José

When will hotel quarantine end for returned travellers

José

Ok, just for a bit of fun, obviously no one actually knows the answer.

Im interested in your best guess for a date when travellers returning to Australia from overseas (specifically north America) would not be required to enter hotel quarantine when they return.  

Looking for a specific date , not vague like when there is a vaccine. 

PrincessPeach

March 2025

ETA - I’d say mid next year will see quarantine free travel to the Covid free pacific nations though, like NZ, Fiji, New Caledonia, Vanuatu. Well I’m hoping so anyway!

Edited by PrincessPeach
  • Like 4

gatheringpieces

USA? Never. Even if they move on from the Trump era, it's going to take a long time and a lot of deaths to wind back from Covid19

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

PrincessPeach

I just realised this forum won’t exist that far into the future, so none of us can claim bragging rights!

• Haha 2

Lucrezia Bauble

well, emboldened by the above ^ I’m going to say January 2022 - i reckon they will move to that speed testing of covid. 

• Like 1

No Drama Please

Maybe January 2023?  I think they said looking at travel bubbles to pacific islands and parts of Asia “sometime later next year” so that’s maybe mid 2021 then Europe and North America “much later” so maybe 12-18 months after they see how the other bubbles work out? I remember hearing “two years” but not sure two years from when.

I mean it’s been almost eight months now and we don’t even have a proper travel bubble with NZ which has lowest cases in the world so I’m not holding my breath, I think it will be years not months.

PocketIcikleflakes

I think early 2024 with the US being the last depending on how things track in Central and South America and Africa. Europe possibly before that. 

JRA

sorry I mean not 2022, maybe 2023

Edited by JRA

MissBehaving

Never, it will become standard practice to attempt to prevent any and all new viruses etc. from coming here.

Adopted by all sensible 1st world countries at least.

Edited by MissBehaving
Needed more doom and gloom
  • Like 3

blimkybill

Interesting to think about. Actually it is deeply depressing to think that international travel may be off the cards for some years. It will change us as a country and not for the better. We have already become more xenophobic and long term isolation will only make us worse.  So many families who won't be able to see each other, so so many life dreams unable to be fulfilled. no migrants. No family reunion migration. No refugees coming in. No studying overseas. It's like going back in time to times when there were no planes in some respects.  

Anyway, my bet is maybe December 2021. Because I think there will be a vaccine next year and the frequency of the disease will drop greatly, and there will also be rapid testing. Or perhaps there will be a safe enough system for home quarantine. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

76 others
2 hours ago, PrincessPeach said:

I just realised this forum won’t exist that far into the future, so none of us can claim bragging rights!

I say October 31st 2020 then. 

• Haha 5

gatheringpieces
43 minutes ago, blimkybill said:

No studying overseas. 

I know a minister(? Never get it right) who has been allowed to fly over to the UK for studying purposes. She's a long time friend but it made my blood boil.

Lou-bags

My guess-

Late 2022/23 and many countries will remain on the ‘must quarantine’ list. It’ll be really hard politically for Australia to remain closed/quarantine only to the US for long after opening up more broadly though, IMO.

I think it will be a dynamic thing where countries will be listed as hotspots from time to time and so quarantine requirements will change. It’ll be a nightmare and that much uncertainty will stifle international travel for pleasure for a long long time.

The first vaccines will not provide us the freedom to travel freely, IMO. 

• Like 1

rosie28

Never. I think it will remain in place for those that test positive to COVID or whatever else is around via speed testing done in airports. Automatic quarantine for everyone as a result of the current pandemic I’d say June 2022, but I don’t think it will be 2 weeks for all that time. 

• Like 2

Mrs Zee
1 hour ago, 76 others said:

I say October 31st 2020 then. 

Quick change it to Dec 1st because they've extended the close date to Nov 30! 

IamzFeralz
5 hours ago, rosie28 said:

Never. I think it will remain in place for those that test positive to COVID or whatever else is around via speed testing done in airports. Automatic quarantine for everyone as a result of the current pandemic I’d say June 2022, but I don’t think it will be 2 weeks for all that time. 

Yes together with the use of face masks, intolerance of sick people going to work and school etc.  We are forever changed.  
I have travelled to Asian countries and they were still scanning all airport arrivals for increased temperatures long after SARS had gone away . I think we will be like that.

Perhaps rapid testing at airports will improve and become more accurate so they will cut the quarantine days?

• Like 1

José
7 hours ago, PocketIcikleflakes said:

I think early 2024 with the US being the last depending on how things track in Central and South America and Africa. Europe possibly before that. 

Do you think US and canada would be the same?

BadCat

With the government we have?  February next year.

I really hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Lucrezia Bauble
2 hours ago, IamzFeralz said:

Yes together with the use of face masks, intolerance of sick people going to work and school etc.  We are forever changed.  
I have travelled to Asian countries and they were still scanning all airport arrivals for increased temperatures long after SARS had gone away . I think we will be like that.

Perhaps rapid testing at airports will improve and become more accurate so they will cut the quarantine days?

agree with this. we travelled to Hong Kong around 2 years ago and my younger son had his temperature checked - it was so quick i barely noticed it happening - he was the only one they targeted. he obviously passed as they waved us through. I’d say that will become the norm. Not that we will be travelling back to HK any time soon - for different reasons, sadly.

born.a.girl
7 hours ago, gatheringpieces said:

I know a minister(? Never get it right) who has been allowed to fly over to the UK for studying purposes. She's a long time friend but it made my blood boil.

An article on Traveller suggested that the longer a person was going to be away, the greater the likelihood of their travel being approved, regardless of the reason.

Obviously anyone approving a three week trip for a dying relative knows the person simply won't be able to get back any time soon, so in a way their hands are probably tied.

~Jolly_F~
8 hours ago, gatheringpieces said:

Why does it make your blood boil? People are still flying internationally for work, study, to see family members who are at end of life stages amongst other things. 

They often need to isolate for 10-14 days when they arrive at their destination and again when they arrive home. 

The planes leaving Australia are reasonably full and the same coming back in, the problem returning is you have to fit into the caps and get a ticket in the limited flights.

Edited by ~Jolly_F~
  • Like 2

bubskitkat

I am starting to follow the "we will have to adapt and live with the virus" theory.

That said I am hoping that travel starts to open up mid next year to "bubble" countries and to others later on in the year. I can think that travel will also be dependent on a number of things such as a very quick and accurate testing means. Such as 2 weeks prior to travel you need to be tested and then every couple of days or so. Temperature checks at the airport and additional quick test at the airport as well as evidence that you have not tested positive in the last 14 days or so. Where you can go maybe dependent on the current virus numbers in the location you are visiting and if they have a large flareup of the virus in the location for which you have been you may need to go into quarantine on your arrival home. Once at home I think people will need to be tested for at least 14 days until they get the "all clear".   

• Like 2

PocketIcikleflakes
6 hours ago, José said:

Do you think US and canada would be the same?

I was actually trying to work out of in my head when I posted but my brain was too tired.

I'm really not sure, I think it would depend on what border controls are in place at the time. I believe Canada is having a second wave but they're managing it much better than many places?

I think that's going to be the real sticking point with any borders opening. How to manage the risk of border hopping.

Hands Up

July 2022 for Europe and UK.

February 2023 for The Americas.

seayork2002
1 hour ago, Hands Up said:

July 2022 for Europe and UK.

February 2023 for The Americas.

Thanks! so looks like Cairns it is for 2021!

Edited by seayork2002