crankybee

EB's forums wouldn't be closing if this was designed for and used by men...

crankybee

EB's forums wouldn't be closing if this was designed for and used by men... Thoughts? 

Women's experiences, support systems and engagement is of no value to the men who control companies like the one that rules EB.

• Like 26
  • Sad 1

Just Another Cat

I think it doesn’t help that this forum is a gathering place for those that may be considered left wing. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

~Jolly_F~

Ding, ding, ding.... We have a winner. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Lucrezia Bauble

i think you may be right. Although did someone mention on another thread that fairfax/nine are shutting down another one of its forums (fora?) - i can’t remember the detail exactly but it sounded like it may have been directed more to men’s interests, or mixed, men and women. I mean, parenting should be too come to think of it.

• Like 2

nori_roll

Didn’t someone mention the nine drive.com forums are still open? I would imagine they’re predominantly populated by men. 

• Like 5

nori_roll

Snap @Lucrezia Bauble

eta not snap we were saying opposite things. I’ll have to see whether it’s true.

Edited by nori_roll

Lucrezia Bauble
Just now, nori_roll said:

yes that’s it - so they are staying open, or closing? if they get to stay open and we’re shut then yeh, there’s a definite bias there.

Jane Jetson

Eh, I think it's more that we're the wrong type of women honestly.

If we were the right type of women, we'd shut up, make them a sandwich, and head on over to Nine Honey to soak up some Royals, recipes and shit ripped from Reddit - the three Rs of banality! - but sadly we think we're people and aren't shy about expressing it.

It takes a little bit of effort to convince advertisers, who are just as misogynist as media companies, that it's possible to market to left-wing women - they've just got to expand their horizons beyond Revlon and Thermomix. Or convince Revlon and Thermomix that left-wing feminists might still buy their stuff. Much easier and cheaper to just shut it all down and churn out more shit about the Kardashians to send into the void.

Edited by Jane Jetson
Edited to add that I don't mind a recipe, just not when it's in the context of, "Hmm, what do women like. I know! Cooking!" So yeah.
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Ernegirl

We're not consuming and we're the wrong product.

• Like 11

purplekitty

Just spitballing but there are many internet spaces occupied by men, they tend to occupy any rooms they enter which interest them.

EB is 'womens' interest' territory.

Men aren't terrified about having to personally go through labour, trying to treat cracked nipples or choose a formula.

They tend not to internalise many of the things women do and seek advice and support.

I have no doubt this is a business decision but it was made really easy by the fact it is a female website primarily and Left politically on the spectrum.

I just think it was typical corporate tone deafness, they don't deserve their tax breaks.

Edited by purplekitty
efs
  • Like 18

Ellie bean

Yes but is anyone honestly surprised by the closure though? I’m sad but not surprised. We all trash the articles, leave in droves, we tend to discourage new members with in jokes etc... from a business point of view it’s just the wrong spot for us.

• Like 19

seayork2002

I just figured it is closing because hardly anyone is here these days, till the mention it closing now it is busy again

• Like 5

purplekitty

I'm not surprised but then I think the world is going to hell in a hand basket.

The pursuit of profit ignoring all else.

• Like 9

kadoodle

@crankybee, where have you been hiding? Good to see you again.

You’re dead right. 

• Like 1

crankybee
14 minutes ago, kadoodle said:

@crankybee, where have you been hiding? Good to see you again.

You’re dead right. 

I've been here, just commenting on random sh!t occasionally. 

• Like 1

Expelliarmus

When I told DH his immediate response, completely unprompted, was ‘a man made that decision’.  

I doubt he’s wrong. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Ozquoll

Women's forum

Left-leaning

Dwindling membership/engagement

A little bit of all the above.

Edited by Ozquoll
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

maryanneK

Well from a personal perspective DH is somewhere between completely baffled and slightly appalled that I'm invested in an online community pouring out our innermost secrets about everything from cracked nipples and pelvic floors to career crises and infuriating relatives.  He genuinely has no concept of the value that offers us. He might occasionally post a comment on a footy article on a news site but would rather die than talk about anything personal online. So if he was in charge of EB he'd probably shut down the forum with a shrug and a "who cares" attitude.....not out of any malice or hidden agenda, but just because it wasn't making money and he wouldn't have the slightest idea of how upsetting it would be. So in that sense, the decision could easily be much more likely "made by a man". 

Apart from that I agree with every other post !

• Like 17

Silver Girl

My DH is similar, maryanneK. He doesn’t get social media at all, or understand the value of this forum. He’s a bit “oh well” about the announcement.

• Like 1

Expelliarmus

My DH also doesn’t really use social media etc much like the OP’s DHs. He did however express that it was clearly an important place for all the women who connected there and formed relationships and got parenting help. 

He struggles to ‘get’ a lot of things but he seems to ‘get’ this. 

• Like 7

Starrydawn

I definitely think it's because we are the wrong type of woman. Considering the articles they post!! They want us squeeing over rubbish!

• Like 8

magic_marker

I was hoping it's because we're getting a Royal Commission into how much power over politics RM has and they have to hide the evidence.

• Like 5

Lady Sybil Vimes
3 hours ago, Jane Jetson said:

It takes a little bit of effort to convince advertisers, who are just as misogynist as media companies, that it's possible to market to left-wing women - they've just got to expand their horizons beyond Revlon and Thermomix. Or convince Revlon and Thermomix that left-wing feminists might still buy their stuff. Much easier and cheaper to just shut it all down and churn out more shit about the Kardashians to send into the void.

I think this is right. If EB was more similar to all those "Mums Who" Facebook pages - Mums Who Clean, Mums Who Organise, Mums Who Cook - then it would attract more advertisers to sell to us and we'd stay open. Instead we're just Mums Who Peta Credlin Loathes.

• Like 12
  • Haha 20

cinnabubble
3 minutes ago, Lady Sybil Vimes said:

I think this is right. If EB was more similar to all those "Mums Who" Facebook pages - Mums Who Clean, Mums Who Organise, Mums Who Cook - then it would attract more advertisers to sell to us and we'd stay open. Instead we're just Mums Who Peta Credlin Loathes.

Ie, the right side of history. 

• Like 16

purplekitty

I'm still basking in the glow that knowing Peta Credlin hates us gave me.

Edited by purplekitty
  • Like 22
  • Haha 1