Sign in to follow this  
Elfie34

Light fittings

Elfie34

Hi all

i need to replace most of my light fittings during our Reno’s of a 60s built house in melbourne (previous owners took most of them anyway!). I am looking for any recommendations for cheap but good suppliers of light fittings. Looking at beacon etc the nice fittings are well over $1000 and I can’t justify or afford that! I know there are online shops but not sure what quality and reliability they have.

thanks

catasaurus

What type of lights are you looking for, and what price range? I've found that besides certain shops like Beacon, a lot of the discount shops get their lights from the same handful of suppliers. Once you see what supplier is listed you can search using that and the light name, and find the cheapest one. 

Edit: I would avoid the Chinese based shops, the reviews are generally mixed. 

Edited by catasaurus

hills mum bec

We always buy our light fittings from Bunnings.  A lot cheaper than Beacon.

• Like 5

BrainFart

We have LED downlights, with a “tri-colour” setting which lets you choose 3x shades of light (bright to warm).. we bought ours at bunnings.. there’s a big range & prices, we got the cheaper ones which have been great. The bonus for us was no more changing light bulbs. 

Elfie34

I’m thinking pendent style maybe hamptons or traditional to suit the style of the house. 
And something a bit fancier for my music/ reading room. Maybe a chandelier (but modern simply style)

probably don’t want to spend more than $2-400 per light

tossing up a fan light for the back room that opens to the backyard and gets the most sun

Lesley225

I just bought a lovely leadlight pendant I'm happy with but I have fans in all bedrooms so can't buy more interesting light fitting.   But I do appreciate the fan.

Wish i had more places to satisfy my urges for pretty light fittings. 

Edited by Lesley225
spelling

Sentient Puddle

Have a look at Schots - so many lighting options and most reasonably priced.

~Jolly_F~

All I have to say is make sure they all take the same damn bulb... my house had 6 different styles that all take different bulbs! Pain in the butt! 

• Like 4

born.a.girl
11 minutes ago, ~Jolly_F~ said:

All I have to say is make sure they all take the same damn bulb... my house had 6 different styles that all take different bulbs! Pain in the butt! 

Doesn't that drive you crazy?  We've got way more than six different types between all of the things, and now have to have a whole damned box of spare bulbs.  Not so long ago people had a couple of different wattages, pearl or clear, that was it.

Green Sage
27 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

Doesn't that drive you crazy?  We've got way more than six different types between all of the things, and now have to have a whole damned box of spare bulbs.  Not so long ago people had a couple of different wattages, pearl or clear, that was it.

We had the same problem at our last house. Luckily you can get LED bulbs in almost any shape these days. And they last so long you don’t really need to stock spares at home. Nearly all our lights are LED now except our bedside lamps. 

born.a.girl
1 minute ago, Green Sage said:

We had the same problem at our last house. Luckily you can get LED bulbs in almost any shape these days. And they last so long you don’t really need to stock spares at home. Nearly all our lights are LED now except our bedside lamps. 

It's the shape, with us.  Three different lots of bulbs for the fan lights. Another for the exhaust/light in the laundry/bathroom. Another for the kitchen lights. Another for the bedside lamps. Another for other lamps. Three different sorts for the outside lights.  And on it goes.

• Like 1

~Jolly_F~

My problem is how you screw them in..

Some are those weird circle bulbs, some are downlights, some plain old screw in but we have both styles - pin and screw. Then there is this random style in one room. 

Just pick a bloody style and stick with it! 

My house only has half the lights working because it’s such a pain. Unless you take the bulb out and take it with you, you are bound to end up with the wrong one 😂

Edited by ~Jolly_F~

hills mum bec
13 hours ago, BrainFart said:

We have LED downlights, with a “tri-colour” setting which lets you choose 3x shades of light (bright to warm).. we bought ours at bunnings.. there’s a big range & prices, we got the cheaper ones which have been great. The bonus for us was no more changing light bulbs. 

We bought some of them a few weeks ago.  They are great!