Sign in to follow this  
selene

HELP Croup - when to go to hospital

selene

Right now I am sitting here with my 2yo who has croup and 2 middle ear infections. She is exhausted after a rough night and fast asleep in my arms.

My question is when having a coughing fit and vomitting etc.. at what point is it bad enough to take her to hospital??

We have a nebuliser here at home with some medication (pulmacort) from the dr. We gave her one dose last night which she fought against and it seemed to just upset her more.... but it is playing on my mind should I have taken her to hospital...and what will I do if it hapens again tonight. Right now her breathing is very raspy but she is not strugglling.

What do I do???

bubbas

I was told by my GP if the coughing is very bad and constant to take my daugher to hospital (it tends to happen most often in the middle of the night). Usually it's ok, but sometimes it can turn serious quickly and cause problems with breathing so best to be safe.

Alternatively, you could join one of those 24 hour family medical groups. You pay around $50 a year for family membership and it means you can call for a doctor to come to your home after hours, which might be easier than taking poor bubs into hospital and waiting. The wait at home for the doctors to come out can be a while, sometimes 4 or 5 hours, but if it's not overly serious it could be worth having someone to come out to check in the middle of the night rather than wait until the next day. If you want the contact details let me know.

Guest emmando

Hi

Sorry your little one is going through this.

DS had croup really bad and we took him to hospital. DD had it and i panicked and tookher to the docs who re-assured me she wasnt bad enough to go to hospital. Doc said it was a matter of how often they coughed. ie DS was coughing maybe once every 10 seconds or so whereas DD was coughing maybe every 2 mins.

However the medicine didnt really work for either whereas a humidifier with eucalyptus oil really helped quickly.

BUT - neither of my kids vomitted at all. Is she vomitting because she is wretching or is there something else wrong too? Id be seeing the doc again as she must be completely exaughsted (sp?) and so must you.

Hope she gets better soon.

Em

Em 32

DH Simon 32

DS Toby 5

DD Charlotte Isabel 22/3/5 (IUI#1 after TTC since May 2000)

2e8d.jpg

gonzi

We've had the croup nightmare too - and I sympathise with you. It is horrid. From what I understand, its the coughing that makes them vomit. My DD always vomits if she has a bad cough (croup or even just a cold)- it's just her gag reflex working when the cough starts to irritate her throat. It's a by-product of the cough- not part of croup.

The key to dealing with croup is to keep your baby calm throughout the attack. And there is usually 2-3 attacks before it starts to get better. We used to sit in the lounge with the wiggles on and she would miraculously calm down. Croup is scary for kids and their fear makes the cough worse.

When there is a stridor (the hoarse, rasping intake of breath) it is good to get medical help. Hospitals give steroids now, don't use steam anymore. My GP prescribed the steroids after one bad night and we treated her the following night and we had no further problems.

Cool air can also help - wrap your baby warmly and pop outside for a minute.

Good luck!

Me 36

DP 31

DD Elizabeth born 4/3/04

94ee.jpg?ph27PHDBDElCIggJ

selene

Thanks for your replies. I guess I will just have to wait and see how she goes tonight.

How long generally do the attacks last? I am not sure what to call an attack?

Thanks

selene

Thanks for your replies. I guess I will just have to wait and see how she goes tonight.

How long generally do the attacks last? I am not sure what to call an attack?

Thanks

Blueflower

Hi,

the last 3 episodes of croup my ds has had we have had to take him to hospital. And we always took him when the stridor got really really bad.

would start wheezing, would hardly cough would just be a terrible stridor which would get worse and worse. he would start shaking from the effort of breathing and then start vomiting.

Ive taken him up on gut instint. When everything i have tried at home doesnt work its time to go.

Cause the last 2 times he has required adrenilian in a nebuliser and the steriods to open up his airways we know have to take him in at the first signs of croup. No hanging around

Vanessa

Daniel 09.03.99 Tamara 07.01.01

Joshua 05.09.03 Byron 06.06.05

by.jpg