Tessied

Which games console?

Tessied

I promised my son years ago he had to reach double figures to get a games console and he'll be 10 in January, so it's time, heh.

I have NO idea about them though and have no idea which one to get, and all the articles I've read are even more confusing.

He likes to play stuff like roblox, minecraft and call of duty on the ipad.

Any thoughts?

Meepy

DS has a Nintendo switch.  We also have an old wii and PlayStation.  Minecraft is played on the iPad.  We don’t have games like call of duty.  I was guided by the kids with buying the switch - that’s the one he wanted for his birthday.

seayork2002

Ds had a playstation at that age, still has it l, he plays minecraft & roblox mainly on his ipad though 

ImperatorFuriosa

PS5 comes out soon. 👍 if not then PS4 is a good place to start. 

Ghost Girl

Some wise people on EB pointed me in the direction of an Nintendo Switch last year. Still very happy with it  played regularly, and we love it can come with us on trips to play family games. My DD is 9 nearly 10.

Edited by Ghost Girl

ImperatorFuriosa
1 minute ago, Ghost Girl said:

Some wise people on EB pointed me in the direction of an Nintendo Switch last year. Still very happy with it  played regularly, and we love it can come with us on trips to play family games. My DD is 9 nearly 10.

The Switch is another solid option.

amdirel

Switch.

Flutteby

Nintendo Switch here too.

Redchick2

My resident game console experts tell me the Xbox 1X will be really good for Minecraft. PlayStation would also be ‘ok’ for the games he currently plays. 
apparently the graphics aren’t as good on a switch. 

the above info is given with the disclaimer that I know nothing about these (except playing on them is the most important thing to have to do every weekend if you are my boys 😆) and I don’t think any thought was given to cost!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PocketIcikleflakes

We went for Xbox but we've had some things such as linking to Roblox friends and accessing chat that we can't seem to do on Xbox just for Roblox. Otherwise we like it.

Apparently Roblox is trying to sort out the issues? But it's annoying.

AdelTwins

The switch is great for this age. I’d get the one that can connect to the tv if you can afford it ($450).

Playstation 5 is coming out soon, but I honestly think their game range is more suited to the 14+ kids. They have a few kid friendly games but so many fabulous games that are M or higher.

Mae55

We have a PS4 and a Switch. We bought them the PS4 a few years ago but my younger son never really got into it. He saved up birthday and Christmas money to buy a switch last year when he turned ten. He still prefers the switch and the games on that. My teen prefers the PS4 but does play some games on the switch. 

pinkflamingo

Switch here as well. Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Mario (lots of different ones) and even some LEGO games to keep them entertained. 

coastlife

DD who is nearly 10 is getting a switch for christmas - for whatever reason that is the one she is after.   She is asking for the following games in this order - animal crossing, mario kart, minecraft and just dance.  

nightmarish

Switch is the better one for family time or younger kids. There are a lot more multiplayer games and the games seem to be suited for shorter and/or more active play. It's also among the cheaper options but the games are pretty expensive.

If this was being the main game system for the house I would probably go with xbox, it has good variety and they have a cheap gamepass subscription which gives access to a huge variety of games. There is a new one due out by the end of the year, but most games are going to continue with support on the existing console

Playstation has some amazing exclusive games, but many of the upcoming ones are going to need the new console (coming soon). It also is the most expensive option. I really want Stray personally but can't justify the costs. 

Both the new Xbox and Playstation have supply issues as well, so a Switch the safest bet.

L27

Swtich is best for this age group. Lots of interactive and age appropriate games. If you get the online membership all the old games are playable too like Donkey Kong and Super Mario, which kids love. I personally think it is worth the money to get the full Switch over the lite as he can play on handheld mode or tv. This is a very good system. I love it. 

PS5 isn't out yet so I would wait if you plan on going that way. I would recommend against getting a PS4 instead at this stage. The new console is going to kick a*se. I own a PS4 and they are great machines with great games but as it is nearly here you might as well wait. 

XBOX IMO is not for kids. It is a lot more focussed on the adult games with a big range of First person shooting games and not as family friendly IMO. Nothing wrong with it as a gaming console per se but I have found the games focus on violence or mature content over other sorts of games. 

Tessied

He's really really set on call of duty though unfortunately, is that not available on the nintendo?

Other than that one, he really likes to play the "obby" (wtf?  I don't know) games on roblox, I think they are obstacle courses, so that kind of thing.  Plus minecraft.

He's played call of duty at his dads, I don't have an issue with him having one or two shooter games.

Edited by Tessied

nightmarish
21 minutes ago, Tessied said:

He's really really set on call of duty though unfortunately, is that not available on the nintendo?

Other than that one, he really likes to play the "obby" (wtf?  I don't know) games on roblox, I think they are obstacle courses, so that kind of thing.  Plus minecraft.

He's played call of duty at his dads, I don't have an issue with him having one or two shooter games.

No Call of Duty on the Switch and no Roblox either. To play both those games you would need Xbox (or PC) since Roblox isn't on the Playstation. There are rumours that both games may become available on the other consoles, but no dates or certainty that it will happen.

The new Xbox which is Series X is releasing next month, it was pre-order and sold out. More may be release before Christmas but no guarantee. Both those games can be played on the current Xbox (Xbox One), but it may limit game options in the future. I am not sure of how much stock there is of the Xbox Ones but maybe they will be discounted once the Series X is released.

Tessied

Gosh, this is harder than I thought.  I hate roblox with a passion so quite happy to leave that out, so it's looking more like I'll go playstation.  I like the idea of the switch but he will just whinge his favourite game isn't on there.  He also wants plants vs zombies.

Ferelsmegz
On 21/10/2020 at 11:26 AM, Tessied said:

Gosh, this is harder than I thought.  I hate roblox with a passion so quite happy to leave that out, so it's looking more like I'll go playstation.  I like the idea of the switch but he will just whinge his favourite game isn't on there.  He also wants plants vs zombies.

I'd go PS4 then - personally im a Switch fan... but my DS prefers the playstation games so he has that ............. and I have the Switch haha

123Tree

Personally I would chose the switch.

The switch has a lot more games for younger kids and has better parental controls.

The new playstation is either just out or coming out for Christmas.