FeralZombieMum

What EB members taught me

FeralZombieMum

I have learnt so much, thanks to the wonderful knowledge base of the EB members.

What I have learnt:

• Car seat safety was so behind in Australia. I kept my kids rear facing for longer, and had them in quality boosters before the laws changed.
  • Never to leave my car unlocked in the driveway, because it can become an oven for any child that climbed in.
  • How to advocate for my children.
  • There are many other kids in Australia that had similar struggles to my DD, and it wasn't due to our bad parenting.
  • Victim blaming needs to stop.
  • Everyday sexism exists and I was blind to it.
  • The difference in how media portrays men and women, especially in the way questions are asked of sportswomen, and to the words used to describe victims and perpetrators of domestic violence.
  • How instilled the patriarchy is in our society.
  • Feminism didn't give us the choice to work or SAH.
  • I was not responsible for maintaining my DH's relationships and gift purchases. He is a grown adult and his arms and legs aren't painted on. (thank you for the EB'er who said that)
  • My eyes were opened to politics.
  • EB threads were my news and current affairs portal.
  • Complete strangers will come together for support when someone is in need.
  • Like 31

Sancti-claws

How to temper my judgement because there are a lot of other boats being rowed out there.

• Like 9

hmmph

The pressures some families are under. As a kinder teacher, it really has helped me be more patient and understanding.

• Like 6

Datrys

There is no way I could possibly make a comprehensive list.  So so so much, about so many diverse things.

• Like 7

GingerbreadWoman

I have learnt many things from the EB community but probably the most important was that I wasn’t alone I struggling with aspects of parenting and that it is okay to ask for help. 

Edited by GingerbreadWoman
Typo
  • Like 4

Charli73

That’s it’s ok to reach out and ask for help or ask if questions if you’re in doubt and EB has been a safe place to ask for help without judgement.. 

Edited by Charli73
  • Like 4

Twinmum+2

That the world contains so much more than my sheltered view of my own corner.  Thank you xx

• Like 8

Pilar Palabundar
5 hours ago, FeralZombieMum said:

• EB threads were my news and current affairs portal.

Yep.  EB is my first tab open when I have time to browse.  It will be weird.

• Like 2

PrincessPeach

To keep pushing for answers when your gut tells you something isn’t right.

Also I’m gaining an understanding of the US voting system - I’m glad that I can still get my questions answered.

• Like 2

Squeekums The Elf
8 hours ago, Datrys said:

There is no way I could possibly make a comprehensive list.  So so so much, about so many diverse things.

exactly this

i couldnt make a list, there so much learned and so much i dont even know ive picked up, like i will one day go oh on eb..... or i saw on eb, it will click in my life

• Like 3

yellowtulips74

I learned a lot about DV, victim blaming, the cycle of abuse, gaslighting, etc.

I often think about threads where members were wanting to leave abusive relationships, and how incredibly supportive and helpful everyone was.

I do believe this forum has saved many lives in many different ways.

• Like 15

Ghost Girl

That you don't need to be lifelong friends to make a difference for some one.

One night a few years back I was at my lowest, all alone and feeling in a very dark unsafe place. I reached out on EB and a lovely person, stayed with me online, chatting in the middle of the night. It gave me a safe space just to be for a few moments, sunshine to the dark. I'm thankful to that person everyday. They won't remember me, it was just chitchat. But I'm thankful for them, and a safe spot to just be.

• Like 20

Evra

Ghost Girl, I remember reading that thread after the fact. I’m glad someone was there for you, and it showed me that it’s okay to ask for help when you need it, so thank you ☺️ 

• Like 4

BadCat

So many things about feminism. politics, how other people live... but perhaps the single most valuable thing I've learned here is that maybe I'm actually a reasonably likeable person.  I wish my family had taught me that. :(

• Like 13
  • Sad 2

MadMarchMasterchef

Ive learned a lot about 'typical' kid behaviour,  what my kids do that is 'typical' and what isnt.  Its helped me with things like picking up low muscle tone and dyslexia. 

• Like 5

Evra

This community has broadened my perspective in so many ways I can’t even explain. But two things I can list, so I will:

1. My sister is wrong. I’m actually not that much of a clean freak, at all. 
2. The effing fours are a thing. People know this, yet no one irl warned me. 

• Like 6

Chelli
8 hours ago, yellowtulips74 said:

I learned a lot about DV, victim blaming, the cycle of abuse, gaslighting, etc.

I often think about threads where members were wanting to leave abusive relationships, and how incredibly supportive and helpful everyone was.

I do believe this forum has saved many lives in many different ways.

Same here and now I work in the field after being inspired by EB members. 

• Like 10

Jenflea

I've learned a LOT about typical and non typical kids behaviour. 

I've learnt about breastfeeding, tongue ties, car safety and so much more. 

I've also learnt that my opinion IS valid, and people do listen to me because I do have things worth saying. 

My family and the old group of 'friends' never gave me that impression. I have better friends now and never see my family!

• Like 4

AdelTwins

I had a pregnancy complication that was extremely rare (1 in 35,000). I found 2 members who had had the same complication and had gone on to deliver a healthy baby.

Unfortunately, my story did not have a happy ending, but talking to the other members gave me hope to try to save my child.

• Like 4