Aimless

Family activities at night

Aimless

Hi all, I’m very curious to see what other families do on a weeknight, particularly those with school-aged children. Do you take time as a family to do an activity together every night, ie. board games, watching TV together, etc? Or do you let your kids do their own thing? 

seayork2002

Scouts now, joey's then cubs and tv/games and a few other little random things when he was younger but at 13 we are cramping his style a little bit

amdirel
1 hour ago, Aimless said:

Do you take time as a family to do an activity together every night

Hell no.

Lol I mean, umm no, not at the moment. When they were primary age we would have dinner together, occasionally a game, or a beach walk. Mostly they had extracurricular activities on.

Nowadays, it's all extracurricular activities on and off all afternoon/evening, and other than that, we do our own thing. My two boys especially I try to keep as far away from each other as possible, to save all the frigging fighting and narkiness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Jenflea

No, I don't like board games and by the time Dh is home it's dinner time, then DD plays for a bit or we watch some TV or whatever then it's bed time.  I let DD(10) mostly do what she wants till it's time to get ready for bed. 

None of us are into 'family activities' really very often. 

ImperatorFuriosa

Nope, we just chill. DS1 17 does whatever in his room, DS2 11 is on his tablet or reads or watches TV, DP games or we watch TV and I read.

No Drama Please

There’s nothing regular, just depends on what we want to do. Sometimes a couple of us go to the shops,  the others stay home, sometimes we watch Netflix or YouTube, sometimes we go for a walk, sometimes we do our own thing. It’s all downtime so we try not to schedule everything into a routine.

WaitForMe

We have dinner as a family, then I take one child and the dog for a walk while DH stays home and plays a game with the other - its more about one on one time for us. Then we all get ready for bed. Prior to that, theres about 30-60mins on tablets/laptops between getting home and having dinner on weeknights.

• Like 1

littleboysmum

I work all day and then come home and unpack bags, do washing, sort dinner, bath and shower kids and then they watch some tv and go to bed. I then work all night until 11- midnight doing all the work I need to get done in order to go back to work tomorrow and do it all again. Fun times over here. 

• Like 1

Ruby red shoes

Kids play outside from about 3pm til 4ish. Ds1 and I do readers together. Dd practices her flute. I try to set ds2 up with drawing, play dough or cars etc.  whilst siblings are doing homework. We have dinner at about 4:30/5pm. I find if it’s too late the boys are overtired.

Kids then do puzzles, read books, draw to wind down. Then showers, teeth, read books together ad bed.

Friday afternoon and weekends are our technology time. I find if we have screen time during the week it’s unpleasant to get them off of it. They do some at school anyway.

lozoodle

No we just chill. We have a lot of sport related stuff on most days so when at home its just do whatever. 

Let-it-go

God no.

We do eat dinner at the table together most nights. 

• Like 2

hills mum bec

We eat dinner together when we can but quite often one of the teenagers will be working or have sport or DH or I will have some kind of meeting to attend or a work commitment.  No watching TV together during the week, by the time we finish dinner it is not long until youngest has to go to bed and we all like watching different stuff so we will usually all do our own thing after dinner.  On Friday nights we do try to sit down and watch some TV all together or a movie or sometimes a board game.  

AllyK81

We do. We eat dinner together then after the kids have had a shower we will either play a board game or I'll read aloud to them. Mine are 5 & 7 so a bit younger and they go to bed pretty early. Depending on how long they take to eat dinner we might have an hour at most to spend together before they go to bed.

If we're at our beach house we will go for a beach walk after dinner.

We don't really watch TV much but if the weather is dreary we might watch a nature documentary together or the film adaptation of a book we have read together. I have bought them a Switch for Christmas so I expect there will be some competitive play on that as a family in our future!

Lees75

My kids are older now, 17 and 14. We don't often get to eat dinner together, due to sports commitments, homework, etc. But most nights we try and watch an episode of our current family show together. We always try and have a show that we watch together - currently we are working our way through The Flash. Then I try and have a show that I watch with each child to watch when the other child is not home, or wants to chill in their room. So DS17 and I are making our way through The Arrow, and DD14 and I are currently watching random YouTube stuff, as we can't find a show since we finished Fuller House. 

• Like 2

Crombek

We are only home before 5.30pm 1 school night per week. My kids are still little & I'm often solo parenting for weeks on end so it's a perpetual exhausted scramble to do dinner, baths, kids bed, house chores, paid work stuff & organising the next day.

Weekends are more sport & family commitments but we try to have at least 1 night a week where we do something together. Well, we try to stop miss 3 from ruining whatever family activity we are vainly attempting, anyway! 

Ruf~Feral~es

Nope.   When they were younger (8and 9 or thereabouts) we tried to have a Wednesday games night.  It didn't happen often.  

Now they are 15 and 16, it's all just driving, pick ups, drop offs, etc.  They both have different extra-curricular at two different schools, so just coordinating their timetable is a task in itself.  

We do occasionally watch a show together if we happen to be eating dinner at the same time - usually Mad as Hell, QI or Hard Quiz, or reruns of Spicks and Specks.

I think on a "judgement" level, we are pretty bad, really.  We've never really eaten dinner together.  We are not the family that does heaps of stuff "as a family", or even focused on 1 on 1 time with each child.  I don't really care though.  We are all close, we get on well enough, and everyone seems relatively happy on the whole, with the usual amount of bickering, fighting, teenage angst etc.

One thing I will say though, is that DH and I are finally finding time to prioritise time for us - generally a quick dinner out between dropping off and picking up one or the other child.  It's not much, but it's something!  :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Treasure Island

We mainly do our own thing but sometimes they like to watch a movie with me or make me watch youtube videos 🙄

MadMarchMasterchef

We have 1.5, 8 and 10yo.  2 nights a week the girls have netball and one night they have swimming so that only leaves 2 weeknights.  We do usually try to play outside / garden so that they have some exercise every day.  We also do puzzles and board games, play lego,  draw and paint.  And occasionally play mario kart 😛 

No girls here

During school terms we have things on every night of the week so we rarely do anything as a family. We try to make the most of it when we are on holidays and do heaps of board/card games and other family stuff.