DQMission

Did anyone else notice this sneaky tactic from The Age?

DQMission

The Age has a banner with Covid new cases on it’s main page. It displays national cases and the Vic rolling average (at least for me).

At the weekend when Daniel Andrews didn’t open up the city as expected and in contravention of Liberal views, the display on the front page changed. For a day or two it only showed the Victorian new cases. So in essence it went from showing new case numbers in the 20’s to the very low 1,2 or even 0 that was achieved in Vic. Once Daniel Andrews announced the eased restrictions, The Age went back to showing national numbers for its new cases. 

Did anyone else notice this? It seems quite subversive and propaganda-y. I doubted what I saw for a few days because it felt so manipulative but I’m sure it happened.

• Confused 2

hills mum bec

I think you are overthinking it.  Victoria had a target in order to ease restrictions.  The target was met, restrictions were eased and there was no longer any need to single out Victoria’s stats, especially considering on paper, NSW now has higher daily case numbers than Vic.

• Like 1

DQMission

The stats showed national new cases right up until Sunday. If it was just about vic interests then why weren’t vic new cases shown in the lead up to Sunday’s announcement? It was only after Andrews didn’t ease restrictions on the Sunday that the stats showed vic new cases. You don’t think that was designed to highlight the low numbers and increase public dissatisfaction?

maryanneK

I've noticed the age really changing direction/tone recently.  Nasty, I don't like it.

• Like 5

dopeydoo
1 minute ago, maryanneK said:

I've noticed the age really changing direction/tone recently.  Nasty, I don't like it.

I agree, am thinking I’ll have to stop reading it, the direction/tone has made living through lockdown a lot harder than it needed to be. 

• Like 2

steppy

And the ABC too. It's all Murdoch now. 

magic_marker

Political expediency should not rule over what is good for citizens': Berejiklian

I thought this headline was rather hypocritical.  Seeing as Vic had from the Feds - open up, open up. But a LNP says it and radio silence.

• Like 3

maryanneK
1 minute ago, dopeydoo said:

I agree, am thinking I’ll have to stop reading it, the direction/tone has made living through lockdown a lot harder than it needed to be. 

Yep. I don't want a propoganda puff piece, or a fake "cheer up" tone, it's a newspaper. Asking questions and being critical/analytical/balanced is fine. - but I don't like the witch-hunt tone that's come out recently

• Like 3