Jump to content
Jaffa donuts

Finding a kitten in Melbourne at the moment

Recommended Posts

Kreme
54 minutes ago, Jaffa donuts said:

Thanks for this, that sounds hopeful for us.  
It will definitely be an inside cat, that and it not being white or having a pink nose are my only conditions.

We have already collected some parts of a cat run from facebook marketplace so it can have an outdoor catio in the sun.

 

 

 

 

Someone at my house is trying not to feel offended...

 

55164511-C465-48A9-A34A-1C47B372A48F.jpeg

  • Like 10
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jaffa donuts

Oh sorry @Kreme's gorgeous kitty. I once had a beautiful baby just like you, but the cancer issues with those delicate ears and nose is not something I want to do again.  x  (I realise I am aiming for an indoor cat but given their propensity to lie in sunny windows I anticipate there will still be a lot of exposure)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreme
3 minutes ago, Jaffa donuts said:

Oh sorry @Kreme's gorgeous kitty. I once had a beautiful baby just like you, but the cancer issues with those delicate ears and nose is not something I want to do again.  x  (I realise I am aiming for an indoor cat but given their propensity to lie in sunny windows I anticipate there will still be a lot of exposure)

Yes that was another reason we opted for them to be indoor cats. The vet took one look and said “don’t let her outside!” Luckily her routine is to spend the majority of the day snoozing on my bed and only comes out to bask near the backdoor in the late afternoon. If I think she’s been there too long I only have to sit down with a cup of tea and she is straight over to sit on my lap and drop fluff in my cup. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kadoodle

This little derp gets sunscreen on his nose and ears because he sits in the window all the time.

9798EB9A-F7AD-49DF-BFAD-2D6172BD657E.jpeg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iavy

We got our kitten in July from the cat protection  society. I applied online for a kitten.

when I spoke to them they said they don’t always advertise the kittens as they go so fast.

we had a wait about  3 weeks to get her.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bubskitkat
9 hours ago, Jaffa donuts said:

what DD really wants is a seal point cat, (she wants a ragdoll but in all honesty it is the colouring she is keen on more than the breed and I have heard ragdolls can be a bit standoffish)  but we are also keen to rescue.  Tonkinese sound awesome.  If we decided to go down the road of buying a specific breed, any suggestions on how to choose a reputable breeder?

 

There is a cat breeders association. What you want is a breeder whom is very strict on adoptions. This means the kitten comes to you at 3 months old, fully vaccinated, desexed ect. The breeder should ask questions about your family and lifestyle and match a kitten to you. Before adoption you should be able to meet the kitten and it’s parents and see if it bonds with you. I got my Charlie from a breeder near ocean grove.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bubskitkat

07296533-71F5-4A99-89A1-E9E9E700AC57.thumb.jpeg.f6e14df6b93a8c364bf5b6d22a1e5b2c.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
needs to get out
10 hours ago, Jaffa donuts said:

what DD really wants is a seal point cat

 

The best cat I ever had hands down was a male siamese seal point. I actually rescued him, I think he was thrown out because he had a tendency to regurgitate. Had him for 15 years after I rescued him, I think he appreciated it.

Anyway, I find generally male cats are much smoochier and more likely to be people cats. 

If I had my chance to get a siamese again I would, although we acquired last two cats from Ingrid's Haven. Found Cat Protection Society too hard to deal with.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kadoodle
2 hours ago, bubskitkat said:

07296533-71F5-4A99-89A1-E9E9E700AC57.thumb.jpeg.f6e14df6b93a8c364bf5b6d22a1e5b2c.jpeg

He’s a magnificent looking boy. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caitiri

We got ours last year just before kitten season but we got the teenagers left over from last kitten season.  Which meant that they were completely litter trained which was lovely and that we could see their personalities a bit.  
 

A year on and I still feel like they are settling in,  Despite what we were told at adoption I think it’s unlikely they had much contact with humans pre adoption, but they are slowly becoming more confident with cuddles so even if you get one that’s a bit standoffish that can change 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mae55
4 hours ago, iavy said:

We got our kitten in July from the cat protection  society. I applied online for a kitten.

when I spoke to them they said they don’t always advertise the kittens as they go so fast.

we had a wait about  3 weeks to get her.

I’ve been applying since April and no luck! I was applying online for cats though so I guess I should have called! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sunshine_days

We get all our cats as kittens from the Animal Aid in Coldstream. They usually don't show the kittens online you would have to call them. There is also The blue Cross in Wonga Park.

 

All cats have had a lovely nature and loved humans as they got older. We always know that a cat chooses you. OUr current one is a ginger ninja, Lucy. whos a beautiful gentle nature, and loves nothing more to snuggle on the bed with you, i ahve two teens and she tolerates them but doesn't like a lot of loud noise. Its DDs job to fed Lucy, and she will snuggle with them if she wants. She is an indoor cat, 

 

Good luck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl
37 minutes ago, sunshine_days said:

We get all our cats as kittens from the Animal Aid in Coldstream. They usually don't show the kittens online you would have to call them. There is also The blue Cross in Wonga Park.

 

All cats have had a lovely nature and loved humans as they got older. We always know that a cat chooses you. OUr current one is a ginger ninja, Lucy. whos a beautiful gentle nature, and loves nothing more to snuggle on the bed with you, i ahve two teens and she tolerates them but doesn't like a lot of loud noise. Its DDs job to fed Lucy, and she will snuggle with them if she wants. She is an indoor cat, 

 

Good luck

True about the choosing you.

When the RSPCA still had open pens at Burwood, he was cuddling the kitten we'd chosen.  Along marched little Pepper and settled herself on his leg.  Hmm, looks like we're getting two, we said.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kreme
11 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

True about the choosing you.

When the RSPCA still had open pens at Burwood, he was cuddling the kitten we'd chosen.  Along marched little Pepper and settled herself on his leg.  Hmm, looks like we're getting two, we said.

We agreed to DD getting a kitten and somehow ended up with two. I have to say I recommend it. Especially when we go on holidays we just have someone feed them and they don’t get lonely as they have each other. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl
1 minute ago, Kreme said:

We agreed to DD getting a kitten and somehow ended up with two. I have to say I recommend it. Especially when we go on holidays we just have someone feed them and they don’t get lonely as they have each other. 

 

Not that I want to 'move' on our current cats, but next time, kitten or older, we will get a bonded pair.

Right now we've got our older 'prefers to be the only pet in the house' but never got her way, flatly refusing to engage in any play with the younger boy, who can't resist having a biff every now and then.  She can't stand any of them, never has been able to.  Merely tolerates the dogs if they're quiet.

We actually spend quite a bit of time keeping them separate it's so bad.  As for the kitty litter shenanigans ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mae55

Met a beautiful boy today but can’t take him home until next weekend.
 

Am thinking it over and trying to decide if it’s better to wait and get a kitten, or get this smoochy boy. He’s about 12-18 months. I did say I’d only get a short haired cat but he’s got beautiful soft medium hair. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bubskitkat
59 minutes ago, Mae55 said:

Met a beautiful boy today but can’t take him home until next weekend.
 

Am thinking it over and trying to decide if it’s better to wait and get a kitten, or get this smoochy boy. He’s about 12-18 months. I did say I’d only get a short haired cat but he’s got beautiful soft medium hair. 

He sounds like he’s chosen you as his person. 
 

Can we please see a photo?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caitiri

Congratulations you've been adopted lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl
8 minutes ago, caitiri said:

Congratulations you've been adopted lol

Yeah, she's been chosen for sure.

I know kittens are cute, but they're still very playfull for years.

We were going to adopt a kitten one time,  about ten years ago.  Walked past the pens of the older cats and this one jumped up on to the ledge inside the pen looked straight at us and miaowed and tried to get out to us.   'That one' said my daughter. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mae55

Yeah. I think he chose me. He’s a very pretty boy - these are screenshots of a video so not very clear unfortunately. 

78544F83-18B9-476E-A3E7-92AE73FA4D6B.jpeg

D205E59B-B230-4A7B-8099-C34F9559B06A.jpeg

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bubskitkat

He is beautiful with his chocolate coat and dark points.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jaffa donuts

oh he is lovely. I would take him in a heartbeat. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl

That look says 'take me home with you'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charli73

Gorgeous.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kadoodle

He’s stunning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...