Threetwoone

Do you celebrate your birthday?

Threetwoone

As the title says, do you celebrate your birthday by buying yourself a gift, having a nice dinner?

I like to but it's not always in the budget and then I feel sad than guilty for being sad. 

Does anyone relate?

• Sad 1

Riotproof

Not really. I always get a present from DH but I don't bother with a cake because I'd need to make and not buy it. Nobody else would do it, and I don't. 

Kallie88

Depends how I'm feeling. If I can be bothered going to the effort. Sometimes it'd be nice if someone else did it for me. Dh isn't great at organizing, though he did alright one year when I made it crystal clear I wanted him to work something out for me because me thinking of something is half the effort. Not sure why I apparently need to spell it out more than once 🙄 lol. Short answer: rarely

BECZ

In a basic way.

We have always been a low income family, but with savings, so there was always money if I ‘really’ wanted something, but I could rarely justify it.  I would always convince myself that if I found something I wanted later on, I could justify buying it.  Occasionally I have, but most years not and even when I did, it was quite often a household item rather than a personal item.

Mind you, we do always have takeaway (I usually can’t be bothered going out) and a cake (we have a cake shop across the road) which I quite often have to buy as the cake shop usually shuts before DP gets home, but I do this more for the kids than me.  I really wouldn’t be that upset personally.  

I’m sorry that you are feeling sad OP and please don’t feel guilty about that.

• Like 1

SeaPrincess

Absolutely! Definitely cake and DH always gets me something. I don’t buy myself anything, but I might drop some big hints!

I’m currently stumped as to what to get him though. His birthday is next week!

got my tinsel on

If DH isn't working the day of my birthday we (DH, DD and me) go out for a birthday lunch - we can't go out for dinner because most restaurants aren't open on my birthday night.  If DH is working that day, we usually get an early take-away.  DH and DD always have lovely gifts for me.

When I was single I always had a new dress for my birthday - either I bought one for the occasion or bought the fabric and pattern and mum would make the dress for me.

Now I might buy something if I need it (perfume getting low and needing replenishing etc) but not always.

• Like 1

gabbigirl

Yes birthdays are a big deal in this house. We make an effort for everyone’s birthday... gift, cake and somewhere out for dinner . One year they didn’t make an effort for me and I blasted them. They’ll never make that mistake again! 

• Like 1

daisy007

Nah, I’m not a birthday person. DH and the kids get me a cake and maybe a present sometimes but that’s as far as the celebrations go and I’m happy with that arrangement.

• Like 2

PhillipaCrawford

Not really.
I like people to remember and say Happy Birthday but my idea of a celebration is take away and a night in.

I am a preschool teacher and my birthday is in mid December so I am usually absolutely frantic with work and no energy for me.
We are at the stage in life where I can't really think of things I want - so family asking for gift ideas is just more on the mental load.
I am the one who has to think of something for someone to buy me so I don't feel guilty over them feeling guilty for not getting me something.

Let's just acknowledge it and move on

~Jolly_F~

Yes. Birthdays are a big deal here.

There is always a few presents DH Ana the kids have picked. Then it could just be at home with my favourite meal and cake or we might go out somewhere for a meal, depends on what’s happening but we always mark the occasions somehow. 

Birthdays don’t have to cost a lot to be special. 

• Like 5

Silverstreak

I celebrate in a low key way. I expect lots of cuddles and dinner cooked for me (or a nice takeaway) and I usually buy myself something nice. This year I bought myself a hairbrush I'd been wanting for a while. But we don't have a big budget so I don't want to spend too much.

WaitForMe

I'm not particularly interested in gifts, but DH and the kids get me something.

I have to have a cake because the kids insist on it. Once again its more for them than me although I'm always happy to eat it.

What I do purely for me, is take a day off work. I usually go into the city, to the art gallery, have lots of nice coffee in various cafes and read a book, do a little window shopping, just whatever takes my fancy.

Thats at risk this year though... even if things are open in time, with DH working at home with me I suspect he'll try and invite himself along... he doesn't get that me wanting to be alone has absolutely nothing to do with how I feel about him.

• Like 5

.Jerry.

No.  I don't enjoy fuss.  Never want gifts, attention, well-wishing or cake for myself.

• Like 3

Crombek

Yes, always, although the look of that has changed. DH and I are the 3rd & 4th birthday within a fortnight in our immediate family, with 3 of those in 6 days. So we do prioritise the kids, but there's a always least a family catch up & I make cake for kids & someone generally brings a cake for the adults to that. 

We do tend to purchase our own presents but always make sure there's a little surprise, and something picked by the kids. 

Honestly though, it's my most exhausting period of the year & often I just want to be alone for my birthday to recoup 😂

• Like 1

IamzFeralz

Yes definitely.  I was due for a major birthday this year and was going to celebrate it with family overseas.  Now I can’t do that.  So I am going to have a birthday week - get myself a massage, buy myself flowers and lots of takeaway.  I don’t have a partner to do that and my kids are busy at school (one doing HSC the week of my birthday).  

If I don’t do this I will just feel sorry for myself and be grumpy, not good!

• Like 3

Ruby red shoes

I prefer a low key birthday. Even going out for dinner feels like a chore to me. It’s just more work to get everyone ready to go. We usually order takeaway. It would be nice if dh and I could go out ourselves, but it’s not going to happen. Grandparents live too far away and I feel guilty leaving 3 kids with friends.

Dh usually buys a cake. I am not really a cake person, but similar to pp’s it more for the kids.

I usually get dh to order me some clothing online a nice dress or nightie that costs a bit more then everyday clothing. If I get a sleep in it’s a bonus.

Dh is more into birthdays then I am. We usually go for a bush or beach walk then go out for dinner at his favourite restaurant. He is super hard to buy for so is usually disappointed in that regard. The kids usually make a card and design the wrapping paper. I make a cake.

• Like 1

laridae

Normally go out to dinner (not necessarily on the actual day) or get nice takeaway. 

Cake, yes, though it might just be a Woolies mud cake. I expect DH to organise that and he does. 

Presents,  yes, I expect something (doesn't have to be much) from kids and DH. But I usually get myself something I've been wanting as well.

BadCat

Nah, not really.

I might buy myself something,  but I might do that any time of the year.

I usually have a cake because cake is good, but it's just a packet mix and it's basically an excuse to consume icing.  I make great icing.

Once in while my kids will remember and wish me happy birthday.  Sometimes they even buy me something.

I don't think anyone else even knows when my birthday is and that's fine with me. It's just another trip around the sun, no big deal.

I used to care more about it.  But at some point, when you realise nobody else cares that it's your birthday, you just don't bother anymore.

Edited by BadCat
  • Like 2

Lucrezia Bauble

yes, usually - we go out for dinner or often we go away for the weekend. I would usually go out for cocktails with some girlfriends as well. I don’t necessarily enjoy getting older, but, as my Dr said to me last week “it’s better than the alternative”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

rosie28

Yes, we (usually) go out to dinner, cake and lots of presents. I don’t usually buy myself anything but I have on occasion done a little “happy birthday to me” shopping.

seayork2002

not really no, I may buy a kindle book and say to myself 'that's for my birthday' or have what I want for lunch at work or if we go away for a long weekend fairly close to my birthday I will just think it's for my birthday or I have lunch out with friends or other family sort of thing

Dh is the same 

I dont really like a fuss in a genuine way I just never have but I had a massive 18th, 21st was a bit big and my 30th was as we moved overseas soon after so it was joint fairwell but normally no - the short version

• Like 1

No Drama Please

DH and I take the day off work and get a takeaway coffee then either go to the beach or go into town, go to some book stores, walk around, go for yum cha or Japanese after or something like that.  We get a cake, we all love cake.  I never tell anyone else and if I want presents I just buy my own.  I'm not a present person or a party person and absolutely hate being the centre of attention in even a minor way.

• Like 3

Hands Up

I don’t like fuss or attention so not many people know when my birthday is (a lot of people like me rely on FB to tell you it’s someone’s birthday!) I do like to take the day off work for the same reason but also my favourite past time is sitting at sushi train gorging myself while reading a great book so that’s what I do. Then DH and I go out for dinner.

• Like 3

literally nobody

I just recently had my birthday and a friend who has a birthday in 3 days wants us to always buy each other presents- but she buys me like $200 gifts! It’s far too unnecessary and expensive not to mention - i don’t actually do anything for my birthday apart from a dinner out with my hubby and kids, so i told her from now on no gifts for each other. 

ImperatorFuriosa

Nah, the novelty wore off years ago. I did turn 40 this year and well, we all know how this year is going...

I plan to do a redo of my 40th next year if circumstances allow it. But that's it really.