RynandStompy

Time Magazine 100 best fantasy books

RynandStompy

A recently published top 100 list. 

I found it hard to search on my phone, but  did see many familiar favourites. Also several unfamiliar ones. 

I'll need to search another time to work out what books or authors I think are incorrectly omitted. YMMV

https://time.com/collection/100-best-fantasy-books/ 

• Like 3

Riotproof

I feel like Robin Hobb should be in there. Though I admit, I haven’t read many of the ones listed so I could be wrong. 

BadCat

The list does not include The Empire Trilogy by Janny Wurts.  Therefore the list is wrong.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

leosmum

I am happy to see Susan Cooper in the list 😊

• Like 3

PuddingPlease

I think Mistborn was a good choice. 

I'm a bit surprised that, out of all of Terry Pratchett's works, they chose The Wee Free Men but that's not because I think it was a poor pick.

A lot of work has clearly gone into ensuring that the list is quite diverse, a lot of the newer stuff I've never heard of making it hard to judge whether anyone was robbed since the books on the list might have just been better. 

I am interested by how many of the books that made the list were 50+ years old, many significantly older again. I assume that this probably is related to Time's demographic which I suspect would skew older. The listing of multiple books from the same series results in some odd quirks, particularly with classic series written for children. Is 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' really a better book than (to use a PP's example) Daughter of the Empire? I'd argue not but I may be in the minority in thinking that Narnia is pretty overrated. 

Oriental lily

Robert Jordan there but not Robin Hobb?

That had just made me dismiss the whole list .

Popular does not = the best 

I love all sorts of fantasy but also have always found Tolkien a chore .

• Like 2

Oriental lily

I also love all Janny wurts work .

My two favourite authors are Janny and Robin but overall I tend to prefer female authors 

More character development less rape and heads being chopped off lol.

• Like 1

BadCat
7 minutes ago, PuddingPlease said:

The listing of multiple books from the same series results in some odd quirks, particularly with classic series written for children. Is 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' really a better book than (to use a PP's example) Daughter of the Empire? I'd argue not but I may be in the minority in thinking that Narnia is pretty overrated. 

I would agree that Narnia is overrated.  I read it in primary school.  I tried to read it to my kids and found it so badly written we gave up.

• Like 3

ImperatorFuriosa

Everything was going peachy keen till I saw ****ing Outlander. 💩

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Elfie34
9 minutes ago, BadCat said:

I would agree that Narnia is overrated.  I read it in primary school.  I tried to read it to my kids and found it so badly written we gave up.

So interesting- my 9 year old is reading it at the moment and loving it. Having already read Harry Potter and r Dahl. I haven’t read narnia since primary school but remember loving  it. Maybe I should do a re read. I know it’s heavy on the Christian themes So might get a bit antsy on that.

agree that the empire series should be there. And robin hobb who I loved. But I’ve changed as I got older (ie older than high school) and started to get a bit over the inherent sexism of some fantasy authors like Eddings, Jordan and goodkind who I loved when younger but not so much now.

ImperatorFuriosa
28 minutes ago, BadCat said:

I tried reading The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe to DS2 and he said it was verbal torture. Soooo we went back Goosebumps.

• Like 2

Kiwi Bicycle

I.love fantasy  but I have only read 15 books on this list. I feel it's very older work heavy. It's missing so many works written in the laat 30 years.  I think it qould of been better if trilogy / series books were listed as such, instead of multiple titles eg Harry Potter series, Terry Prattchet Discworld and ao on. A series is best judged totally, not just one work.

• Like 4

ImperatorFuriosa

I feel it needed C. S. Friedman.

Lesley225

Is it in order?

I'd read all of the first 3rf, knew of some of the others and hadn't even heard of the rest.

I still love Narnia but hate the last battle although once sold a copy for a thousand dollar profit.

RynandStompy

I agree multiple books in a series surprises me as that leaves less room for other authors. Also a lot of older ones. 

I also agree Daughter of the Empire should be there. I never got into Robin Hobb so can't comment on that one.

I couldnt find NZ author Margaret Mahy there either.  I would have liked to see The Changeover on it.

Oh, and Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton. Or any of Barry Hughhart's beautiful trilogy.

I'd have preferred to see more local authors from different countries represented. Unless they're there and I've missed them?

And more urban fantasy. But perhaps the way the list skews to older works is why I can't see my favourite authors from that domain?

Lesley225

What about George McDonald a hugely influential author from the 19th c.  I read his books in my childhood 

CrankyM

I really disagree with a number of the ones on their and there are definitely some other authors work missing. And some of the choices for some authors, well personally I think they have better books (like the Anne Mccaffrey one, that choice was so so, there are so many better Dragons of Pern books). 
Also the voyage of the dawn treader from al the narnia books? Seriously? They picked THE most boring of all of them (I reckon the boy and the horse was best and it’s wasn’t really in the series).

Some of the newer stuff had good choice but some of what they consider fantastic I’d honestly just call fiction. These lists are so subjective though.  

• Like 2

Riotproof

And they are designed to get people talking.. 

• Like 1

L27

Well no Jack L Chalker and the wrong books listed by Terry Pratchett.  

Yeah I say PFFT to this list.

ContentedFleur

No Robin Hobb and no Naomi Novik? Boo Hiss! 
And Cassandra Claire is in there? Boo Hiss  Again! 

disagree with this list.