Megg*

Alice or Ellie?

Megg*

Deciding on names for 2nd daughter. First daughters name is Rose, nn Rosie. My DH and I love Alice but I’m not sure about nn Allie. However we both like Ellie which is similar to Allie.:. Not sure if Ellie can be stand alone name? What are your thought? 

Pooks_

Love Alice, I don’t think a nn is necessary for Alice, although I think Ally is fine. We call our kids Magoo and Bug, nns don’t have to be derived from the given name :) 

ETA Google tells me that Lissa is a nn fo Alice, I like that. 

Edited by Pooks_
  • Like 1

kerilyntaryn

Alice is lovely,  goes well with Rose.  I wouldn't worry about the nickname, most aren't even related to the name 

~Jolly_F~

I don’t think anyone will use the nn Allie for Alice. 

I also know an Ellie, that’s her stand alone name.

I prefer Ellie, just because Alice makes me think of the song living next door Alice, which isn’t a bad thing just not for me! 

zeldazonk

None of the Alices I know are called Allie. They are all known as Alice. I think it's a beautiful name and much prefer it to Ellie. Ellie seems like a nickname to me. 

Edited by zeldazonk
  • Like 1

Gudrun

Alice.   Lovely with Rose and lovely!   I would expect Alice to just be Alice.  Ellie can of course be stand-alone.

bubskitkat

Elise as it is a combination of both. Nickname could be Elle or Ellie.

Edited by bubskitkat
  • Like 2

rosie28

Alice is lovely, and those I know aren’t shortened, except one who is occasionally Al. It’s miles ahead of Ellie, which I don’t like as a nickname, and I don’t like nicknames as full names so it’s out in that basis for me too. 

• Like 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Alice is lovely! Prefer it over Ellie.

(My friend's daughter is an Alice, her nn is Lissie, not Ally. )

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne
  • Like 1

MMM87

Ellie can be stand alone name- I like it. 

Kallie88

I love Alice, it was a top contender for our last baby girl. My eldest doesn't have a nickname, her name just doesn't lend itself to one and i think that's a good thing generally :)

Lou-bags

I love Alice!

How about Ellis? Has that Alice sound, gives you Ellie as a nickname?

• Like 1

Megg*

Thanks for all the comments! Finding it harder for us both to decide on a name this time. Especially one where we both like possible nick names. His family create nick names for every name. Alice definitely a favourite atm. 

• Like 1

Jenflea

I love Alice and I haven't met any yet, so that gets my vote. 

I've met an Ellie and an Ella at DD's school in recent years. 

And you may find his family creates some weird random NM you've never thought of! That has nothing to do with the first name. 

blimkybill

Ooh my niece has two of those 3 names and my daughter also has 2 of those 3 names. However in our family Ellie is short for Eleanor.  Eleanor and Rose would be a great combo?

Just editing to add that Ellen would also be a great combo with Rose, and you can give the nickname Ellie or just use Ellen. 

Edited by blimkybill
  • Like 1

la di dah

I know an Alice called Lissie. But the last syllable nickname thing is more popular where I grew up.

I find Ellie cute but would use it as short for at least Ella and probably Eleanor or Elise or something, not alone.

Astrocyte

Both are lovely names. Prefer Ellie slightly over Alice. I wouldn't assume Allie was a nickname for Alice; I'd assume her name was Allie or Alyce/Alyse. 

Amica

Don't like Ellie at all. Not a fan of Alice either as I tend to break into song. 😬

I almost didn't name my son what I did because I didn't like the common nickname. Turns out his nicknames are Schmarks, Scmako, Schmarkles, and Schmarkypops! No where near his name. His name doesn't even start with an S! My other kids nicknames are Woogie (Woogs and other variants), and Bigel.

• Haha 1

Hands Up

I like Alice. The Allie/Ally’s I know are Alison’s not Alice. All the Alices I know are called by their full name.

seayork2002
11 minutes ago, Hands Up said:

I like Alice. The Allie/Ally’s I know are Alison’s not Alice. All the Alices I know are called by their full name.

same

kerilyntaryn

Elsie would go with Rose too

Kreme

I think Alice is lovely. It’s my DD’s middle name so I am biased. I know a couple of kids and one adult called Alice. None of them shortens it, they are always called Alice. 

• Like 1

daisybelle22

I love the name Alice. One of my best friends is Alice and she gets Al occasionally but never Ally. 

FWIW I see Ellie as a NN and prefer Elle or Ella for a first name. 

just roses

Alice is a beautiful, classic name. I love it!

Those I know are just Alice or occasionally Al for short. 

Nicknames are a funny thing. I have a Lucy who has never been called 'Luce' but for years she was 'CeCe' because that's how she referred to herself from the moment she could speak. 

MoreCoffeePlease

We had Alice on our list for DD2 but it didnt really suit her so we went with Matilda. 

I adore it though! Every alice I know is called Ali and it was a con