Mary S

Discussing santa

Mary S

Hi

I am wondering how people went about discussing Santa when their kids became older. Eg Christmas is about thinking of others, remember to  be kind to others... the spirit of Christmas... how did Kids react? (re: breaking the news re Santa!)

No Drama Please

I didn’t break it at all! I waited for them to get the idea that Santa wasn’t real then made them beg more to tell the truth. Then I took them out alone for a treat, gave them the “are you sure you’re ready, it’s a big deal to find out, and you can never ever tell younger children” so she felt like a co-conspirator in on the secret.

The thinking of others we just kind of always brought the cards at the mall where you can donate presents or you can buy presents and leave them unwrapped (also at mall) and their school does a Christmas hamper delivery to a local shelter and their after school care gets you to donate a present then they raffle for charity. There’s gifts at work we donate so they come and choose some with me.

So just little incidental things done around the same time, they kind of picked up themselves that if you have enough for yourself you need to share to make sure people don’t miss out.

BadCat

They figured it out at some stage and let me know when they were ready for the truth.  I never bothered with the message of Christmas stuff.

• Like 1

seayork2002

Ds13 knows but we have not had a talk he just now knows, we still do a stocking etc. but there is no tag saying from Santa.

When he was little Santa bring presents there was no big discussion at the beginning either it just happened 

Edited by seayork2002

Jenflea

Today Dd said sometimes she thinks Santa isn't real, and sometimes she still believes, but she's 10 now and starting to think of this stuff, lol. 

She didn't come right out and ask me, if she had I would have told her, but I did tell her this is the last year for a Santa gift. Both my family and DH's stopped gifts from Santa at 10 so it's tradition I guess now. 

doubledelight

I waited until they were ready to question it and I simply reflected back the questions for them to reach the logical conclusion.  We established a number of non Santa traditions so it wasn't a huge thing.  My sister had to tell my niece before she went to High School because my niece was quite naive.

• Like 2

lozoodle

I'm just rolling with it. They'll figure it out soon enough. Eldest most definitely probably knows given she's in year 6, but who am I to say anything? She's the kind to just go along with it anyway haha. 

They've all got ipads, I'm sure they've googled if curious...

• Like 1