JacJ

Daughter named Ines

JacJ

Hi, I’m looking for other parents in Australia who have a daughter named Ines.  I LOVED the name but I’m wondering how you handle constant mispronounced - like The town Glen ‘Innes’ in NSW. We say In-ESS, they say INN-us.  It’s very subtle but very grating on me. I didn’t name her the male ‘Innes’. I’ve never met another child Ines, I’ve had friends say their nonna/great aunt was pronounced EE-nus which is obvs a bit wrong sounding for kids now and my daughter HATES that. Any other little honeys named Ines right now and how do you experience it? PS, born before the Reynolds chose the name 😉 Also - not looking for any other opinions on the name, I just want fellow parents of Ines to share/connect please  - thanks 

• Confused 1

Amica

I'm not familiar with the town in NSW that your're talking about so I'm not sure how people pronounce it. 

I don't know how I would pronounce Ines. I have a cousin Iona with a hard I - eye-oh-na, so at my first glance I read in my head - eye-ness (being use to a hard I). Second glance - In-us, with a very short gap between syllables and very short u. 

No help sorry. 

Amica

Just found this. I guess my immediate thought was the American way - eye-ness. 

There seems to be as many pronunciations as there are accents. If you want a specific way, asking for it and correcting people constantly is going to be a life long task. 

My son's name is pronounced differently outside Australia. My husband who is not Australian has adjusted to our accented way. 

Edited by Amica
  • Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

The tv show Married at First Sight might help with people pronoucing Ines, but she was a contraversial contesant.

Also there is a third pronunciation of Glen Innes ( as we have one in NZ), which is "Inn- knees".

• Like 1

Soontobegran

I know of an Inez.  'MAFS'

She is pronounced in-ess.

I have long said that if you name your child a name that is rarely used or is unusual then you just have to understand that people will give it their own twist until they are told differently.

Edited by Soontobegran
  • Like 2

~Jolly_F~

The one I know is pronounced eye-ness... 

It’s just one of those names that is always going to cause some angst and you and your DD are going to forever need to correct people on. 

lazycritter

Love love this name. Ines. 😊

Only met one person with this name and it was pronounced in-ess 

I'm not familiar with the town you've mentioned. 

People are going to pronounce everything incorrectly.  Vowels are difficult for people! Such as calling Emelia - Amelia. 

As long as the people who matter get it right. 

• Like 1

laridae

I would say In-es. That's how I've heard it pronounced in Australia.  In the USA I think it's I-nes.

• Like 2

MooGuru

The only Ines I know (child) is pronounced Ee-ness. 

marple

Only one I knew was Inez - may be a different name altogether. Pronounce In - ez

amdirel
4 hours ago, lazycritter said:

People are going to pronounce everything incorrectly.  Vowels are difficult for people! Such as calling Emelia - Amelia. 

Ok.... I pronounce these the exact same way.... 🤔

1 hour ago, marple said:

Only one I knew was Inez - may be a different name altogether. Pronounce In - ez

I'd pronounce Ines Inn-ez. 

I think you'll just have to keep correcting people OP, there's not really a right and wrong way to pronounce it, just different ways. Try not to get too cranky about it, or you'll be up for years and years of crankiness!

Belaire

I worked with a lady called Ines and she pronounced it Inn-ayyyze and she got seriously upset if people called her anything else.