HRH Countrymel

Last chance Countrymel recipe request thread.

HRH Countrymel

I don't come in here anymore and can't work out how to navigate the new look forums.

But it has be been brought to my attention that some of you oldies have been lamenting the future loss of my gluttonous wisdom and food obsessed former cooking posts.

(I will also add that one of my favourite EB memories was when I talked someone - sorry, can't remember who, it was literally years and years ago) - step by step through how to cook a roast dinner for the very first time ever and they sent me a beautiful PM telling me how great it turned out and how chuffed her family were.  It made me so happy!)

So here it is - the last chance corral!  

Ask me anything!  I'm here!

• Like 36

Riotproof

Hello! We missed you! 

• Like 8

Chchgirl
2 hours ago, HRH Countrymel said:

I don't come in here anymore and can't work out how to navigate the new look forums.

But it has be been brought to my attention that some of you oldies have been lamenting the future loss of my gluttonous wisdom and food obsessed former cooking posts.

(I will also add that one of my favourite EB memories was when I talked someone - sorry, can't remember who, it was literally years and years ago) - step by step through how to cook a roast dinner for the very first time ever and they sent me a beautiful PM telling me how great it turned out and how chuffed her family were.  It made me so happy!)

I'm not as I'm a crap cook but lovely to see you 😊

Mrs Zee

@livvie7586 here you go you can go straight to the source now 💜

• Like 1

abby66

Countrymel please could you post your rhubarb champagne recipe? (I don’t usually post but I’ve been a lurker for a long time)
Thanks!

Hands Up

Nice to “see” you Countrymel:-)

• Like 3

22Fruitmincepies

The ants recipe please! 

Soontobegran
14 minutes ago, 22Fruitmincepies said:

The ants recipe please! 

Well that is one I could do without or am I missing something ? :)

• Haha 3

Mrs Zee
3 minutes ago, Soontobegran said:

No ants are harmed in the process. 

• Haha 1

22Fruitmincepies
8 minutes ago, Soontobegran said:

Ants on a stick? Ants on a log? No ants are actually involved. 

• Like 1

Mrs Zee
1 minute ago, 22Fruitmincepies said:

Ants on a stick? Ants on a log? No ants are actually involved. 

Aren't they on a tree in this case?

Sugarplum Poobah
5 hours ago, HRH Countrymel said:

Please come over to everybump.com.au -- it looks a lot like it did here before the upgrade 😉 We miss you!

• Like 6

HRH Countrymel
2 hours ago, abby66 said:

Countrymel please could you post your rhubarb champagne recipe? (I don’t usually post but I’ve been a lurker for a long time)
Thanks!

Rhubarb Champagne 

Now this is pretty flexible (as is every recipe I make) so just use it as a guide.

Ikg rhubarb - finely sliced

800g sugar (usually white but I've used a mix of raw, vanilla caster et.al. before)

3 big lemons (zested in big strips + juice)

ginger sliced (about a 3 x 4cm knob)

2/3 cup cider vinegar

8 litres of water

method:

Get a big VERY CLEAN bucket

Dump all ingedients in big bucket, stir till sugar is dissolved, cover with a teatowel and leave for 3 days.

Give it a stir every day, you'll see when it is starting to ferment as little bubbles will appear as you stir.

Strain 

Bottle in VERY CLEAN bottles (experience has taught me that the ideal bottle for this are the Grolsch swing top lid ones, but people who aren't me do use recycled PET fizzy drink ones)

Leave in a dark place for at least 2 weeks.

Open carefully!

• Like 4

HRH Countrymel
2 hours ago, 22Fruitmincepies said:

The ants recipe please! 

This is ever so similar to the one we use.

But no celery, because - blerch - celery!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/sichuan-noodles-ants-climbing-trees-20111018-29wzs&ved=2ahUKEwjxtZSgu8zsAhX8lEsFHVpZBZkQFjAEegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1HO5iUy3uYOCQTSsui2vMr

• Like 2

HRH Countrymel

Oh and with the rhubarb champagne- save the fruit when you've strained out your pretty pink champagne.

It's lost it's colour but is perfect for using in a crumble or a slice.

abby66
1 hour ago, HRH Countrymel said:

Oh and with the rhubarb champagne- save the fruit when you've strained out your pretty pink champagne.

It's lost it's colour but is perfect for using in a crumble or a slice.

Thank you!

*Marty*

is the rhubarb champagne alcoholic?  What does it taste like?  I have A LOT of rhubarb at the moment!

Lorem ipsum

Was there talk of an amazing icecream recipe?

Uninspired

So, EB is closing down it’s time to fess up. Years before I’ve posted anything, whilst I silently lurked these forums through years of infertility I’ve developed my first (and only) EB crush - on no one less than your royalty.
This was a fair bit ago so I can’t recall any particular recipe but considering this is my last chance. Please indulge this random internet person  with your best bread recipe.  I’m not fussy, any bread: a crusty roll, a rustic or sandwich loaf; sweet, savoury; sourdough, dry yeast; anything you feel like sharing.

• Like 1

HRH Countrymel
3 hours ago, *Marty* said:

is the rhubarb champagne alcoholic?  What does it taste like?  I have A LOT of rhubarb at the moment!

It is sweet, and a bit dry.

It gets more alcoholic as it gets older.  At the first few weeks I'd be happy to serve a glass or two to a kid or a driver.

After a few months?  Well lets just say my 13yo nephew -who was knocking them back on Christmas Day with great aplomb unobserved by the 4 supposed adults - got somewhat tiddly! 

(my big sister was not impressed!)

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

*bucket*
16 hours ago, lorem ipsum said:

Was there talk of an amazing icecream recipe?

This, please.

tothebeach

Thanks for the drop in @HRH Countrymel.   Please come over to Everybump.com.au and post the recipes there instead.   That way they won’t get lost when EB closes.  

• Like 5

Sugarplum Poobah

Can I do the first stage of the rhubarb champagne in a stainless steel container? (DP is good at using buckets for things that render them permanently less than very clean -- but I have a large stockpot)

HRH Countrymel
On 25/10/2020 at 2:22 PM, Sugarplum Poobah said:

Can I do the first stage of the rhubarb champagne in a stainless steel container? (DP is good at using buckets for things that render them permanently less than very clean -- but I have a large stockpot)

Can't see why not?

Just make sure you only cover it with a teatowel though not the lid as it needs to harvest the natural yeasts from the air (in addition to any on the washed stalks)

• Like 1