null

Robot vacuums on hardwood floors

null

I was wondering if anyone uses a robot vacuum on hardwood floors? Do they scratch the floors? Can they pick up something sharp and drag it along the floor? Do the wheels scratch the floor? 

As you may have guessed I am a bit worried about the potential for it to robotically scratch the floor!

• Like 1

JRA

I dont have one, but a friend does. All hardwood floors and LOVES IT.  She also has two dogs, so lots of dog hair. Not sure about picking something up and dragging it

• Like 1

Elfie34

I’ve had one for years on hardwood and never seen it scratch anything. They are pretty dumb and seem to get stuck in odd places but overall I think the robot has its place.

• Like 3

tothebeach

I’ve had one for 6 years with wooden floors and have no scratched floors.   Mind you, we don’t leave too many things on the floor but it will sometimes get charger cords stuck or suck up coins etc.  

• Like 1

Crombek

I got rid of our robot. No scratches on the floor but like pp it was ridiculously dumb, would get stuck under everything and constantly get lost, no matter how many times I reset the map. Everything, including chairs had to be lifted. And it wasn't a cheapy! Much prefer my stick vacuum. 

• Like 1

Green Sage

We don’t have one. The floor gets scratched enough from everything else though. You should see the marks under the kids dining chairs!

embrace the scratches, I did, it’s a lot less stress that way. Homes are for living in. 

Does anyone know how a robot vacuum and Lego mix though? 

• Like 1

appledumpling

Bamboo floors here, love my robot vacuum, yes you have to clear the floor and put chairs up, but you would have to move things if you want to vacuum anyway. Mine can also do a spot, for any spills.

• Like 1

Mae55

Our floors are scratched where the kitchen stools are. We’ve only had a robot vac for a fortnight but love it so far. We move our stools up because they have bars across at floor level and it gets a bit stuck there. It’s an area that needs proper cleaning so easier to put them up - but I tend to do that when sweeping or vacuuming anyway. 

It gets around legs of coffee table and chairs though. Even coped with our dining table which has metal loop legs so it needs to kind of climb over the strip of metal across the floor. 

It can mop as well. It copes really well with the dog and cat fur and love having such clean floors. I’d live with a couple of scratches for the lack of rolling dust bunnies!

Edited by Mae55
  • Like 1

Mae55
5 hours ago, Green Sage said:

We don’t have one. The floor gets scratched enough from everything else though. You should see the marks under the kids dining chairs!

embrace the scratches, I did, it’s a lot less stress that way. Homes are for living in. 

Does anyone know how a robot vacuum and Lego mix though? 

Wouldn’t be good with lego! Ours ate a nerd bullet today and shredded it up. We have a split level house so it does our living area on scheduled clean, if we want to use on bedroom and playroom level we manually move it there so we wouldn’t do that until the place was clean and tidy. 

• Like 1

can'tstayaway

We have had various Roombas on different hardwood floors for years now.  

The wheels are rubberised so don’t scratch.  It picks up smaller LEGO without issue.  The older ones did drag stuff around the room but the new ones have sensors and stop.  

I have kids and dogs so am realistic about our floors.  In our current house I deliberately chose a “wire brush” finish but my family could make anything ’rustic’ in no time.  

My MIL put in dark, high gloss floors in her house and the Roomba was fine on them.  Her Dyson barrel actually caused a scratch.

SeaPrincess
On 16/10/2020 at 5:43 PM, Mae55 said:

Wouldn’t be good with lego! Ours ate a nerd bullet today and shredded it up. We have a split level house so it does our living area on scheduled clean, if we want to use on bedroom and playroom level we manually move it there so we wouldn’t do that until the place was clean and tidy. 

What is yours? Our Roomba has no issues with Nerf bullets, but I don’t rescue them.