Sign in to follow this  
4+4

? Nit (head lice) allergy

4+4

My children got nits for the first time about a month ago. I managed to get rid of all of them in 3 children, but the eggs have persisted in DD2. I have been using Nads egg removal on her hair. Anyway, to cut a long story short, last night I was checking her hair and she said she had a bump. When I checked out what it was, she had quite a lump on her neck and a couple of smaller ones on the nape of her neck. I freaked out a bit and phoned the dr to make an appointment for her to see her today. Anyway, this morning DD woke up with a rash on her neck and shoulders. When the dr saw it she thought it looked like an allergic reaction. She asked if we had changed anything that we use, but as DD2 has allegies we are very careful about what we use. Then the Dr sees nits crawling all over DD2's head. It seems that the eggs all hatched at the same time and DD was having an allergic reaction to them!! I have never heard of this before! She is allergic to c*ckroaches, so I guess it sort of makes sense! So we started her on a hydocortosoine cream and the rash has all but dissappeared, and I spent all afternoon putting conditioner on her hair and combing out literally hundreds of yucky nits.

Now to my questions. Has anyone heard of a nit allergy before? Our school is nut free because we have children who attend who are allergic to nuts, do you think I could be cheeky and ask that the school be nit free too ;p? Maybe then the child who keeps re-infecting my DD, and whom no doubt my DD adds to, will be treated!!

Ali

Mum to Katy, Tessa, Tadhg, Luka and 4 sweet angels.

previously known as Tadhgsmum.

1/2aDozen

Yes... I think you should! Maybe that minority of parents who don't bother might think twice about ridding their poor kids of lice...

Your poor DD - it is bad enough when they get the horrid bugs but to be allergic as well... Hope they all disappear quickly...

Tuzi...xxxx...

DD... 9 in July

DS... 6 last March

DS... 3 in October

D?... C/S 30 December

4+4

Thanks Tuzi.

I went thru her hair again this morning and no sign of the lice, but still plenty of eggs. Treating again, hope to get them all this time.

I think I will approach the headmaster, she is quite good, and say to her in a jokey manner that maybe the school should become nit free, and see where she takes it from there. At the least I would imagine she would put a note in the newsletter letting them know that a child has an allergy!

Ali

Mum to Katy, Tessa, Tadhg, Luka and 4 sweet angels.

previously known as Tadhgsmum.