crazypenguin

Roast-free Christmas

crazypenguin

For various reasons it looks like our Christmas is going to be very small this year, maybe just my mum, me and my kids (3&6). My husband might pop in if he gets away from work. I'm not cooking a roast for such a small group, I don't really enjoy them and neither do the kids. But what do I cook? Something delicious, preferably mostly prepared before the day. I enjoy cooking so up for a challenge but don't want to spend the day in the kitchen. I'm thinking grazing platter and maybe seafood? Any ideas??

Etta

Lasagne is a huge treat in my book. You can cook the day before and freeze uneaten portions. Then serve with salad or vegies depending on the weather.

Or ask your kids what they would have if they could choose (don't commit!).

lizzybirdsworth

Grazing plate sounds fantastic or a dessert one if you want something more sit down for lunch. 
could do 

pastas

lasagne

bbq

Hamburgers 

I love the traditional roast but if I couldn’t do that they are my options

tweedle-dee

If you are into seafood, salmon fillets are a treat and often a Xmas day meal in our house. Popped into some foil with some lemon and herbs, and cooked in the oven. Quick and easy, served with some (for us at least, pre-purchased) fancy salads or grazing type sides. Quick and easy, and not something we normally have

• Like 1

tweedle-dee
43 minutes ago, Etta said:

Or ask your kids what they would have if they could choose (don't commit!).

Actually, this! This reminded me of what we got to do as kids on Christmas lunch :)

JBH

I think I’d have a go at curing a side of salmon. Make blini or buy some good bread to slice thinly and toast, some creme fraiche, maybe some salmon roe, thinly sliced cucumbers. 

• Like 2

Jenflea

I'm doing a duck salad this year with a cherry glaze/dressing. Made it last year and it was a hit with the other 2 so DD asked for it again. 

If I had more than 3 people though I would do smoked salmon, sliced meats, pickles, olives, etc. I love me a picky platter!

• Like 2

Jenflea

You could also buy a ready made roast chicken and serve it cut up cold the next day with salads. 

Let-it-go

Duck sounds delicious!  
I’d definitely do some yummy seafood of some description.

blimkybill

Seafood with fancy salads for sure if you are into it. Seafood is a bit wasted on me so I would either do a BBQ with some marinated kebabs plus fancy salads,  or a really nice tart/quiche with salads. 

Pooks_

Cold ham , potato salad, some fancy christmassy salad with pomegranate and mandarin pieces or something posh like that. Then go nuts on desserts, to me it’s all about daytime desserts. 

Edited by Pooks_
  • Like 7

Lovesherboy

We are having a big family dinner but maybe the can help 

fried rice 

potato bake 

we are doing this with lamb and pork in slow cooker so we have no cooking as such just put it in and eat 

PuddingPlease

I'm a fan of soft cheese and seafood for Christmas. I asked my kids what they liked to eat for Christmas and my eldest immediately said she wanted the Vietnamese roast duck and pork that my parents get from a local shop so that's basically our menu planned. 

I also think a big ham on the bone, eaten however you like, is yummy and feels special without requiring hours of hard labour to prepare. 

• Like 1

Team Awesome

One of our favourites it’s to have rolled chicken breast stuffed with home made basil spinach cashew pesto and mozzarella. It’s delicious. We make it the day before and eat it cold and sliced with white and sweet potato salad. Yum. Already looking forward to it

• Like 2

PocketIcikleflakes

A degustation?

We did that one year and it was really fun. If you choose the courses carefully you can have a lot of it prepared the day before. The courses you do on the day will likely be less time consuming because each one is small, plus you have a break between each one.

And you avoid that over stuffed feeling.

• Like 1

can'tstayaway

We used to go to the beach for Christmas when the kids were younger and because it was stinking hot, people dropping in throughout the day, we did cold platters.

Cold platters of seafood with various salsas, sauces and dips for everyone to customise to their tastes.  Cold platters of roast chicken with stuffing and roast veg on the side.  Sliced ham and some salads.  Bread rolls or baguettes with butter. 

They would just sit in the fridge and everyone could help themselves from the fridge - 30C+ days so it was normal from a food hygiene point of view.  No flies to worry about either.

Some years I would cook it (mainly when pregnant and concerned about food poisoning).  Some years I would order it all from a deli for total ease.  

Also, some breakfast yogurt muesli cups can look very festive for very little effort.  And mimosas.  Or juice with sparkly water if you prefer. 

Lesley225
On 03/11/2020 at 7:37 PM, Jenflea said:

I'm doing a duck salad this year with a cherry glaze/dressing. Made it last year and it was a hit with the other 2 so DD asked for it again. 

If I had more than 3 people though I would do smoked salmon, sliced meats, pickles, olives, etc. I love me a picky platter!

Recipe?  Sounds interesting and suitably special for christmas

GlitteryElfFarts

We are looking at doing the roasts in the webbers and maybe just chucking some peeled whole potatoes and butter wrapped in foil in as well. Then just doing cold meats and salads. A grazing platter sounds good, but with too many with bad immune systems it is a no go here.

We do a lot of fruit as well as cheeses.

Riotproof

For that kind of scenario. I would ask everyone what one thing they'd love.. who cares if its a mishmash? Can always add a salad.. 

• Like 3

BadCat

Christmas is for 3 people in this house. Has been for some years now.

I just buy a cooked turkey buffe, a small ham off the bone, and some salads.  No cooking, no making, no messing about.  Open a few things, cut some stuff up, and bingo, all done.

Dessert is more interesting.  This year I'll probably do a basic chocolate cake and each person can add icing, jam, cream, jelly, ice cream, strawberries, sprinkles, chocolate topping, or whatever their festive little hearts desire.

Easy is my main requirement.

• Like 4

Jenflea

@Lesley225 it was  a make it up kinda recipe. 

I bought 2 Love a Duck brand ready made duck breasts, heated them in the oven and while that happened, made a glaze of tinned cherries and balsamic vinegar. Sliced the warm duck, spooned the glaze over and served it on a bed of mixed lettuce leaves.  there may have been cucumber slices too, possibly some feta crumbled? I forget lol. 

• Like 3

Lesley225

Actually you are making my mouth water now.  I like the idea being a rich and something  you wouldn't normally have recipe.  I could also see adding some walnuts or pecans?

• Like 1

Cersei

We normally go for seafood

Jenflea

Pecans would be good, I hate walnuts! Pomegranate arils would be good too, very festive on the green. 

(feral)epg

Go straight to dessert.

• Like 2