Sign in to follow this  
new beginning

Jobseeker and tax question

new beginning

Hi, 

I work 20 hours per week and I don’t usually get much jobseeker but now that I get the corona virus supplement on top of jobseeker I’m a bit concerned that I don’t get tax taken out .
I didn’t even realise this was an option until I was talking to someone today about it . How do I set up that my jobseeker takes tax out each fortnight ? Or does this have to be done when applying ?

I was going through a breakup when I applied for the then called Newstart and all the paperwork is very much a blur to me. 
I now worried that I’ll get a big tax bill 

Edited by new beginning

BadCat

You can set up a tax deduction from your jobseeker payment through your online account if you have one. 

new beginning

Thank you . Do they take out what is meant to be taken out or do I just request an estimate ? 

Edited by new beginning

new beginning

Thanks for the link . Yes I am claiming the tax free threshold for my job .  
I will have savings to pay the money I owe but just annoyed with myself that I didn’t know that this was an option 

Edited by new beginning

Paddlepop

That sucks, but at least you've realised now before any tax bill gets bigger. When DH went onto Newstart we were surprised to learn that it was taxable. 

new beginning

Definitely sucks. I’m not sure if I should just leave it and pay it at tax time or have a fiddle with it on the app later on - it’s down at the moment. Not really sure how it works if I’m claiming the tax free threshold on my job . 

how does this work if you have to make an adjustment to your fortnightly jobseeker reporting income ? 
I’m totally confused with how it works 

Edited by new beginning

Paddlepop

For DH he put in his tax return and got the tax paid refunded that way. His income was under the tax free threshold for all income for the financial year. I had no idea he'd nominated to have tax taken out until he'd done it and then it couldn't be changed for his particular payment (NEIS via Centrelink). Words were said. Air was blue. Once that payment ended and he went onto ordinary Newstart he didn't have tax taken out.

Edit: he didn't ask for tax to be taken out once he changed over to Newstart. 

Edited by Paddlepop

new beginning

Ok . Thanks heaps . I’ll look in to it 

new beginning

All done now . It’s good to know I can do this online . Thanks for your help 

• Like 1

Lesley225

Nearly all social security payments are  taxable except for things like the blind pension and DSP.

So if you've worked for part of the year  then gone on USB then it's a good to get money withheld so you don't end up with a bill.