José

Fluffy air con question..

José

So, who do you think should choose whether or not the a/c is on in a situation like the following.....

Person A. This person struggles with heat. However they are outside chilling/ reading/ talking to neighbours but would like the a/c on so the house is cool ready for when they do enter.

Person B. Tolerates heat much better. When person A complains of heat person B is completely comfortable.  Person B is inside and would prefer to wait for person A to enter the house before turning the a/c on. 

So, WDYT? Person B gets to choose when they are the only person inside? Or Person As significant discomfort means they should put a/c on even if they aren't in the house? 

Freddie'sMum

Air con on even if person A is outside the house.  I am person A - I hate the heat.  I would think it if I was outside and DH was inside that the air con was turned on before I walked back in.  Did I mention that I hate the heat ?

amdirel

Person A wins IMO.

But, how long are we talking here? Like, half an hour? Or do they want the air con on 24/7? It's got to be a reasonable time.

seayork2002

I may need more wine to come up with an answer 

• Like 1

BadCat

This is yet another reason why I do not intend to get a new person B.

Air con does what I tell it to and anyone who doesn't like it is free to dress accordingly.

In the OP's case however, person inside chooses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Jenflea

We keep ours on from about 11.30 Am till 10 pm in summer, keeps the house at a nice even temperature and it's cheaper to maintain a temperature than cool a hot house fast or heat a cold house fast. Luckily we both seem to be pretty even when it comes to house temps though I run hotter in summer than he does. 

In this scenario I'm with A. The house will take time to cool down, but if person A feels the heat, why are they outside in it??? 

-Emissary-

I’m person B and DH is person A. I get final say as I get cold when the air con is on for a long time. 

We have new split systems throughout the house though that cools down the room very fast (and leaves it freezing in most case...)

Paddlepop

Person A is full of crap. Person B gets to choose.

If person A truly struggles with the heat they would not be outside hanging out with the neighbours. They'd be inviting them inside into the air con, or inside the neighbours' house in their air con. If person A struggles with the heat they absolutely would not be outside reading a book. They'd be outside for only essential things for the minimum amount of time and then be scurrying back into the cool of the air con.

Going outside for 5 minutes to take out the rubbish, check the mail, invite the neighbours over for drink later? Not a problem. Of course the air con stays on. Going outside for 30+ mins and expecting the air con to stay on so they can cool down straight away? GTFO. Selfish, especially if person B is freezing their a*se off in the air con. 

Air conditioning is glorious but it's expensive. Clearly person A is rich or never sees the power bill. 

• Like 3

unicycle

If person A is menopausal, they win. No contest,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Bandwagon

I was person A until I was 40 something and then I was person B and now I can’t remember the question.

• Haha 4

*Ker*

Why are they even hanging out outside if they're heat sensitive?

• Like 2

~Jolly_F~

Person A wins here.

Person A is fine if they need to be outside but once they come into the house to settle, they struggle. Which I understand because I often feel the same after needing to be out in the heat, the aircon is a welcome change. 

Plus I like being able to still wear long pjs and use my doona because aircon is on! 

Squeekums The Elf
14 hours ago, José said:

So, who do you think should choose whether or not the a/c is on in a situation like the following.....

Person A. This person struggles with heat. However they are outside chilling/ reading/ talking to neighbours but would like the a/c on so the house is cool ready for when they do enter.

Person B. Tolerates heat much better. When person A complains of heat person B is completely comfortable.  Person B is inside and would prefer to wait for person A to enter the house before turning the a/c on. 

So, WDYT? Person B gets to choose when they are the only person inside? Or Person As significant discomfort means they should put a/c on even if they aren't in the house? 

B

Why should B be cold inside when A isnt even inside, especially if B has no reason to go outside

In our house im B. I HATE cold and DO turn off the AC if DP goes out say popping to neighbours or the shop. My thinking is, longer than 15 min out? Off the AC goes

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Both DH and I are both Person B (although I do tend to feel the heat before DH).

Air con is turned on when needed. If you are not in the house, you don't get a say on when the air con is turned on.

Bandwagon
10 hours ago, Bandwagon said:

I was person A until I was 40 something and then I was person B and now I can’t remember the question.

I was drunk last night and got my As and Bs around the wrong way. I am definitely B now, cannot do heat anymore.

• Haha 1

Bandwagon

O

Just now, Bandwagon said:

I was drunk last night and got my As and Bs around the wrong way. I am definitely B now, cannot do heat anymore.

**** I got it wrong again. I give up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

IamOzgirl

I leave air con on 24/7 when I am home. This winter's electricity bill (when it was on when NO ONE WAS HOME) was the same as last winter (when turned on and off) 

Temperature adjustments if needed. 

Edited by IamOzgirl
Grammar
  • Like 2

Lesley225

My house is pretty cool, i can usually leave it off till about 1 pm, never leave it on overnight, put it on timer for 30-60 mins unless V hot and have the fan on high.

Sandra

Throw person B a blanket 😎😎😂😂😂

amdirel

So come on OP, fess up- are you person A or person B??

• Like 1