Jackrabbit

Gift ideas for 10yr old girls

Jackrabbit

My twins are about to turn 10 and I have no idea what to get them. They aren't really into toys anymore, spending more of their time on devices and playing video games, which isn't ideal. One of them loves reading but the other one has little interest. I just don't know what to get them, and we have the double whammy of birthday in Nov followed by Christmas.

literally nobody

I think the Sportsgirl bags are great for a gift, id also add a voucher for Rebel sport or get her a pretty cushion for her bed. 

• Like 1

Riotproof

Do they like craft? There are some interesting kits for making things like lipgloss, or jewellery 

cooking?  Some baking equipment and cookbooks? 
lego? 

puzzles?

maybe something active - if you have a pool, something for that or new scooter/bike 

it is a hard age, I agree. I’m thinking of getting da some mine craft/roblox bedding. He does really like the mine craft poster he has. 

MsLaurie

Roller skates seem popular again with tween kids.

trillian42

For the reader - the Nevermoor series if she likes fantasy, or Land of Stories.

Or a Kmart/target voucher to be able to choose something themselves - at an age where choosing their own clothes or other items might be a novelty.

left field but my daughter liked receiving a cactus recently? Kind of ultra low-key pet vibe.

• Like 1

coastlife

My near 10 year old is asking for a penny board and diamond dotz.

Bereckii

Are they interested in board games at all? Mine received Pandemic at around that age and still loves it. She also likes Forbidden Island, but loves Pandemic the most. She loves that they are strategic games and that the players work together (not against each other) to beat the game.

A small fun gift is Uno Flip - more fun than Uno!

Agree with PP - the Nevermoor series is awesome.

Aquila magazine subscription?

I was going to suggest an experience gift, but maybe tricky given Covid, etc.

hills mum bec

My 9yo DD is getting for christmas:

Polymer clay set (we were visiting a friend who was making polymer clay jewellery and since then this has been top of DD's list).  You can also use it to make little figurines.  You bake it in the oven to set hard.

A journal with a DIY diamond dotz type cover.

A lego set and maybe a board game and some books.

laridae

Mine turned 10 recently.  She wanted Roblox gift cards.

What she got was a sloth onesie, a new pair of ice skating pants and her ears pierced (she wanted that too).

For xmas she is getting sloth slippers (she loves sloths), a sloth stuffed toy, and I'll probably get her that roblox gift card she keeps asking for.

Though she does a lot of other activities (gymnastics, ice skating, scouts, swimming) so not too worried about her activity levels.  

Do they have an activity or hobby they do?  Mine I can usually get her a new leotard, or ice skating outfit, or something related to the activities she already does.

L27

I have a 9 turning 10 year old DD. 

Things I tend to buy:

Crafts. There are a lot of different kits now. My kids love going to plaster fun house so you could do that. 

Board games from a proper board game store. There are so many cool ones besides what the usual Big W etc. sell. You will definitively find something

Activity/puzzle books at age appropriate levels

Lego 

Books. There are so many to choose from but this age lends itself to a few of the classics like Mary Poppins, Secret Garden, Playing Beatie Bow, Picnic at hanging rock, or Seven little Australians. You can get some really pretty versions of classics from QBD. 

UGears are mechanical wooden assembly kits. There are some really cool ones there from secret safes to ballerina pop up box. They can even paint them if they want. 

My daughter has a favourite crafty Youtuber and I got her merchandise from them. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

hills mum bec
8 minutes ago, L27 said:

I have a 9 turning 10 year old DD. 

Things I tend to buy:

Crafts. There are a lot of different kits now. My kids love going to plaster fun house so you could do that. 

Board games from a proper board game store. There are so many cool ones besides what the usual Big W etc. sell. You will definitively find something

Activity/puzzle books at age appropriate levels

Lego 

Books. There are so many to choose from but this age lends itself to a few of the classics like Mary Poppins, Secret Garden, Playing Beatie Bow, Picnic at hanging rock, or Seven little Australians. You can get some really pretty versions of classics from QBD. 

UGears are mechanical wooden assembly kits. There are some really cool ones there from secret safes to ballerina pop up box. They can even paint them if they want. 

My daughter has a favourite crafty Youtuber and I got her merchandise from them. 

Good luck.

Sounds like your DD likes exactly the same stuff as mine.

• Like 1

jillyrubyjane

Love Play Doh magical oven play set! My granddaughter and I have had such fun with this oven. The special pans fit into the oven and as a child presses the lever on the side, the Play-doh rises up through the openings as it "cooks." There's even a light that comes on during cooking, and a bell that rings when your "baked goods" are done. It's one of the best Play-doh toys I have ever bought. I highly recommend it.

Jenflea

I'm getting DD a new quilt cover set, Baby Yoda merch and some Revlon eye shadow in funky colours(she uses it at home when playing and it was half price last week) and I think some craft stuff. 

Bereckii

BigW has The Babysitters Club Box sets for approx $20 (and approx $3 delivery). They have box sets of the novels. They also have the graphic novels.

Put together a tie dye kit (eg dye from Officeworks or Riot or somewhere + a few white tshirts)

Beanbags.

Fairy lights.

Edited by Bereckii
  • Like 2

Jackrabbit

Thanks everyone. Their birthday is tomorrow. They got budgies (already) and are getting earrings, books (cookbooks for one, 'The School for Good and Evil' for the other (she has read the Land of Stories and Nevermoor series, and is also keen on The Keeper of the Lost Cities series) Just Dance video game, the Untitled Goose Game, and some board games that I have never heard of (we already have Pandemic and Forbidden Island).

I got organised too late for Baby Yoda merch but will try for Christmas. I did get Baby Yoda posters, which I have put aside for Christmas.

• Like 1