Moneypenny2014

Has anyone fallen pregnant naturally at age 46??

Moneypenny2014

Hi Ladies

I am 46 and have 4 children aged 20, 19, almost 18 and 11.

I always fell pregnant very quickly when trying to get pregnant and after baby #4 I had 2 x Mirena's put in. The second one expired about 6 months ago and I didnt realise until I started to get a light period come back.  It is on my "to do" list to have it changed but I was just wondering if anyone has fallen pregnant naturally at this age. I am asking because up until now I was period spotting quite regularly and all of a sudden that has all stopped. I am a little concerned I could be pregnant although I will obviously take a home test  in the next couple of weeks if still no sign of it, just to be sure.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences! 

Silverstreak

An anecdote, but I know someone who fell pregnant for the first time age 46.

Lallalla

I’ve certainly heard of it - they often get called menopause babies don’t they? As in the mum thinks she is going through the change but she’s actually pregnant. Actually now I’m wondering if I have misunderstood the term.

It’s certainly possible in any case 

• Like 1

TheGreenSheep

I know 2 woman who fell pregnant naturally, one at 45 and 46. Both were their first.

Bloomer

i was 44 all natural..

• Like 1

melanieb530

I can’t help but wonder though with first pregnancies at 45 and 46 whether there wasn’t fertility treatment or an egg donor quietly involved. Not everyone who does IVF etc necessarily  chooses for it to be public knowledge. 

• Like 2

seayork2002

Not me personally but I have known it through friends 

Bird1

I know of one, the Mum was 45 with a 22 year old child.  Was a surprise baby for everyone 

seayork2002

Unless a person has been through menopause i dont see it as that unusual 

• Like 1

skicat

I know of one new mum, first baby at 50! Naturally conceived.

CrankyM

My nanna had her 8th at 44.

• Like 1

TheGreenSheep
1 hour ago, melanieb530 said:

I can’t help but wonder though with first pregnancies at 45 and 46 whether there wasn’t fertility treatment or an egg donor quietly involved. Not everyone who does IVF etc necessarily  chooses for it to be public knowledge. 

Nope not at all. 45yo was married previously and very unhappy. Divorced. Repartnered and re-married and fell pg naturally. Very surprised but happy. Their child is very healthy primary schooler. 
The 46yo was feeling very unwell and went to see her GP. Pee’d on a stick. I think stunned and shocked and horrified that at 46yo she and her DH were expecting is a complete understatement. 
So no, both weren’t quiet egg donors.

Ozquoll

One of my great aunts fell pregnant for the first time at the age of 50. We think her first husband may have been infertile - she remarried at age 47. Sadly the pregnancy ended in stillbirth at seven months. This was decades ago, if she'd had the improved medical care available now it might have saved the baby. 

• Sad 4

Soontobegran
2 hours ago, seayork2002 said:

Unless a person has been through menopause i dont see it as that unusual 

The chance of naturally conceiving a baby at age 46 is 0-1% per cycle and it does not have to be related to menopause.

Everyone seems to have a story of someone they know but in 3 decades of midwifery I have seen maybe half a dozen women who have conceived naturally after the age of 45 and successfully delivered babies.

The oldest has been 52 but this was her 6th and the father of the baby was actually 20 ( a very sad case. )

OP, at 46 but is extremely unlikely but not impossible. 

There are older women having babies for sure but they are generally via assisted reproduction.

If you are spotting you should see your GP anyway just in case you have an intra uterine infection.

Edited by Soontobegran
  • Like 2

little lion

If you have fallen pregnant with an expired Mirena in situ, you should get in touch with your gynae or GP ASAP. 

Edited by little lion
Autocorrect fail
  • Like 4

rosie28

My great-grandmother was 47 when she had her last child (of 17 children, so she was certainly fertile), and I know one 44 year old who had a baby naturally. 

Edited by rosie28
  • Like 1

RichardParker

My Grandmother, at 45. 

Kirralee2015

A close girlfriend fell pregnant naturally at 46 with her 5th child.  There is a 16 year gap between her 4th and 5th child.  She always said that she wasn't finished having children after her 4th and never gave up trying.  Her 5th is now a healthy, happy 7 year old.  My  53 year old girlfriend is one of those fit, marathon running, go getting, hiking all around the world with 5 children in tow  type of girls - who still gets her period so she doesn't discount more children...

Kalanchoe

My grandma had my dad in 1952 when she was 45, and her cousin had her surprise last child at 50!

Jenflea

*crosses her 46yr old legs*

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Ernegirl
On 19/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, CrankyM said:

My nanna had her 8th at 44.

Snap!!

Sancti-claws

My grandmother, while nursing, had a patient in her mid-forties who had assumed that she was going through "the change" and her upset stomach that the neighbour took her to town for ended up a big surprise for her husband and herself.

• Like 2

IamtheMumma

I'd be seeking counsel from the GP about the spotting.  But yes it can happen. I cared for someone a couple of months ago who had a surprise baby at 45. 

littlepickle

My current Mirena should see me until 47 and my Gyny has said that it would be fine at that age to keep for an extra couple of years as it would be highly unlikely that a natural pregnancy would occur with a combination of the two. If you don't have any of your usual early pregnancy symptoms then it would be highly unlikely that you are pregnant - but a quick check with a test would probably put your mind at rest.

On a side note I currently have three friends (all 44) who are currently pregnant - apparently 1 accident, 1 planned (after a long wait), 1 very planned (IVF). 

Good luck

tweedle-dee

OP, in the day that was today, in terms of  announcement of the EB forums closing in coming days, I've been thinking of you and hope you are up to speed of the interim 'slack' site that EB'ers are joining to keep the support networks going. I hope all is ok for you at the moment