Sign in to follow this  
Ourfirstbaby

Pentavite and Ferro-liquid(iron) on warm bottle

Ourfirstbaby

Hi Mums!

I have been prescribed by doctor to give bub 0.45ml pentavite and 1ml ferroliquid mixed with EBM so he will take it well.

I was just wondering if I can warm the bottle? I have the avent bottle warmer. Which of the following is the correct way?

1. Mix pentavite and iron with cold milk bottle, then warm the milk bottle

2. Warm the milk bottle, then add pentavite and iron

3. Add pentavite and iron to cold milk bottle and do not warm at all. -- havent tried this yet if bubba will like cold milk

Also, do you wash the syringe with soap or just rinse it with warm water is enough?

I ask this because Ive read the below text in pentavite website. Thank you.

It is not recommended to add the Pentavite products to warmed or hot food or liquids as it may denature the vitamins in the formulas. **Can be added to cooled or room temperature foods such as yoghurt, smoothies, cereal etc.

Edited by Ourfirstbaby

Jenflea

I'd try it in cold milk to see if he'll take it first. 

• Thanks 1

.Jerry.

My daughter (born prem) also had Ferro liquid and pentavite.

I just put them in syringe and put straight into her mouth.  She tolerated it well just like that (at same times as a feed).  I tasted it and it wasn't bad. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ruf~Feral~es

Yep, I did the syringe thing before a feed too.  Much easier, and didn't matter if DD didn't finish the whole bottle too.

I also never warmed bottles - just gave them at room temperature, whether it was expressed milk or formula.  They started DD like that in the special care nursery,  so I never changed it.  So much easier than warming it, and she never seemed to care - she didn't know any different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderstruck

We do pentavite in room temp formula. I make the formula and pour a small amount of milk in a separate bottle and put the pentavite in get her to drink that then give the rest of the milk so she gets it all.

In special care if they warmed her bottles of formula or EBM they then added the pentavite after if that helps.

• Thanks 1

Ourfirstbaby
15 hours ago, Ruf~Feral~es said:

Yep, I did the syringe thing before a feed too.  Much easier, and didn't matter if DD didn't finish the whole bottle too.

I also never warmed bottles - just gave them at room temperature, whether it was expressed milk or formula.  They started DD like that in the special care nursery,  so I never changed it.  So much easier than warming it, and she never seemed to care - she didn't know any different.

Yeah I have EBM from fridge so how do you take it to room temp without warming it? He doesn't like it straight from fridge as its too cold.

Ourfirstbaby
17 hours ago, Jenflea said:

I'd try it in cold milk to see if he'll take it first. 

Tried it and he doesn't seem to like cold milk straight from fridge.

Ourfirstbaby
16 hours ago, .Jerry. said:

My daughter (born prem) also had Ferro liquid and pentavite.

I just put them in syringe and put straight into her mouth.  She tolerated it well just like that (at same times as a feed).  I tasted it and it wasn't bad. ;)

How do you wash the syringe after? Do you wash with soap or just rinse it with warm water?

Ourfirstbaby
3 hours ago, Wonderstruck said:

We do pentavite in room temp formula. I make the formula and pour a small amount of milk in a separate bottle and put the pentavite in get her to drink that then give the rest of the milk so she gets it all.

In special care if they warmed her bottles of formula or EBM they then added the pentavite after if that helps.

Can't you just mix pentavite with the full bottle? Or does she not consistently finish the full bottle?

Wonderstruck
3 hours ago, Ourfirstbaby said:

Can't you just mix pentavite with the full bottle? Or does she not consistently finish the full bottle?

They recommended not putting in a full bottle in case she doesn't drink it all. 

I wash the syringe with hot soapy water. In special care they used single use ones but they had no where special to wash everything so it was all single use stuff. 

.Jerry.
6 hours ago, Ourfirstbaby said:

How do you wash the syringe after? Do you wash with soap or just rinse it with warm water?

I just rinsed syringe in hot water. 

Ruf~Feral~es
8 hours ago, Ourfirstbaby said:

Yeah I have EBM from fridge so how do you take it to room temp without warming it? He doesn't like it straight from fridge as its too cold.

I would just take it out of the fridge half an hour or so before the feed.  If desperate, or for frozen EBM, I would heat it a little, but only to room temperature rather than 'warm', so she never got used to having a warm bottle.

I did it for both kids, which might be why they now eat baked beans straight from the can without heating up as well - gross!  And DS only likes peas and corn frozen or cold, not warm too.  So maybe I scarred them for life, but it certainly made things easier in the early days!!!