OceanTwentyFour

DD9 Low Iron

OceanTwentyFour

Hello

DD9 has low iron and the doctor said she needs a supplement to get her levels up quickly. She can’t swallow tablets so I bought a liquid version and she can’t stand the taste of it. She’s a very fussy eater but I am going to try iron fortified bread and cereal. The only vegetable she will eat is peas (very reluctantly) and she will eat a banana a day if I remind her. She only drinks water but I thought a glass of milo a day might help as well. Any other ideas/suggestions?  She would live off cheese and chicken nuggets if I let her 🙁

Thanks

Jenflea

Spinach? Raw or cooked. DD prefers hers raw. 

BusbyWilkes

Have you tried Maltofor? Comes as tablets and liquid. The most easily tolerable iron supplement tried here.

My friend is a dietician and after I had significant iron issues after giving birth, she arrived with home made pate and a giant tub of Milo. Obviously it is more beneficial to have a more balanced diet but, for the sake of ease, a big glass of Milo each day is a good start. 

• Like 2

Ghost Girl

We are in same boat with my DD9, fussy eater and low iron. I'm shovelling in the baked beans were I can and have started on the Maltofer in liquid. She is happy to have that every 2-3 day, says it tastes fine.

NastyGal

My DD was 9 or 10 when she was diagnosed with single digit iron levels. She's also a pretty fussy eater and won't tolerate tablets, but she happily knocked back Maltofer liquid, so I'd recommend giving that a go. I tried to get her to eat something high in Vit C at the same time for max absorption (calcium blocks iron absorption).

I also bought a Lucky Fish, a little iron fish that you put in the food while you're cooking, I use it in bolognaises and soups etc. It leaches iron into the food without impacting the flavour. Was about $40 and last for about 5 years. 

Fluffy Potatoes

Maltofer was ineffective for my 2yr old. We had a lot of success with Ferro-liquid. He was 11kgs and took 2ml, you will need to get your dr/pharmacist to work out the correct ratio as the bottle says not for kids under 12 etc. 

We also made sure it was given at least half an hr before any dairy was consumed. 

feralisles

Might be worth trying incremen.  It's an iron supplement made for kids who are fussy eaters, you can get it in the chemist.  My kids really liked it.

DQMission

Another for Maltofer. I had a kid with severely low iron for the better part of ten years and this was a god send when it came out.

OceanTwentyFour

Thanks for suggestions. @Fluffy PotatoesI bought the Ferro liquid but she can’t stand the taste. Will give Maltofer a go. 

Edited by OceanTwentyFour

Fluffy Potatoes

That’s a shame! It is a bit strong, but does do an excellent job. I assume you’ve tried mixing it with juice etc. The Maltofer is a nice cream flavour so she should like that. 

We found that ds’s free flowing iron did increase with the Maltofer in a 3mth period but his ferritin dropped from 11 to 9. Three months on the Ferro-liquid it scraped into ‘normal’ range at 21. 

OceanTwentyFour

@caitiri she doesn’t like juice, only drinks water, one of the positives of her limited diet 😬

Edited by OceanTwentyFour

Threetwoone

My daughter is supposed to take maltofer, she hates the taste but can't take big tablets. She's 15 though so not a child. 

Paddlepop

OceanTwentyFour: My fussy eater with low iron will happily take her iron liquid in Ribena cordial. She loves orange flavoured medicine but hates orange juice. For some reason Ribena is acceptable to her. Bonus is that it's fortified with vitamin C for helping iron absorption. Try to give the iron supplement at the same meal as when she's eaten some meat. Doesn't matter if it's red meat, white meat, fish or whatever. The haem iron (iron from blood ie meat) helps non-haem (the supplement) iron be absorbed by the body better. Definitely don't give it when she's had dairy. Dairy blocks iron absorption. 

I too have a DD with low iron. She's been on supplements for years. She used to take Ferroliquid but now takes Maltofer liquid. Easier on her bowels. 

There's Iron Melts that are fizzy iron tablets that dissolve in your mouth. I think they're raspberry flavoured. They're kind of fun. Only 5mg iron but it all helps. 

https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/42951/iron-melts-50-chewable-tablets

There's also SpaTone water. I personally think it tastes like water from an old rusty pipe and have take it like a shot followed by water. Looks like they've just brought out a flavoured version finally. Again, not much iron per sachet of water but it might help a little:

https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/99935/martin-pleasance-spatone-iron-supplement-28-sachets-apple-flavour

Will she eat mince? You could add all sorts of grated vegetables in that, and things like red kidney beans to boost the iron. Make a taco-flavoured mince and have things like tomato, lettuce, etc to go with it. 

Depending on my DD's most recent blood test, her paediatrician is considering having DD sedated at a children's hospital and doing an iron infusion. She's 10yo so not likely to be able to cope with an infusion if she was awake but we're struggling badly with increasing her iron. She's starting to hit a growth spurt and will be needing her iron for extra growing. DH and I have both had iron infusions and boy they're an easy way to increase iron compared to months and months and months of supplements and constipation.

SeaPrincess

DS2 is taking Maltofer, and we are eating more red meat than ever before. We’re coming up to his 3 months follow-up testing.

sydmumof2

For our kids, I use the Lucky Iron Fish for their water (when I remember to boil the water and cool it down) or a Flinstones multivitamin (from iHerb).

Like PP, we try to avoid giving dairy at same time and give with vitamin C.

Edited by sydmumof2
For clarity