Behind Hazel Eyes

Robot Vacuums and Robot Mops, what's good and what's not?

Behind Hazel Eyes

My robot vaccum which I quite liked died on us recently, still trundles around but no longer sucks.  Caught Mr3 riding it the day before it stopped working, not for the first time either, so I expect he broke it.  Vaccuming is really painful for me so I need a new one ASAP and hopefully under $700 and would like to get a separate mopping one too.   Any advice what to buy or what not too would be great.  

• Like 1

Jenflea

I'd love a mopping one too! I never, ever mop and I really should lol. 

• Like 4

Meepy

There is such a thing as a robot mop?  Magnificent.

Edited by Meepy
Spelling stupid, stupid autocorrect
  • Like 5

JustCurious100

I have a deebot 600. She only vacuums but she does a good job considering i have an indoor dog who sheds (short, coarse hair). It cost us about 18 months ago $398. I've only just recently changed the brushes that came with it.

• Like 2

Mae55

We have a Roborock s5 Max. It’s a bit higher than your budget (on sale for $800 from their website) but does an excellent job of vacuuming and a pretty good job of mopping. 

• Like 2

Behind Hazel Eyes
38 minutes ago, Meepy said:

There is such a thing as a robot mop?  Magnificent.

I've never had one, they've been about for a few years but the earliest ones weren't great. 

11 minutes ago, Mae55 said:

We have a Roborock s5 Max. It’s a bit higher than your budget (on sale for $800 from their website) but does an excellent job of vacuuming and a pretty good job of mopping. 

Could go higher if it does both. I read it was best to buy them separately as the ones that do both aren't great.  Would be great if one could do both. Does it do the whole house as in mop and Vac in one go or does it have to do the mopping separately? 

• Like 2

Bethlehem Babe

We have a deebot from Aldi. It technically does both. But the mopping didn’t really work- made the floor wet but didn’t get rid of the marks on the tiles. 

• Like 2

Mae55

It vacuums while it mops. I think it said to vac three times before you mop the first time just to make sure it has cleaned everywhere. 

Because it runs every morning it does fine doing the two together. If we hadn’t run it for a few days I’d probably vac first and then mop. 

The mop isn’t  going to scrub dirty marks off the floor obviously but as a quick run around it’s fine. If you were someone who manually mopped the house every day, it probably wouldn’t replace that - I’m not. Mopping by hand was a much less frequent chore for me! 

I bought it for the vac - didn’t think I’d be impressed /use  the mop function much but I’m happy with it. We have hardwood floors. It might not be so great for grout lines on tiles or on textured tiles. It did ok on our laundry and bathroom tiles but I need to do the grout lines separately. 

Edited by Mae55
  • Like 3

tothebeach

I would also love to know about a robot mop that works.   I love my Roomba vacuum cleaner which I’ve had for years but a mop would be awesome. 

• Like 1

kookyred

I have the roborock s5 max also.  Its a great vacuum and mop.  Obviously will never replace vacuuming and mopping by hand, but I think the daily mop makes the floors about 70% cleaner.  Excellent on hardwood, ok on tiles. 

You do need to wash/swap the mop pad after each run.  Still a million times easier than actual mopping.

• Like 1

SeaPrincess

The original iRobot Scooba was an awesome mop, but they don’t make it anymore. It was fiddly with filling and emptying, but it was a proper wet mop, and it kept going around and around until it went flat. I ran mine every day in the kitchen/family/dining when the children were little, but when I went back to work, I didn’t run it as often and the battery died.

We replaced our Roomba 18 months ago and the new one is not as good as the old one was.

Behind Hazel Eyes
12 hours ago, kookyred said:

I have the roborock s5 max also.  Its a great vacuum and mop.  Obviously will never replace vacuuming and mopping by hand, but I think the daily mop makes the floors about 70% cleaner.  Excellent on hardwood, ok on tiles. 

You do need to wash/swap the mop pad after each run.  Still a million times easier than actual mopping.

We've got hardwood and lino.  Tiles only in the tiny bathroom. 

Behind Hazel Eyes
13 hours ago, tothebeach said:

I would also love to know about a robot mop that works.   I love my Roomba vacuum cleaner which I’ve had for years but a mop would be awesome. 

The robot vaccum Mr3 broke was a base model roomba.  It sometimes got stuck but was mostly good enough. 

can'tstayaway
On 17/10/2020 at 1:42 PM, Behind Hazel Eyes said:

Could go higher if it does both. I read it was best to buy them separately as the ones that do both aren't great.  Would be great if one could do both. Does it do the whole house as in mop and Vac in one go or does it have to do the mopping separately? 

We are fans of Roombas.  I’m not sure which model we have but I suspect it’s the latest.  It is really smart compared to the older models.  I wouldn’t bother with the bin function for the extra cost but it is helpful when the dog is shedding and the bin gets so full it has to stop.  With the external bin, it empties and then go back where it left off.

I also had a Scooba and thought they were brilliant.  My tiles and grout never looked so clean because it would actually scrub.  I bought it when my DD started crawling because I hated the dirty knees but was too lazy to clean.  I ran Scooba at least once a day and friends would be amazed that DD’s clothes didn’t have the dirt patches like all the other babies because there was that red clay dirt where we lived that stained everything.  I’m very sad that they discontinued Scooba.  I even bought a second hand one for a steep price because I loved them so much.  Eventually, it died as well from over work lol.

The Roomba BravaJets are pretty good if you have smooth floors.  They use microfibre mop pads so there are less streaks compared to Scooba.  It has a dirt sensor and will scrub patches if it thinks it’s dirty.  Easier to set up and use compared to Scooba.  It’s good for laminate floors because it’s not too wet.

• Like 3