BadCat

Things are feeling very election-y

BadCat

ACT election.

NZ election.

QLD coming up on 31/10.

And then the US on 3/11.

Is anyone else watching all this and hoping for resounding lefty wins but fearing the worst?  I'm excited but also don't want to be overly optimistic.  Elections never used to worry me this much.

• Like 8

Soontobegran

My DH is addicted to US election stuff and there is a constant drone going on in the background coming from his office.

I watch CNN during the night to check whether Donald has suddenly had a relapse but I can't get interested in Q'land or NZ as I feel the results are a foregone conclusion.

• Like 1

BadCat

I thought US 2016 was a foregone conclusion.  I can no longer feel certain about anything political. 

• Like 1

chicken_bits

VIC Council elections on 23/10 too. All via postal vote this year.

• Like 1

QuisbySchmoo

I do believe the NZ Labor party is going to romp home. I wasn't expecting that.

• Like 1

BadCat

Looks like it.  And that's great news.

Also looks like we might return a Labor gov in the ACT. Fingers crossed.  Will be interesting to see how many Greens get up. Looks like they might pick one up off Libs.

• Like 3

BadCat

Of course it was fairly unlikely the Libs would get up here since they've been getting further and further right.  Canberra is a pretty progressive place.

PuddingPlease

It's far less exciting but there are also council elections going on in Victoria this month, by postal vote obviously.

MerryMadrigalMadge

I keep hoping that after the disasters that Johnson/Trump/Brexit/Bolsonaro/Netanyahu/Erdoğan/etc have wrought on their countries, that there will be a wave of progressive change around the world, especially in the wash up of this pandemic.

• Like 5

BadCat

i hope so too. I really want to believe it's possible.

• Like 1

maryanneK

All the news says Jacinda Ardern has absolutely romped it in 😊

• Like 5

BadCat

PMSL at Alistair Coe conceding defeat in the ACT.  He opposed same sex marriage quite vigorously.  So I imagine it stuck in his craw to wish returned Chief Minister Andrew Barr and his husband all the best.  :rofl:

• Like 7

Chchgirl
1 hour ago, maryanneK said:

All the news says Jacinda Ardern has absolutely romped it in 😊

Jacinda has slaughtered the opposition,  very happy 😁

• Like 3

BadCat

Loving the NZ result.

• Like 2

PuddingPlease

Anyone else listening dumbfounded while the Liberal on the ABC panel talks about the Aboriginal incarceration rate. 

Maybe a word to some of her federal counterparts about this issue might be a handy place to start. From the people who brought you the Indue card.

• Like 5

maryanneK
11 minutes ago, BadCat said:

PMSL at Alistair Coe conceding defeat in the ACT.  He opposed same sex marriage quite vigorously.  So I imagine it stuck in his craw to wish returned Chief Minister Andrew Barr and his husband all the best.  :rofl:

Ok I have no idea about ACT politics, please indulge me... Assuming this is like a state election and chief minister is like premier? Is the "winner" openly gay? That still seems like a big deal in politics. Glad he's been returned.

• Like 1

Bethlehem Babe

No Murdoch media in NZ or ACT. 

• Like 6

MerryMadrigalMadge
19 minutes ago, maryanneK said:

Ok I have no idea about ACT politics, please indulge me... Assuming this is like a state election and chief minister is like premier? Is the "winner" openly gay? That still seems like a big deal in politics. Glad he's been returned.

• Like 5

(feral)epg

yay! Jacinda!  Feels like a victory for PEOPLE over economy.  Also science and common sense and kindness.  So happy for NZ.

• Like 8

(feral)epg

And Labor keeps power in the ACT, with gains to the Greens.

Happy happy day!

• Like 5

blimkybill
39 minutes ago, maryanneK said:

Yes the Chief Minister is just like a Premier. Andrew Barr is not just gay, he is married to his partner of 21 years and paid tribute to him when accepting that he had won the election. He has been chief minister for quite a long time.  

• Like 1

Jenflea

I'm still sad there weren't any democracy sausages near me, sigh. 

blimkybill
16 minutes ago, (feral)epg said:

And Labor keeps power in the ACT, with gains to the Greens.

Happy happy day!

Looks like the Greens have won at least one extra seat, possibly more. I'm very pleased with that.

In spite of climate policy not being that much of a state issue, I think the Libs made their losses and the Greens their gains due to environment/climate issues. Canberra won't accept climate inaction.

blimkybill
2 minutes ago, Jenflea said:

I'm still sad there weren't any democracy sausages near me, sigh. 

I saw some on TV! I didn't realise they were allowed again, but it seems they were. 

• Like 1

Jenflea

Our school didn't do the BBQ because they had no way of knowing how many to order. Order 600 and MAYBE sell 100? Order 300 and need 500?? No way of knowing..plus no one wanted to run it this year which is a bit sad.