Minnie80

Blood in nappy

Minnie80
Just now, Paddlepop said:

And yet she keeps coming back to EB, that she knows is based in Australia, and asking for advice. Of course we give advice that is consistent with our own experiences and what is available to us. We can't give information specific to her country unless she tells us what that country is. 

It doesn't matter. I found an alternative here. The advice was ask for a softener and I did. And the doctor prescribed it. My daughter has already taken a dose this morning. 

Paddlepop
Just now, Minnie80 said:

Please read above

No, you read my post. Try it. Then read the whole thread again. 

For a religious person I'm surprised that you used goddamn in one of your posts. 

Minnie80
1 minute ago, Paddlepop said:

No, you read my post. Try it. Then read the whole thread again. 

For a religious person I'm surprised that you used goddamn in one of your posts. 

I'm religious? :)

And I was quoting the person. But I use it all the time generally. No problem :) 

Edited by Minnie80

Paddlepop

You clearly are because you often say God willing in your posts. If you're not then I don't know why you're mentioning God. For example you'll say that next year we're planning to do this, God willing. I've only ever heard that from very religious people. 

Minnie80
3 minutes ago, Paddlepop said:

You clearly are because you often say God willing in your posts. If you're not then I don't know why you're mentioning God. For example you'll say that next year we're planning to do this, God willing. I've only ever heard that from very religious people. 

I do practice, but very liberal. Also the speaking God's name in vain is part of other faiths, it's not really associated with mine. And honestly even if it was, I am pretty liberal. So, I would probably still do it :)

Chic'N'Stu
5 minutes ago, Minnie80 said:

Did you read what I wrote? I don't think you even read the last post even. WE LIVE IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY. These meds are not available here. I did more than go to the chemist. I talked to TWO pediatricians. My daughter was prescribed a local  medicine and she already took a dose this morning. Plus she is seeing a doctor on Saturday.  Please read this TWO PAGE thread before you lash out at someone. 

ps. LOL at shrugging my shoulder. I've never heard that one before. I'm literally an anxious mess. Thank you for making it worse. 

I'm very glad to hear that you've taken those steps and hope that your daughter and yourself have some relief very soon.

Minnie80

Anyway, this thread has been derailed. So, I just want to say thanks for the advice. My daughter is now on a softener, twice  a day and will see a doctor on Saturday GOD WILLING :) 

I took my daughter to several pediatricians since her constipation started when she was six months old. But none of them wanted her on medicine and we were advised to manage with a good diet and to use a suppository if needed. But now that there is blood, I think we need further treatment. And even though I live in a different country and "keep coming here," the advice has really helped me because it made me call the pediatrician and specifically ask for a softener, albeit a different one as the ones mentioned here are not available where we live. 

I still want the doctor to see her on Saturday GOD WILLING,  to make sure it is constipation and nothing else, because I am very  anxious about the cause. 

Thanks and have a good day GOD WILLING :)

ps: I lived in Australia for many years and loved it and love EB but I know that I confuse people sometimes and I'm sorry about that.. But even though it's a different country, most of the time, the advice is helpful. 

• Like 3

Paddlepop

I'd hate to be so reliant on a God being willing. 

Try giving her pears, paw paw and/or kiwifruit. A lot of people find that those fruits help their children. Obviously keep up the stool softener until she's been examined by a doctor. She might need an x-ray to check if she has poo backed up badly (faecal impaction?). Sometimes it can be felt by a pressing on the abdomen but an x-ray is the only reliable way to check for it.  

blimkybill
5 hours ago, Paddlepop said:

I'd hate to be so reliant on a God being willing. 

Try giving her pears, paw paw and/or kiwifruit. A lot of people find that those fruits help their children. Obviously keep up the stool softener until she's been examined by a doctor. She might need an x-ray to check if she has poo backed up badly (faecal impaction?). Sometimes it can be felt by a pressing on the abdomen but an x-ray is the only reliable way to check for it.  

Paddlepop while your knowledge of constipation is spot on I think cultural gaps are showing; "God willing" is an everyday phrase used liberally in conversation in some cultures. It does not imply a high level of religiousness, it's almost a synonym for "hopefully". It's a cultural phrase. 

Minnie I agree these long term mum managers of constipation know what they are talking about.  I agree with them that you will need to use the stool softener for months. Sorry people have been a bit rude through ignorance.  I hope your daughter improves soon. 

• Like 3

amdirel
8 hours ago, Minnie80 said:

I took my daughter to several pediatricians since her constipation started when she was six months old. But none of them wanted her on medicine and we were advised to manage with a good diet and to use a suppository if needed. But now that there is blood, I think we need further treatment. And even though I live in a different country and "keep coming here," the advice has really helped me because it made me call the pediatrician and specifically ask for a softener, albeit a different one as the ones mentioned here are not available where we live. 

Look obviously you should follow your doctor's advice, however I would be wanting a second opinion on the "diet and suppository" advice. Supps should really be the last thing to reach for, as they're so invasive. And the diet is obviously not working. In Australia a softener, especially macrogol, is the most commonly recommended treatment as it is so gentle. In Australia you can get a flavourless macrogol, so you just add it to a drink so it's easy. As a PP said you may need to use it for months, especially if this is a long term issue she first had when she was 6 months old. So IMO, when you see the doc next I would be making it clear that you've tried dietary changes and they haven't helped, and also asking about using a softener regularly rather than needing to give her a supp.