Maree83

No maternity pants provided by employer!

Maree83

Hi guys, 

As the title suggests,  my employer does not provide maternity pants.  They have given me a couple of maternity shirts,  but the company does not make maternity style pants.

I have been able to get away with the "rubber band trick" for a while,  but that is no longer working as my belly keeps expanding. 🙄

I need some tips or advice on how to make it through until I leave in January,  because as of now, my belt is holding my pants up! (Just).

I am expected to wear the standard company uniforms, with there logo etc, and the pants are not a stretchy fit. 

If I order a bigger size,  it will look odd as my pants still fit everywhere,  apart from the belly.

My employer also said that because of Covid, uniforms will take ages to come in. I also wear a belly band, which helps slightly,  but am really going to struggle as my pregnancy processes. 

I need help!

overlytired

If they're not prepared to provide you with maternity uniform pants, I would wear maternity pants that are closest in style to your work pants. 

• Like 31

Maree83

I thought to do that,  but there's nothing really close to them. I will try to look for something though.

Thanks for the reply.  It is just odd that they provide shirts but not pants.

overlytired

That IS odd. If you have nothing close or it's a very particular style, then maybe some black smart casual?

Maree83

I think I may have to do that, they won't like it, but not sure what they expect to happen really . I am certainly rocking an interesting style at the moment,  lol.

Bethlehem Babe

Given it’s against the law to discriminate, indirectly or directly against a pregnant women, if they have a problem with what you wear, I’d be mentioning that to hr. Document everything so far. 
https://humanrights.gov.au/quick-guide/12080

• Like 7

ContentedFleur

If they need you to wear a particular style of pants, and won't accept alternatives, then the onus is on them to provide pants you can wear! Is this the first ever time they've had a pregnant woman working for them and this issue has come up?

• Like 11

rosie28

They’ve got legal issues re discrimination, so I would be very surprised if they make a big deal out of it if you wear almost matching/close enough pants of your own choosing. They should really pay for them too, if they’re covering the cost of the uniform for everyone else. 

• Like 6

SeaPrincess

Ask someone at your employer - your boss or HR what they want you to do.

When I was pregnant with my first, I was working in a location where I wore uniform and I was the only woman on that particular site. When it came time to buy new uniforms, They didn’t have maternity pants so I used my uniform allowance for shirts, but they didn’t see me through to the end of the pregnancy. My boss advised me to wear navy pants if I could get them, and business wear on the top when the work shirts stopped fitting. Nobody cared, and my BFF loaned me her maternity work clothes because she’d had her baby a few months earlier.

• Like 1

Maree83

Thanks for the replies guys...I asked my boss again today,  and she said she'll talk to me before I leave today. 

To be honest,  we haven't had many pregnant employees here,and the ones we had, left rather early on in there pregnancy,  so the issue hasn't been raised.  Unless it actually was, and that's why they left early.

Maree83

I will see her response later, and if she doesn't provide an alternative,  I will find the closest match to our uniform and where those.

• Like 4

Green Sage

When this has come up in other workplaces that I have heard of, they have just let the pregnant woman wear whatever pants, even jeans, to work. If there is some sort of safety or business reason you can’t do that, then they need to supply you with maternity pants. (They should refund you the cost anyway, if you have to buy your own)

what sort of pants are they? Most uniforms are black or navy pants and are easy to match with.

• Like 3

Chaotic Pogo

As mentioned by PP, they’ve got legal/ discrimination problems by not providing a maternity uniform pants.  If it’s clear you made a vague effort and tried to match  (eg black, or navy or brown etc) they should let it go if they have any brains at all, even if the style is totally different.  Unless it’s a safety issue/ requirement and that’s a whole different ball game.

• Like 1

Maree83

Thanks for the replies guys.  I am on the hunt for similar looking pants. They aren't for safety,  they are cargo type pants, navy. 

My Mum is also getting creative by amending some old work pants that I have.

When I spoke to my boss again the other day, her excuse was that, because of Covid, the uniforms will not come in for ages anyway,  so what's the point?

She begrudgingly decided to try and call other store locations to see if anyone had any spares, but hasn't got back to me yet.

I have asked numerous times, so they have had entry of time to order uniforms, and I asked why the pants weren't ordered with the maternity shirts I was provided with, only to be met with a shrug of the shoulders. It has been so frustrating. 

gracie1978

We had this problem.  The employee in question didn't tell us until 26weeks and the uniforms took around 6 weeks to arrive...

I just sent her to target with $200 petty cash and she found something similar enough.

My director spat the dummy over it, but it would have been pointless ordering her a uniform.

gracie1978

OP just wear leggings, they'll figure out how to get you maternity pants pretty quick :)

Edited by gracie1978
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Maree83

Lol...yes I thought of wearing something entirely different,  just to prove a point.

Oh, and yes I understand that uniforms will take longer to arrive,  however my employer due to unforeseen circumstances,  knew n about my pregnancy at around 9 or 10 weeks, so she's had plenty of time. 

Chaotic Pogo
Maree83
Chaotic Pogo

:) You’re welcome. I’m sure you’ll find something comfortable. 

Your boss saying ‘they won’t come for ages so what’s the point’ made me laugh.  Umm, so you don’t come in naked?!!

Dont let your ar$e of a boss get to you. If there are any comments about uniform/ matching etc just respond that you’d ‘be happy for them to supply something they think is more suitable but at least this is blue’ and don’t engage further. Or be bullied into looking for another one.

It’s not on you to do better than ‘blue’ - it should be on them but some workplaces just don’t operate that way and you don’t have to rock the boat unless you want.

And enjoy the rest of your pregnancy if you can :)

• Like 1