seayork2002

Can you be responsible fo the actions of another? (Gladys Berejiklian)

seayork2002

I am pondering this, and first off I will say my thoughts are regardless of her being female and him male.

Also I do not know the full story so I am keeping this general

I want to say if you are aware of wrongdoing and you are in a position of authority should you have said something/reported it/not run for the job ?

But then am I only saying this because it looks bad? can you keep your private life separate from work?

No these are not fully formed thoughts

JRA

I think she is screwed, by herself.

I think the Wagga highway thing, where she as treasurer went to a meeting with him, when it made no sense, where the roads people didn't want the road to go ahead and it went ahead. That is enough to kill her.

Then him saying she was aware of his business deals etc, which were known to be WRONG and she did nothing. Well.  She is stuffed

• Like 3

can'tstayaway

Depends on your position.  Certain roles have greater responsibilities and a higher bar for standards of behaviour.

With GB, the issue isn’t her taste in men or what he did.  It’s about what she did or didn’t do when she knew there was a conflict of interest.  

She was the Premier and involved in making decisions about the new airport.  He was involved with the developers who bought the land and sold to the government for the said airport.  He would gain financially if they chose the Badgerys Creek site over other options.  She should have excused herself from the decision making process.

• Like 11

Kreme

I think the bar is set a little differently for the premier of a state than for a regular person. But even in the corporate world, if they both worked for the same organisation and one partner is the boss and the other one is doing dodgy deals/breaking the law I think the expectation would be for them both to go. It would be pretty untenable any other way. If he wasn’t an MP and was doing dodgy things and keeping them secret from her, perhaps she might be given a second chance. But the way it is, it seems like she knew something was going on, even if she kept herself in the dark about the details. 

On a practical note however I am very concerned about who would replace her as most of the candidates are not appealing to me at all! DH got polled on likely replacements and asked the guy if there was an option D for “none of the above” 😩

• Like 8

MadMarchMasterchef

I dont know the details either but I know politicians are supposed to be held to high standards of behaviour that the community would not consider to bring the public office into disrepute.   As are public servants, for that matter. 

• Like 1

Pooks_

You can be complicit through inaction. It depends on your power in the situation. 

• Like 9

Fennel Salad

Oh Gladys, why oh why??? It's disappointing really, a perfectly great career in question like this.   Oh Gladys!!!

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

3rd time lucky

Can someone smarter than me give a summary of what has happened?

im in vic, so have only seen headlines.

but I do admire Gladys from the little I’ve seen - it would be a Shane for her to have to resign.

As to the OP, we should hold politicians to a high standard. No one is responsible for the actions of others. But if she had information which would compromise her role/ the public then she is responsible for how she responds to all information available to her.

• Like 3

tothebeach

There have been so many decisions from the NSW government that seem to defy logic - tearing down the stadiums, move of the powerhouse museum, trains that don’t fit in the tracks, ferries too tall for bridges, Icare.  Gladys presided over all of these. 

What these revelations show was that there was a culture of acceptance of ‘lining your pcokets’ and doing favours for your mates in the NSW government.   And that for all her statements around her integrity, Gladys allowed this to happen around her.     

So yes, as a leader, you can be held responsible for the  behaviour of the people around you due to the culture that you create.   In her case, I don’t think that she should be held responsible for his behaviour because of their relationship but for her own. In knowing about it and doing nothing.  And in allowing herself to be in a compromising position where her decisions directly benefited him.  

• Like 20

onetrick

I work with my husband and have had to disclose conflict of interest in a few things much much less significant than what we are talking about here. There are serious ethical breaches.

And agree with seayork- this isnt a gender issue.

• Like 5

Not Escapin Xmas
13 minutes ago, tothebeach said:

There have been so many decisions from the NSW government that seem to defy logic - tearing down the stadiums, move of the powerhouse museum, trains that don’t fit in the tracks, ferries too tall for bridges, Icare.  Gladys presided over all of these. 

What these revelations show was that there was a culture of acceptance of ‘lining your pcokets’ and doing favours for your mates in the NSW government.   And that for all her statements around her integrity, Gladys allowed this to happen around her.     

So yes, as a leader, you can be held responsible for the  behaviour of the people around you due to the culture that you create.   In her case, I don’t think that she should be held responsible for his behaviour because of their relationship but for her own. In knowing about it and doing nothing.  And in allowing herself to be in a compromising position where her decisions directly benefited him.  

NSW politicians just don’t seem to understand that this sort of thing is not ok. Both labor and liberal. It’s like WA Inc all over again.

• Like 4

marple

The stadiums were a disgrace and I haven't trusted her since. Sadly, the NSW Labor party is a disaster. Corrupt or dull - seems to be the 2 attributes that guarantee you a seat in Parliament.It 's horrific here in NSW , has been for years.

• Like 8

kadoodle

If Gareth Evans and Cheryl Kernot could both get the boot for being in a relationship with compromised their integrity , I don’t see why this can’t happen here too. I’m sure the koalas will appreciate her departure.

• Like 6

Dianalynch

If she knew something, and didn’t report it, she is involved, she must go. 

• Like 5

PocketIcikleflakes

As PPs, she's not responsible for his actions, she is accountable for allowing it to happen and for be disclosing conflict of interest.

@Not Escapin Xmas what's WA Inc?

• Like 2

doubledelight
1 minute ago, PocketIcikleflakes said:

As PPs, she's not responsible for his actions, she is accountable for allowing it to happen and for be disclosing conflict of interest.

@Not Escapin Xmas what's WA Inc?

WA Inc was the Western Australian Government who were in bed with developers and miners.  Corruption was widespread and in all layers of government and public service.

I don't agree with Gladys' politics in any way shape or form and I firmly believe that she has been undone this time.  She knew what was going on and turned away from it.  She had a responsibility to the people of NSW to stop the corruption, her silence condoned it.  I don't give a rats whether she was doing the deed with this scumbag but she was effectively his boss and she let it slide.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Not Escapin Xmas
2 minutes ago, doubledelight said:

WA Inc was the Western Australian Government who were in bed with developers and miners.  Corruption was widespread and in all layers of government and public service.

1980s- Alan Bond and all that. There were massive changes to how govt runs there after. NSW needs the same shake up. The pollies are so in it here they don’t even see it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

DQMission

My latest uni topic has been  corruption in public service roles and I have had to learn a lot about wrongdoing, being aware of wrongdoing and speaking out about wrongdoing.

In most australian states, if someone in a public service role has what is called a declarable association (which is when they are in contact with someone who is behaving unlawfully, corruptly or behaving in a way that would refelct poorly on the office of the public servant and/or their organisation) that they dont disclose to the relevant authority, then they have engaged in misconduct just by that fact. 

She had a declarable association which she didnt disclose and she knew of misconduct which she didnt report which at the very least show a significant lack of integrity and accountability. In some public service roles (police etc) it is an offence not to report known or even suspected misconduct.

No question in my mind how wrong this is. In short, the public service policies that I am aware of say that yes, a person who is in a position of power and does not report wrongdoing (no matter who is doing the wrong thing) is committing a wrongful act by omission.

• Like 16

franklymum

I'm a bit torn. On one hand, there's too much smoke for her not to be complicit. On the other hand, leadership pickings are slim and NSW residents will understandably be reluctant to relinquish a leader who has been mostly competent (apart from Ruby Princess) in handling the covid crisis. It's a sad state of affairs Australian politics. Integrity is almost too much to hope for - at this point settling for basic competence seems like a reasonable choice. A lot of people I've spoken to feel like this. In better times maybe she'd have to face the music. 

• Like 1

EsmeLennox

If she knew about corruption and did nothing, then she is complicit in my view. At the end of the day, she is a public servant and must abide by the same rules as every other public servant.

• Like 7

ineedmorecoffee

I wonder what was discussed when they closed off the ICAC hearing to the public today, maybe some more damaging evidence has come to light. 

I predict she will be gone within a week.

• Like 1

Fahrook

Scomo has called off national cabinet tomorrow because of technical issues with his plane. Can’t see why this would stop him from holding an online meeting from QLD.  I suspect the Gladys situation might be the real reason.   

• Like 8

got my tinsel on
28 minutes ago, ineedmorecoffee said:

I wonder what was discussed when they closed off the ICAC hearing to the public today, maybe some more damaging evidence has come to light. 

I predict she will be gone within a week.

I think it was a telephone conversation of an 'intimate' nature.  Aired so there was no misunderstanding about the kind of relationship they had.  Gladys testifying that she maintained her relationship following his sacking because he needed 'a friend' may have been interpreted as a close personal friendship rather than a sexual relationship.  I think that any doubt has now been dispelled.

• Like 1

Pooks_

Well the transcript was online for half an hour before they realised and pulled it down, so I think that some people won’t need to wonder. An unbelievable oversight, really. 

• Confused 1

Bethlehem Babe

It’s not the relationship as such, it’s the lying to icac and the corruption of the partner. 

I have disagreed with many of the decisions this government has made. But it has handled the bush fires well and covid well. 

• Like 2