DQMission

SO in all seriousness...

DQMission

Has anyone worked out an easy way to save their content yet? Mine covers stuff that I cant relive right now. I cant risk going down that rabbit hole and what it might do to my mental health, but there are improtant things in there like dated etc of when my mum was on life support and other stuff I cant bear to lose forever. I just cant sift through it though as I am at a point in my therapy where PTSD triggers could send me right off course. @Sandra Any developments?

• Like 3

Sandra

Am waiting to hear..most will not work weekends, so may have to wait till Monday, my apologies. Will let everyone know as soon as I hear back 😊

• Like 5

Sancti-claws

I think it would take just a tweak of the filters - I have found a way to get all the posts I have started and the comments, but it only has the first two lines and you would need to click the "more" (a fair few times) to get the whole history.  And still there would be copying and pasting.  There should be a way to convert that into a file to export though.  It is whether it is an option that those who have the power would unlock, though.

image.thumb.png.2f8e4a518128643ca543d015cb7e601f.png

• Like 2

ABabyPlease

Surely the content of this forum could be left open to view, even if we can no longer post?

I'm not an IT expert but if it’s here already, couldn’t it just stay locked down? Even for a few years?

Kiwi Bicycle
17 minutes ago, ABabyPlease said:

Surely the content of this forum could be left open to view, even if we can no longer post?

I'm not an IT expert but if it’s here already, couldn’t it just stay locked down? Even for a few years?

Unfortunately someone needs to pay hosting costs, storage costs, url costs and software licenses. They obviously don't want to pay a single cent more.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

TheGreenSheep
27 minutes ago, ABabyPlease said:

8 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Unfortunately someone needs to pay hosting costs, storage costs, url costs and software licenses. They obviously don't want to pay a single cent more.

Also I’m not comfortable in everyone in the wide world being able to just view or voyeur so much personal info and shares well after the close. So for me I’m ok with it closing and being locked down.

• Like 6

Pooks_

If they close the forum without deleting the posts I’ll have to go back and delete a bunch of stuff manually. I might be ok with it being there now but I’m not sure what the future will bring. I hope there’s clarity on this soon. 

• Like 1

born.a.girl
6 hours ago, TheGreenSheep said:

Also I’m not comfortable in everyone in the wide world being able to just view or voyeur so much personal info and shares well after the close. So for me I’m ok with it closing and being locked down.

For sure.  I'm comfortable with the other members of EB seeing my photo for the time being.  Happy for it to be there ongoing provided I can delete it.  Would not be happy for it to be there accessible to the world, but me unable to delete it.  As @Pooks_ says, who knows what the future holds?

• Like 3

~Jolly_F~
6 hours ago, TheGreenSheep said:

Same... if it isn’t being ditched, I plan to ask for my account and everything to be disappeared! 

• Like 2

Chamomile

I would really like to know what will happen to all the content when the forum closes. 

• Like 2

PrincessPeach

So on the assumption that this is being locked & not deleted, If I go back & start editing stuff will it then show up in the latest content box?

null

Surely they will no longer host the content? But perhaps we could pull the post count, reputation, and eb join date over to the new forum? Also people do know the wayback machine (web.archive.org) does snapshot EB from time to time though not everything is there.

Chamomile
8 minutes ago, PrincessPeach said:

So on the assumption that this is being locked & not deleted, If I go back & start editing stuff will it then show up in the latest content box?

I have been going back and deleting my posts. Admittedly my content count is very low, but It’s fairly easy to do. 

laridae

I wrote a powershell script to extract out my posts. I can share it. However, if lots of people run it it might make the server a lot busier. 

It basically does what a human would to, so goes to my content page, extract out all the links to specific posts, then go to the link and save the post (actually saves the whole page as it's easier to do so). Just the text, no pics. Slowed down so it probably not much quicker than a human doing it, but a lot less tedious! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

CallMeFeral
1 minute ago, laridae said:

I wrote a powershell script to extract out my posts. I can share it. However, if lots of people run it it might make the server a lot busier. 

It basically does what a human would to, so goes to my content page, extract out all the links to specific posts, then go to the link and save the post (actually saves the whole page as it's easier to do so). Just the text, no pics. Slowed down so it probably not much quicker than a human doing it, but a lot less tedious! 

Wow yes please! Can a pleb run it or would I need to be tech literate?

DQMission
3 minutes ago, laridae said:

I would definitely appreciate that but only if it is no bother and reasonably intuitive to use. 

• Like 1

Datrys
1 minute ago, DQMission said:

I would definitely appreciate that but only if it is no bother and reasonably intuitive to use. 

Same.  

laridae

Well, you can give it a go.  Its not that hard to use, but you do need a Windows PC (not a Mac) as its powershell.  So, what you do is you open Windows Powershell ISE, and paste this (everything from the # to the end) into the top box (its white on mine, not the blue one).

It uses internet explorer to extract the data, so you do need to open that first and log into EB (make sure you tick the box to save your login details)

There are a few settings to change at the top.  The path to save the files to, your userid, and what page number to extract (I suggest just trying it with 1 page to make sure it works first). The click the run button.

Powershell may complain about running it though - there is a setting you need to switch on when you first use it to allow you to run unsigned scripts or something but i can't remember what it is.  Just google the error and you should be able to find out how if it doesn't say.

I did find that a few pages didn't extract properly - but if you have a look through the log (in the blue pane at the bottom) for errors and re-try those pages.  So if page 255 fails you can just set maxpages = 255 and startpage to 255 and it will just do that page.  Don't post anything while you are running it though or it will end up on a different page and miss stuff.

Also, keep in mind, you  guy have a lot more posts than me - and it took nearly a whole day to extract out mine.  So it could take a while

# note - PC only and you must first open Internet Explorer and log in and save your credentials for EB.  edit the following values
# path to save files to
$savepath = "D:\EBExtractor\"
# userid - this can be found on if you click on your profile and is the format usernumber-username
$user = "179960-zzzzzz"
# number of pages of history (25 posts per page) - check your profile for how many pages,
$maxpages = 1
# page to start at (in case you need to start again)
$startpage = 1

$count=$startpage
$link = [System.Collections.ArrayList]@()
$ie = new-object  -com "InternetExplorer.Application"
while ($count -le $maxpages)
{
    "page " + $count

$ie.navigate("https://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/profile/" + $user + "/content/?all_activity=1&page=" + $count)
    $ie.visible=$true
    $link.Clear()
    while($ie.Busy) { Start-Sleep -Milliseconds 100 }
    try {
        $rand = Get-Random -minimum 1000 -maximum 2000
        Start-Sleep -Milliseconds $rand
        $doc = $ie.Document
        $doc.Links | Where-Object {$_.href -like "*findComment*" -and $_.className -ne "ipsType_blendLinks"}| ForEach-Object {$link.Add($_.href)}
        $count=$count+1
    }
    catch {
        "Something strange occurred: $_"
        try {$ie.Quit() } catch{}
    }

$link | ForEach-Object {
        $path = $savepath + $_.replace("https://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/topic/","").replace("/?do=findComment&comment=","-") + ".txt"

$path
        $ie.navigate($_)
        while($ie.Busy) { Start-Sleep -Milliseconds 100 }
        $rand = Get-Random -minimum 1000 -maximum 2000
        Start-Sleep -Milliseconds $rand
        try {
            $ie.Document.activeElement.outertext | Out-File -FilePath $path -Append
        }
        catch {
            "Something strange occurred: $_"
            try {$ie.Quit() } catch{}
        }
     }
}

$ie.Quit() 

Edited by laridae
  • Like 2

Datrys

Thanks, Laridae.  I'll get my IT person DH to give me a hand with giving it a go.  :)