Sign in to follow this  
wombats

Applying to look after a guide dog puppy

wombats

I really want to apply to be a carer for a guide dog puppy through guide dogs qld.  They do it in two 6ish month bits, 2 months to 8 months and then 8 months to full time training. I'd be looking at the older chunk.

Theoretically I can tick (literally on the form!) all their boxes but I'm worried that my lack of recent dog ownership and zero official obedience training experience might put me out of the running.

Does anyone have any experience of being accepted or rejected as a guide dog puppy carer and can share their application experience?

1ds1dd

Will PM you....

wombats

Thank you

QuirkyMum

Just give them a call OP. 
They (NSW Guide dogs) were not fased by NO  experience with dogs, only cared that I have time and a house with backyard that is fully fenced. They explained everything, offered “trials” by looking after a young dog for a weekend or 2 days here- 2 days there during school holidays, connected with experienced Carers in my area, the ones that actively meet up at the time of the week and day of the week when I’m available.

In the end we both agreed it is not the best time when baby was on the way and a special needs kid was a bit anxious so it didn’t work out for us ( or for a young doggy!) but OP I’d encourage you give them a call! Everyone I spoke to were lovely! And I was upfront with my fears and concerns. I wouldn’t entrust a dog in my care!:)

Mrs Zee

We did it in NSW. I agree with QuirkyMum that that wasn't a factor for us at all. NSW is a bit different as you have the puppy in your home for 12 months. 

Would do it again in a heartbeat. 

wombats

I'm in the process of asking my work if they would be OK with a puppy coming in regularly. If they say yes I think I will apply. Hard to judge the scale of the commitment though..... 

• Like 1

Greatmum

We wanted to do it but they said unless you are home everyday they won’t even consider you. 

• Like 1

wombats
1 hour ago, Greatmum said:

We wanted to do it but they said unless you are home everyday they won’t even consider you. 

In QLD? They  now say busy working families for older pups. 

Greatmum

No nsw.  I work part time and they said no someone had to b home everyday

Edited by Greatmum

wilding

Woot, fingers crossed. It's something I have always dreamed of doing, but at the moment my lifestyle doesn't fit with it.

• Like 1