Givingitanothergo

Incident at sons high school involving the police

Givingitanothergo

There was what I deem a serious incident at my sons High school last week that has resulted in a police investigation. I found out on Facebook this morning when someone shared an article. I thought as parents we would be notified. I asked my son about it and he said he knew but didn’t tell me as he thought I’d over react.. maybe i am. I guess I’m wondering if something news worthy and involving police involvement is something the parents should know about. Would there be a reason they haven’t told us?

• Like 1

seayork2002

If it was an incident between two year 12s (made up example) then my son being in year 7 would not be involved at all so I dont feel I need to know

Basically if it does not effect my son I dont need to know.

If it was to do with a teacher and it was serious then yes I guess I would, I trust my sons school enough to know if I needed to know I would be told 

• Like 3

Givingitanothergo

Thank you for your response. It was an incident involving a student in my sons year against year seven students.

maybe I am over reacting 

sorry edited to add my son is in year 10

Edited by Givingitanothergo
  • Like 1

literally nobody

depends on the incident for me. and if it had anything to do with my child. 

Givingitanothergo

It involves a student using a mobile phone to film students using the bathrooms

meljbau

Depends on the incident. If some deranged lunatic stormed the corridors then yes, all parents should know. If it's a smaller incident involving just a few kids, then if your child is not involved you don't need to know about it. 

My son was involved in an incident as a Year 8 where he and another boy had been mouthing off to each other on FB and the other boy got his 17 yr old street kid mate to come to the school gates and threaten to knife my son. The police were called and statements taken, involved parents and kids spoken to and visited by police, but there was no way the whole school community needed to know everything about it.

• Like 3

seayork2002

If my son was filmed I would expect the police to tell me

Lady Sybil Vimes

I saw that story in the news and I would expect the school principal to be in contact with parents even if just to say that the school was cooperating with police and that they take students safety seriously.

• Like 8

purplekitty

I'd expect to be notified and an update about mobile phone policies in the school.

The potential for bullying and inappropriate social media use is huge.

• Like 1

Givingitanothergo

Thank you. It just would’ve been nice to know before the daily mail article. If someone’s filming students in a communal bathroom it could involve any one of the student. 
this incident was a male in the male toilets. But it has since come to light that he was caught up skirting at one stage as well 

Edited by Givingitanothergo
  • Like 2

Expelliarmus

The school community should have been informed. There was an incident to which police were called at work this past week. A message was digitally sent to all parents/carers before the end of the school day. 

I would provide feedback to the school that you feel notification to the school community  as soon as possible was warranted. 

• Like 5

PrincessPeach

If it’s hit the media I would expect to be informed prior to that happening. 

Reading your update on the seriousness of the matter, then hells bells I would have expected an email. My kiddo is only in primary school, but as parents we get a mass email after every lockdown.

• Like 2

kadoodle

A similar thing happened where my kids go to school (Yr 9 boy taking photos of yr 7 boys in the change rooms) and we all got a digital message saying an “incident” had happened, police were involved and more information would follow.
Mind you, nothing was said about a massive fight in the schoolyard that required police and an ambulance, and I didn’t know about until an “African gangs in our schools!!1!1” piece wound up in the Hun. Kids were Maori and Skippy, but never mind...

Prancer is coming

Whilst I would like to know about every problem in high school, I do get people’s privacy are involved and the school probably deal with incidents (differing levels of severity) every day.

If there is an incident at our school that involves police being called and visibly present, or there was an evacuation, the school will generally send a vague message out that police attended an incident and it has been dealt with.  Recently a fire was started and as well as sending information out about no-one injured, no major damage, they made it very clear if was being treated as arson.

• Like 2

Givingitanothergo

I’m definitely not the over protective parent and don’t want to know about every little incident..

but I guess if there’s a chance my sons genitals have been filmed it would be nice to know. Or as my son is in the same year and this is a thing that’s happening 

hills mum bec

I have had kids in high school for the past 6 years.  In my experience if the police matter does not involve your kids then you will not be told.  The incidents we have been told about are when they have had to go in to lock down because of a violent student and once they bought in police with sniffer dogs to check for drugs.  There have been other times when my kids have told me there were police at the school because of an incident and we haven’t been informed by the school because it did not have any effect on our kids.

mylittlemen

At my kids school, the few times they have made the press, parents always have an email warning it is coming with the school’s version of events. This is regardless of whether police are involved (luckily only one event) or not (my kid’s school makes the press a lot as they are considered one of “those” private schools and by that I mean a target of the press)

GlitteryElfFarts

Our high school had a rather big incident quite a few years back(about 9 I think). Police, news and numerous parents involved. DD#2’s home room were told not to talk to police or the media until an adult was present or they were told it was okay. DD and her friend just went “OOPS, bit late for that miss.”

They were both on the news that night getting interviewed as they got to the gate. 

Then a couple of years ago there was a smaller incident that the police ended up attending. Two different nationality groups were fighting and a few boys were being chased and ended up in the room DD#3 was in. They were locked in and DD was just chill and chatting. She was always neutral in everything. All the kids knew it and she was never hassled about it. Same nationality was involved in both incidents. But the other two were different.

With DD16, there have been two incidents in her year where police have attended. 1 was where a boy bought a knife to school and the other was where one girl threatened to stab another.

Mrs Zee

That must have been really awful finding out like that OP. I'd have expected communication of some sort from school regarding that type of incident and a reminder of the rules and consequences. I hope you and your DS are ok. 

• Like 1

DirtyStreetPie

You should have been informed, OP. I hate this kind of opacity.

As an aside, it would be good if teachers were told about incidents too! We look ridiculous when our students are the ones who inform us of things, while the school admin actively strives to keep staff in the dark. 

• Like 8

Lou-bags

I’d have expected to be informed by the school for sure! I’d be really upset, OP.

We had an incident at childcare of a similar nature, though the offender was an adult, and while the childcare couldn’t tell us what happened at the time for legal reasons (as per their advice from police, the incident was more serious than photos), they did let us know that something ‘of a child protection nature’ had occurred AND ran a protective behaviours education class for the parents a week later.  And also organized a helpline parents could phone for advice and support. 

I know childcare is different to school but damn I’d be expecting some kind of school community response. Those are serious allegations and there are, it seems, multiple victims known about and there could be more. Not to mention how triggering an incident of this nature might be to other students and their families. Personally, I think I’d be asking for a ‘please explain’.

I wonder if they are not at present fully understanding how bad what has happened is? 

• Like 4

YodaTheWrinkledOne

I think it depends on what happened, who was involved and how wide-spread the ramifications are expected to be. If the school knows/anticipates that it will be reported by local media (tv/radio/paper), then a heads-up notice for the entire school community would be good, even if details were limited.

• Like 3

PurpleWitch

Our school would email all the parents before it hit the media.
I wouldn't need to know ALL the details but I'd want to know before the media did.

• Like 2

~Bob~

Something happened at our school earlier this year. It hit the media, so a school announcement went out. I think if it involved your child, or maybe their grade, or if it hits the media, then parents should be told. Not the whole run down, of course, but a brief overview. 

seayork2002

Something did happen at my sons primary school that made the media, I think it was front page of most newspapers years ago there was lots and lots of the 'the principal is quoted as saying' etc. except the principal did not speak to the media nor did anyone at the school (knowingly) except a while after some people involved did do an article but the media kept on reporting things, so the principal should not have to have told us what they had no involvement in themselves 

The principal did actually keep us informed because they had no choice but the media should have kept out of it and I lost all respect for them that day on

Edited by seayork2002