Minnie80

Blood in nappy

Minnie80

Hi

My daughter is 21 months old. She's had severe constipation since she we introduced solid foods at 6 months old. It's terrible poop stuck in the rectum kind of constipation. We've been managing it as much as we can through diet. In the past few months, things have gone much better and she poops every few days or so. However, every now and then we will have a bad day and she gets constipated again.. Today this happened. She was straining, crying and screaming. I was hoping, she would poop and it would pass. After a bit, I decided to check her nappy to see if there is any poop stuck in there and I was shocked to find blood stains. No poop, just stains of blood. I was really scared. After five minute or so, she did a massive poop. There was no blood in the poop itself. 

We are actually traveling right now. This stuff has to happen when we are traveling grrr!!!.  But I called her doctor, and he didn't seem bothered and told me that it is from the constipation and to just try and avoid constipation as much as possible. I'm really stressed though. We've been dealing with constipation for months now. Often much much worse than today and there was never any blood. 

Did anyone experience this? She was straining so hard though. When we get back, I will take her to the clinic.

overlytired

It could be the skin has cracked due to straining and the hard stools and thats where the blood might be coming from.

• Like 1

literally nobody

My Dd was severely constipated always as a toddler, it wasn’t until we eliminated cows milk and gave her a daily dose of Osmolax did it get better. 

blimkybill

Sounds like she has given herself an anal tear. It can happen with hard poo. Problem is it can then become painful (very painful) to poo. You might need to treat the constipation more aggressively so her poo is softer so this doesn't become a chronic problem.  Painful pooing can lead to her holding on and the whole situation gets worse. People often use Osmolax or Movicol with success in children. Can you maybe consult your doctor,  or a different doctor,  when you get home. 

• Like 7

Soontobegran

As PP have said it sounds like she perhaps has a tear or a fissure caused by constant hard poo. The blood itself is less of an issue than the constipation although if it bleeds every time she goes to the toilet she can get anaemic in the long term. 

I think she probably needs a review of treatment when you get back from your travels.

Good luck.

Edited by Soontobegran
  • Like 2

Beanette
1 hour ago, blimkybill said:

People often use Osmolax or Movicol with success in children. Can you maybe consult your doctor,  or a different doctor,  when you get home. 

My DS had children's Movicol daily for about a year when he was 2, we mixed it into yoghurt and he never knew. It's very gentle and works by drawing water into the bowel to soften the poo, rather than stimulate the bowl like a laxative.

Our paed said it was fine to continue using daily for as long as necessary, eventually he just grew out of it. 

PuddingPlease

We had this happen once when my daughter was almost a year old. We were horrified and rushed her to the doctor but he was pretty unconcerned and it never happened again. I completely understand why you are distressed, it looks quite scary to see blood on a nappy, I hope your daughter is feeling better today. 

Minnie80
7 hours ago, Soontobegran said:

As PP have said it sounds like she perhaps has a tear or a fissure caused by constant hard poo. The blood itself is less of an issue than the constipation although if it bleeds every time she goes to the toilet she can get anaemic in the long term. 

I think she probably needs a review of treatment when you get back from your travels.

Good luck.

Yes, I was just telling my husband that. She can't bleed every time she poops. But right now, I'm very worried that there is a more sinister cause for the blood 

literally nobody
Just now, Minnie80 said:

Yes, I was just telling my husband that. She can't bleed every time she poops. But right now, I'm very worried that there is a more sinister cause for the blood 

of course she can! if your poo was as hard as a rock believe me you'd bleed. 

• Like 2

Minnie80
13 minutes ago, literally nobody said:

of course she can! if your poo was as hard as a rock believe me you'd bleed. 

I meant, we can't let this continue to happen because it is painful and not good for her. We need to manage it better. Although, we are already good with her diet. But we have to find another solution. I can't let her bleed like that every time she poops. 

Lou-bags
12 minutes ago, Minnie80 said:

I can totally understand why you'd be concerned Minnie, but the most likely reason is what PPs have said - a tear due to the constipation. 

Was the poo she passed after the bleeding episode a hard one? Or was it runny?

Minnie80
6 hours ago, PuddingPlease said:

We had this happen once when my daughter was almost a year old. We were horrified and rushed her to the doctor but he was pretty unconcerned and it never happened again. I completely understand why you are distressed, it looks quite scary to see blood on a nappy, I hope your daughter is feeling better today. 

It was one of those heart stopping parenting moments. I was checking her nappy in the living room with my mom, husband and son there and literally everyone in the room went silent when we saw the blood. Even my son went quiet. It was so upsetting. 

• Like 1

Minnie80
1 minute ago, Lou-bags said:

I can totally understand why you'd be concerned Minnie, but the most likely reason is what PPs have said - a tear due to the constipation. 

Was the poo she passed after the bleeding episode a hard one? Or was it runny?

It was hard but not too hard. However, it was massive. A pretty big one. 

• Like 1

Lou-bags
3 minutes ago, Minnie80 said:

It was hard but not too hard. However, it was massive. A pretty big one. 

That certainly supports the tearing as a cause then. I was going to suggest it might be a bacterial infection if it was runny. My DSs got campylobacter when they were little and the younger one who was 2 at the time had blood in his poo because of it. It was horrible, profuse watery poo though (SORRY GROSS). You'd know about it if she had that. 

Also, don't forget even a small amount of blood can look like a LOT when it's soaked into something like a nappy. A couple of drops can spread quite far, especially if the nappy was wet with some wee too. 

Hopefully you'll be able to get your mind put at ease by your Dr when you get home, anyway. And I agree with the others that a discussion with the Dr about anything else you can try to manage her constipation would be worth it too.

Also, don't know if you've seen the news about these EB forums shutting down at the end of next month? Many of us (hundreds, actually) have migrated over to a new forum set up by a handful of very amazing EB members. It's everybump.com.au. 

Please come on over and sign up! 

• Like 2

Minnie80
8 minutes ago, Lou-bags said:

That certainly supports the tearing as a cause then. I was going to suggest it might be a bacterial infection if it was runny. My DSs got campylobacter when they were little and the younger one who was 2 at the time had blood in his poo because of it. It was horrible, profuse watery poo though (SORRY GROSS). You'd know about it if she had that. 

Also, don't forget even a small amount of blood can look like a LOT when it's soaked into something like a nappy. A couple of drops can spread quite far, especially if the nappy was wet with some wee too. 

Hopefully you'll be able to get your mind put at ease by your Dr when you get home, anyway. And I agree with the others that a discussion with the Dr about anything else you can try to manage her constipation would be worth it too.

Also, don't know if you've seen the news about these EB forums shutting down at the end of next month? Many of us (hundreds, actually) have migrated over to a new forum set up by a handful of very amazing EB members. It's everybump.com.au. 

Please come on over and sign up! 

Oh no, I had no idea It was shutting down! Why? It's probably the best pregnancy/baby forum online!

Thanks for telling me though. I would have been shocked if I tried to open it one day and found out it was gone!!!

• Like 2

Lou-bags
6 minutes ago, Minnie80 said:

Oh no, I had no idea It was shutting down! Why? It's probably the best pregnancy/baby forum online!

Thanks for telling me though. I would have been shocked if I tried to open it one day and found out it was gone!!!

Money, ultimately. As I understand it, Nine media who now own Essential Baby, have decided that the cost of running EB forums is not worth it. They announced it suddenly giving us just a week but after the shock waves began decided to give us until the end of November. They will be deleting the forums after than and all our posts will disappear. So if you have anything valuable you've written here that you want to save, you have until the end of Nov to save it. 

I really worry about posters who will do as you say, come to log in one day and find EB gone! 

Ozquoll

My son had an anal fissure due to constipation, it was horrendous. Movicol or Osmolax (same stuff actually) was the answer, it is amazing stuff. It's not a laxative, it just gently draws more water into the bowel so the poo softens and is less likely to cause damage on the way out. This is good in the short term (easy, regular poos) and in the long term because when a person has been constipated chronically the bowel distends and it takes time for it to regain its normal shape.

I know we're meant to say "Consult your doctor", but I got poor advice ("just give him a laxative!" 😠) from one diсkhead GP which resulted in my DS getting the anal fissure in the first place, so if I was you I'd go buy some Movicol/Osmolax and start your child on it ASAP.

• Like 2

Paddlepop

I'd also look into some Coloxyl drops to help to soften the poo. 

Try to get your DD to drink more fluids. Water, formula or milk are all good. The more fluid she has the softer the poo might be. 

Constipation is awful. My DD suffered from it when she was little. 

While the possible anal fissure heals you might want to gently rub some cream like Bepanthen, Amolin or lanolin around her anus to help moisturise the skin and to help the poo slide out more easily IYKWIM. 

Try to reduce the BRAT foods: bananas, rice, apple puree and toast. They can contribute to constipation. They're great if the child has diarrhoea but can make constipation worse. 

• Like 1

literally nobody
1 hour ago, Minnie80 said:

I meant, we can't let this continue to happen because it is painful and not good for her. We need to manage it better. Although, we are already good with her diet. But we have to find another solution. I can't let her bleed like that every time she poops. 

Well her diet has something that isn’t agreeing. My Dd was lactose sensitive, could have dairy but not too much. 

• Like 1

MumsyToBigOnes

As you describe it, it’s likely a tear. However, out of left field, you haven’t given her beetroot have you?  I’ve had a few instances over the years where parents have been convinced their toddler is bleeding but funnily it’s due to the beetroot coming out the other end. Never hurts to ask. 

• Like 1

PuddingPlease
16 minutes ago, MumsyToBigOnes said:

As you describe it, it’s likely a tear. However, out of left field, you haven’t given her beetroot have you?  I’ve had a few instances over the years where parents have been convinced their toddler is bleeding but funnily it’s due to the beetroot coming out the other end. Never hurts to ask. 

Ooh that's a good point, I remember hearing that red velvet cake can have similar results.

• Like 1

Minnie80
On 26/10/2020 at 2:54 PM, MumsyToBigOnes said:

No, it was definitely blood.  We've had red tinged poops before because our local cuisine is basically different veggies made in a tomato based stew. The tomatoes would give a red tinge. But no this was blood. And the blood came out five minutes before she finally pooped, so it was very clear. 

Minnie80

Sorry for the gross photo

Screenshot_20201028-083737_WhatsApp.jpg

Soontobegran

You need to take her to a doctor, with the photo or the nappy.

Edited by Soontobegran
  • Like 2

Minnie80
2 minutes ago, Soontobegran said:

You need to take her to a doctor, with the photo or the nappy.

I sent the photo to the doctor already. And I'm taking her there on Saturday.