1. 1. Would you spend $200 on a frypan?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, even if I could afford it

Hypnic Jerk

Frypan?

(answer before reading on)

Yes, we can afford it, but still.

I've been eyeing these off for a while, sat down and had a serious look at them got to the cart and when adding postage plus GST it came in at almost $400.

We have a bunch of crappy warped and wonky handled one of various brands including Bacarat and Analon.  

MumsyToBigOnes

Absolutely and have done. If you can afford it, then it’s a false economy otherwise. For years I bought pans such as Scanpan and while they claimed to be long lasting I would only get 5 years max out of a frypan and at the end, oh boy the state of those frypans would be absolutely horrendous! Given that I researched heavily and spent an absolute fortune and 10 years later they are in the same state as the day I got them so adding up the years, while a large investment up front, overall it’s better in $$ terms. 

Jenflea

Yeah, in a heartbeat. 

Good quality cookware is worth the investment. 

BUT I'd never buy online without actually seeing one in person. You need to make sure they aren't too heavy for you. 

And my Scanpans have lasted 10 years, easy.  Only had an issue with one or 2 when they had a bad batch of coating stuff. 

• Like 2

ImperatorFuriosa

I have. 😅

MumsyToBigOnes

*And my Scanpans have lasted 10 years, easy.*
Were they frypans? My scanpan saucepans (from milk size to large stock/soup) were okay but the frypans, nope. One of the more frequently used casserole size saucepan was starting to show signs of wear but others were all fine. The constant round of frypans every 5 years left a sour taste so I gave the saucepans which were still absolutely fine away when I upgraded. Ditched the casserole pan (think it was called low Dutch oven pan or similar).

Liahonna

I am assuming wrought iron that will last until your grandkid's grandkids? Then yes, anything else no matter what they advertise nopety nope.

• Like 2

Sugarplum Poobah

If you're buying solidteknics, then absolutely yes. If you're buying something with a non-stick coating then that would be a hard no.

• Like 5

Jenflea

I've had the frypans for years, they aren't as easy to look after as they claim though, you can't use  a high heat on the older coating(the new coating takes a higher heat and is tougher) and you can't say, cut a steak with a knife to check if it's cooked in the middle while it's in the pan or it cuts into the coating lol, which I found out the hard way. 

I hand wash mine though, no dishwasher which may make a difference.  They're still my preferred cookware, I hate SS frypans!

• Like 1

wilding

Not while my young adult is still living under my roof :whistle:

They left the oven on overnight with my baking tray in as an example so hmmm yep nope.

Edited by wilding

Daffy2016

I wouldn’t, but I’m a terrible cook so for me it wouldn’t be a good investment. I’d be better off spending the money on takeout.

We have a tefal frypan and wok that have lasted really well. Kmart used to have 40% off reasonably regularly so they were pretty cheap.

But the quality of my pots and pans would horrify many EBers, I’m sure! 😂

• Like 2

WaitForMe

I've come close but always end up deciding to leave it to later.

I noticed Ikea has some single piece cast iron pans at reasonable prices I think I'll probably go for those next.

Amica

Yes, my work horse fry pan set me back just over $300. Not for the set, just in it's own. I researched my saucepans and ended up buying individual All Clad pieces. I don't like sets. You pay for items you don't need. I'd rather invest in quality items that I do need. 

I bought my knives as individuals as well and not sets and have spent around that same $300 mark on one knife. That was 10 years ago now and they are still AMAZING. best money I ever spent. So so nice to work with. 

• Like 2

Squeekums The Elf
4 hours ago, wilding said:

Not while my young adult is still living under my roof :whistle:

They left the oven on overnight with my baking tray in as an example so hmmm yep nope.

Im 32 and would still manage to do that....

Even DD worries when i cook

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

overlytired

I would, BUT...

Only if there isn't anything of comparable quality for less.

For example, I'll buy an un-enameled cast iron pan for under $50 (Lodge, or a vintage find) before I bought a $200 Le Creuset version.

• Like 2

Jenflea

I found the Aldi enamelled cast iron for around $30 to be just as good as the Le Crueset ones. 

• Like 2

amdirel

For a non stick one? Nope. They never seem to last.

For a not non stick one, maybe. Depends how long it's supposed to last.

• Like 1

overlytired
1 hour ago, Jenflea said:

I found the Aldi enamelled cast iron for around $30 to be just as good as the Le Crueset ones. 

We don't have Aldi here.

Ozquoll

Never on non-stick, I hate the stuff and they always seem to get scratched.

I spent just over $100 on my best frypan, and it felt like a lot...but that was nearly twenty years ago and it's still going strong, so.. 👍

wilding
1 hour ago, MadMarchMasterchef said:

https://soko.com.au/products/powder-coated-shower-caddy-black?variant=31253001797680&currency=AUD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2019-06-17&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwMP9BRCzARIsAPWTJ_GBc4IV0hIJrZ2g6i5HoEO0v8cyPDN5Z8d3DbHdCFijz27HSeU5J3QaAkvdEALw_wcB

Another item Im covetting.  Not this exact one but saw a powder coated stainless steel black shower caddy with a lifetime warranty but it was $130.  Is it money well spent?  Well probably because you might otherwise buy 10 of the $12 ones from kmart.   But can you guarantee it would really last a lifetime?   

I wish these sat properly in my shower. Have tried many in a lifetime and they never seem to work.

• Like 1

Jenflea

My SS shower caddy from (I think) Howards Storage has lasted me YEARS!  Those cheap plastic coated ones are horrible though, we had one of those first.  That black one looks pretty nice too though lol

• Like 1

wilding
On 14/11/2020 at 10:30 PM, MadMarchMasterchef said:

I get your dilemma though OP!  I am coveting the following as I think it would make my kitchen so much neater and they would be much easier to clean than the random assortment of wooden boards we have, but I just cant justify $140 for chopping boards. 

https://www.hobbywarehouse.com.au/joseph-joseph-folio-4-piece-chopping-set-stainless-steel.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnb79BRDgARIsAOVbhRraZIZgOjbkr0GUpQpWljFjMjmMepkOQPyAbhULpYFepfSU4aDj82saAmijEALw_wcB

Thought I had replied to this to earlier 🤣 but nope. I'm sleep procrastinating.

I have the cheaper one of the chopping boards, the nesting utensils and nesting bowls with the cups in it. Highly recommend.

• Like 1

qak

$200 - yes; $400 would be no from me. And not for non-stick, they just don't last whatever price they are.

I agree you need to feel how heavy it is, I can't get over the weight of some frying pans, I would need the 2nd handle for a lot of them.

• Like 2

wilding
4 hours ago, MadMarchMasterchef said:

Oh do you mean you have the coloured plastic Joseph Joseph chopping boards?  They look really nice too. 

:yes: that's the one. I'm really rough handed and they have lasted me.

• Like 1

Jenflea

That could be what I have. 

• Like 1

dadwasathome

We have a lot of IKEA of all sorts of things, including our non-stick frypans. Given our history with non-stick pans, we reasons none of them last more than a couple of years, so $40 at IKEA 

We've been procrastinating on updating other cookware, but I'd like this pan 

Edited by dadwasathome
  • Like 1