Nozycat

SAS Australia

Nozycat

Anyone watching?  I have been although I feel uncomfortable with some of it, especially the beating each other up and the murder ball.  Firass is doing my head in but I am impressed with the others and did not expect Ali to do so well.

lozoodle

I haven't but I wanted to, I think I'll start watching on catch up

Kirralee2015

My husband and I have been watching it. My husband is enjoying it and I find it interesting and uncomfortable in equal measure.  The fighting and murderball scenes had me surprisingly upset. I was confronted by how violent it how came across.  No-one was pulling punches.

Firass has me completely puzzled.  Is he acting?  He is coming across as such a numpty but when you look at what is appearing in the media he is saying that someone had to be portrayed as a villain and this time it's him.  I think all the women, except Roxy (but the less said about her the better), are/were equipping themselves well.  It was sad to see the person who left on Tuesday go.  My husband and I have followed them over the years and were aware of mental health issues.  I thought this would be their gig to excel at.  

• Like 1

Squeekums The Elf

Im watching, both me and dp are questioning much of it.  Seems way OTT and a great ad for why NOT to join the armed forces in any level. The dehumanizing of people to numbers, the verbal and physical abuse

We actually like Firass, we think he the only one taking the whole deal for what it is, a REALITY show. Does what needs doing but wont let crap go without comment. I wonder about people who just yes sir no sir fall into line, find it hard to trust them

• Like 2

DirtyStreetPie

That's an interesting perspective on Firass' behaviour, @Squeekums The Elf. He's made a few comments about his portrayal on the show, but it would be good to have a more detailed explanation of what he was thinking during filming, because it's so outside of what people expect in that situation.

I don't watch it any more , though (too unpleasant!).

Squeekums The Elf
12 minutes ago, DirtyStreetPie said:

That's an interesting perspective on Firass' behaviour, @Squeekums The Elf. He's made a few comments about his portrayal on the show, but it would be good to have a more detailed explanation of what he was thinking during filming, because it's so outside of what people expect in that situation.

I don't watch it any more , though (too unpleasant!).

Ive only just seen his and some of the others comments and i kind of agree with him about editing, of course they will show backchat to the leaders, makes interesting tv, as do the others arking up at him cos at the end of the day, its a tv show and seven need viewers, they have money invested

But  thats also what i mean about how fast the others fell into line and i find that odd/off/weird, like how quickly they allowed themselves to be torn down to robots on a REALITY show, not legit training for a war zone.

Like the episode where they were drug and shoved into the mud, blindfolded, then had a gun thrust in their hand and told to shoot. Now at that point in real training, they would have had heaps of  gun training. Most of these celebs have probably never held a gun before that day yet they were screamed at, belittled and abused all like they are gun pros who failed. Thats all for the show at that point, no civilian would just be thrust into that. Firass seems the only one with his head at "this a reality show, not my real life"

We finding it more and more disturbing as the eps go on

• Like 2

Let-it-go

I’m quite pleased someone has started a thread.....I just cannot bring myself to watch it as I find the whole premise so hideous and disturbing.  

But I’m still dying to know how they’re all coping and Firass just sounds bizarre from the recaps.  What is Jackson Warne like?  The recaps are quite complimentary towards him.

Edited by Let-it-go
  • Like 1

steppy

I watched snippets through Goggle Box. I have zero interest in any of the 'celebrities' participating, but the training looked nasty. SAS training is famously horrible. Is it like that? Dunno. It's a reality show. But I can say that a sensible person would never have signed up for this. 

• Like 2

amdirel

I haven't watched.

I can't seem to take seriously a show where one of it's 'celebrities' is a convicted drug smuggler. 

• Like 5

Let-it-go
57 minutes ago, steppy said:

SAS training is famously horrible. Is it like that? 

I have a relative who did it and it’s insanely tough and horrible. 

Riotproof
2 hours ago, steppy said:

I watched snippets through Goggle Box. I have zero interest in any of the 'celebrities' participating, but the training looked nasty. SAS training is famously horrible. Is it like that? Dunno. It's a reality show. But I can say that a sensible person would never have signed up for this. 

Did they show much of it? I’ll watch it on free to air tonight. Normally I let Ds10 watch as well, but I’m thinking not tonight. 

Chchgirl

I've tried twice and lasted about 10 minutes each time, I just can't.

I'd rather watch reruns of Border security 😊

Nozycat

In TV Week Firass says he didn't want to comply and wanted to get punished and see how he coped.  But he is getting the others punished at times as well.  I would hate to have him as part of the team.

DirtyStreetPie
9 hours ago, Squeekums The Elf said:

But  thats also what i mean about how fast the others fell into line and i find that odd/off/weird, like how quickly they allowed themselves to be torn down to robots on a REALITY show, not legit training for a war zone.

You're onto something there. It didn't take them long at all to agree to punch one another. I was horrified, but my husband was all like "but this is military training". And I was like, "really? Assaulting a person who isn't a threat to you is part of training??".

And anyway, it's not real training. It's a TV show. A game. It's messed up how easily people go along with it, and also kinda fascinating.

• Like 3

steppy
8 hours ago, Riotproof said:

Did they show much of it? I’ll watch it on free to air tonight. Normally I let Ds10 watch as well, but I’m thinking not tonight. 

They showed one punching match and someone leaving and a couple of the tasks.

Squeekums The Elf
9 hours ago, Riotproof said:

If your worried in general, and dont blame you, watch the eps first. Some eps seem ok and not to bad then BAM

In one ep Sabrina, the footy player is told to call out and fight someone, she picks nick cummins and he slogs her like she was a dude down the pub. Me and DP were both full WTAF did we just see.

2 hours ago, DirtyStreetPie said:

You're onto something there. It didn't take them long at all to agree to punch one another. I was horrified, but my husband was all like "but this is military training". And I was like, "really? Assaulting a person who isn't a threat to you is part of training??".

And anyway, it's not real training. It's a TV show. A game. It's messed up how easily people go along with it, and also kinda fascinating.

Yep, exactly what me and dp said, if thats training with your mates, id hate to be training to kill the enemy 

We liken it to a train crash, you dont want to watch, but cant look away either.

• Like 2

Riotproof

I’ll only watch it on google box.. it definitely doesn’t sound like my thing based on comments here. 
The only celebrity I have a vague interest in is Merrick and that’s because I listened to him on the radio years ago. 

• Like 2

Nozycat

The other thing I have noticed about Firass is that he uses all these big words but doesn't seem to actually understand them, trying to impress.

• Like 1

Let-it-go

“I wanna jump the chasm of self discovery. To see if I can… actualise. To see if I can become the person I’ve envisioned. I just wanna push myself to excavate.”

😂🤣😂🤣

• Haha 8

DirtyStreetPie

Did he... really say that?

:rofl:

• Like 1

Let-it-go
4 hours ago, DirtyStreetPie said:

Did he... really say that?

:rofl:

Apparently.  But I will confess I’m just reading the recaps.  

• Like 1

Ozquoll
6 hours ago, Let-it-go said:

“I wanna jump the chasm of self discovery. To see if I can… actualise. To see if I can become the person I’ve envisioned. I just wanna push myself to excavate.”

😂🤣😂🤣

I've watched most of the show, and when Firass said that I just rolled my eyes and figured he's on the show because his agent told him it would help his career. It came across as insincere to say the least. 

• Like 2

Caitlin Happymeal

I watched a bit of the first ep, and found that very triggering to be honest. I have always struggled with aggressive forms of motivation, such as certain personal trainers might use. I find yelling at people to be quite a disgusting way of trying to get the best out of them. One of the many reasons I couldn’t be in any form of the military. 

I also don’t have any real interest in the celebs. No one in particular who draws me in. They have selected quite a few “infamous” types, which doesn’t appeal to me. 

even the ads trigger me. I actually leave the room now. 

• Like 2

Sugarplum Poobah
8 hours ago, Caitlin Happymeal said:

I watched a bit of the first ep, and found that very triggering to be honest. I have always struggled with aggressive forms of motivation, such as certain personal trainers might use. I find yelling at people to be quite a disgusting way of trying to get the best out of them. One of the many reasons I couldn’t be in any form of the military. 

I also don’t have any real interest in the celebs. No one in particular who draws me in. They have selected quite a few “infamous” types, which doesn’t appeal to me. 

even the ads trigger me. I actually leave the room now. 

Pretty much this -- both DP and I have loathed what we've seen in the ads. 

Outside of the toughness presumably needed by real SAS personnel, I'm not a fan of the "abuse to get results" line of motivation. It would just make me walk away. My childhood contained enough shouting for a lifetime so I'm not going back for more now.

• Like 3