Daffy2016

Birth option help

mandelbrot

So on the subject of stirrups, I just checked my recollection of childbirth with DH - I had an epidural both times, both times DH/midwife were on leg-holding duty during pushing while the OB sorted the forceps/vacuum. The stirrups had to come out for the long stitching process (2hrs+, including detailed training commentary for the midwife on different stitching techniques) with DS1, and for the MROP (do not recommend).

• Like 1

QuirkyMum

OP,

I was told that (depending on the hospital) once you’ve had epidural, even if it wore off or was completely unsuccessful, you likely will not be allowed to give birth in positions other than on your back or your side. 
Which makes sense.

• Like 1

Soontobegran
9 minutes ago, QuirkyMum said:

OP,

I was told that (depending on the hospital) once you’ve had epidural, even if it wore off or was completely unsuccessful, you likely will not be allowed to give birth in positions other than on your back or your side. 
Which makes sense.

Not sure why?

I birthed on my side with an epidural for one baby.

• Like 1

Daffy2016

I’m fine with being on the bed if I choose an epidural. My confusion was around the doctor saying that’s how I have to give birth, epi or not, which seemed very unusual to me.

Unfortunately I didn’t have time to call today but I should be able to tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone!

• Like 2

PrincessPeach
1 hour ago, IamtheMumma said:

At 32 weeks, breech isn't an issue so put it out of your head. Bub can, and probably will, turn.

I missed that bit.

my first turned somewhere between 34 & 36 weeks. I know that one because we moved house at 35 weeks & DH got a lecture from my Ob about if he let me lift anything heavier than a milk bottle he was in trouble, DS was footling breach at that point still, so ultra high risk if my waters were accidentally broken.

• Like 1

BusbyWilkes

Could they have meant if Bub didn’t turn  (was breech still) and delivering vaginally that the stirrups would be required? Just trying to think of possibilities that this would have been mentioned; as it’s obviously not standard. Good luck.

• Like 1

Daffy2016

@BusbyWilkes they won’t do vaginal deliveries for breech - which I totally understand!

Thanks for the tips all. I know there’s still time for DS to turn but I need to make a decision at 37 weeks if I want to try ECV or go for a c section, which is how we got started on what was available for labour. I’m feeling a lot better reading your replies though and it will be interesting to speak to the midwives tomorrow on the phone.

QuirkyMum
1 hour ago, Soontobegran said:

Not sure why?

I birthed on my side with an epidural for one baby.

Yep, after epidural you can only birth on your back or on your side. That’s what I said or tried to say:)

Why? Insurance maybe? Unless hospital can provide “walking” epidural they can’t let you stand or kneel.

BusbyWilkes
6 minutes ago, Daffy2016 said:

@BusbyWilkes they won’t do vaginal deliveries for breech - which I totally understand!

Thanks for the tips all. I know there’s still time for DS to turn but I need to make a decision at 37 weeks if I want to try ECV or go for a c section, which is how we got started on what was available for labour. I’m feeling a lot better reading your replies though and it will be interesting to speak to the midwives tomorrow on the phone.

No worries! A family member was going to be allowed to try a breech vaginal delivery a few years ago (had already had a couple of “easy” non-breech births). But they did ECV successfully, so didn’t need to. 

Ellie bean

My decision was to try the ecv, if it was t successful I would have happily had a cs. I was a good candidate for it though and my OB had done lots of them.

i really hope everything goes smoothly!

Kallie88
6 hours ago, IamtheMumma said:

If you want to birth in water, you can birth in the shower. GDM doesn't prevent that option for you.

Agree with everything else from your post, but i'm not sure this is always true. At my hospital I had to be monitored during labor because of my GDM they wanted to make sure baby wasn't in distress which meant I couldn't go in the shower because of the machines. OPs hospital may not have the same protocols and of course she has every right to refuse monitoring. But when it's recommended, it is generally for good reason

Etta

I had GD and I was over 40 but I was encouraged to use the bath, move around etc. Like a PP I was happy to lie on the bed rather than move around. I had to really fight to stay in the midwife clinic rather than see an OB when I was diagnosed with GD so I guess different hospitals have different approaches. But it really sounds as though you need someone to advocate for you to help you ask all the right questions. Do you have someone you can take to your appointment next time?

• Like 1

Soontobegran
11 hours ago, QuirkyMum said:

Yep, after epidural you can only birth on your back or on your side. That’s what I said or tried to say:)

Why? Insurance maybe? Unless hospital can provide “walking” epidural they can’t let you stand or kneel.

I had full feeling other than contraction pain and certainly knelt and stood beside the bed. I didn't go far as I was being monitored but this was in the 80s and telemetry monitoring had not been invented yet unfortunately.

From my work experience it was dependent on whether the woman had sensation and movement of her legs as to what mobility she could have in labour.

• Like 1

Daffy2016

I cannot believe it - I called the birth clinic and they put me on to speak to a doctor... and it was the same one I saw on Wednesday 🤦‍♀️ I asked her to clarify and she said it wouldn’t have to be stirrups but I would be on the bed and the doctors ‘prefer’ to have stirrups because it gives them more room if the baby needs help coming down.

I may be being over sensitive but I feel like I’ve just been categorised as ‘will need intervention’ and that’s where they’ve come from for this whole pregnancy. My GD is diet controlled, DD was a normal size and scans of DS say he is at the moment too. I guess they’re assuming risk because it’s safer but I just feel like everything is going to go wrong.

• Sad 2

Lou-bags

Oh how frustrating, Daffy2016!

• Like 1

born.a.girl

Gosh, I had my daughter in 1991, and on a tour of maternity they said that the stirrups were rarely used any more except for specific circumstances.  The inference was strongly that they were for the benefit of the doctor, not the mother, and now birth was more mother-focused.

• Like 1

overlytired

Can you write up a birth plan, indicating your preferences? Make sure your partner understands and will support you, but ultimately, you want to have someone with you who can advocate on your behalf. Sometimes our partners aren't great at that. If that's the case, maybe a 2nd support person?

Obviously any medical necessity comes firat, but it sounds like they have a qay of doing things because its always been done that way.

• Like 1

tinselfoil hat

That is really rubbish :( I am amazed doctors can practice like that in this day and age! 

• Like 2

Soontobegran
44 minutes ago, Daffy2016 said:

I cannot believe it - I called the birth clinic and they put me on to speak to a doctor... and it was the same one I saw on Wednesday 🤦‍♀️ I asked her to clarify and she said it wouldn’t have to be stirrups but I would be on the bed and the doctors ‘prefer’ to have stirrups because it gives them more room if the baby needs help coming down.

I may be being over sensitive but I feel like I’ve just been categorised as ‘will need intervention’ and that’s where they’ve come from for this whole pregnancy. My GD is diet controlled, DD was a normal size and scans of DS say he is at the moment too. I guess they’re assuming risk because it’s safer but I just feel like everything is going to go wrong.

It takes all of 10 seconds to put up stirrups if needed, I am sorry but based on what you've told us I can not imagine what the heck she is talking about.

Most doctors do not prefer stirrups. Can you talk to a midwife and clarify since it will probably be midwives who deliver you unless you do need intervention ?

• Like 1

Daffy2016

@Soontobegran I called the midwives but as soon as they looked up the record they said I had to speak to the doctors. I’ll definitely write up some birth preferences but I feel like they’ll be ignored.

I feel like she’s decided I’m going to need all this intervention before I even get there, if you know what I mean. I hope I’ll get a nice midwife on the day!

What I’d really like is someone to go over my file and explain to me why I’m high risk (other than saying it’s the GD) and why I can’t see the midwives. When I ask I get various answers based on GD, DD’s size at birth (which they recorded incorrectly and don’t seem to have fixed, despite me pointing it out) and that it’s ‘just to be safe’. But I don’t feel safe, I feel like a collection of medical bits and not a person.

• Sad 2

Kallie88

Oh hun, I know the feeling, it's sh*tty. I coped by not focusing on it too much and hoping for the best, but I know that's worse for some people.

GD can bring complications, mostly because of possible big babies (I had 1 out of 4 gd babies born 'big' and he was only just over 4kg, ironically he was my quickest and easiest birth lol). while unlikely with well controlled GD,  babies can have under developed lungs, I think there can be an increased chance of PP hemorrhage. after the birth they of course need their sugars checked but that's not really to do with the birth. GD babies can be more likely to be induced (3/4 for me) if they're concerned baby is big or, my hospital wouldn't have GD mums go past their due date. induction of course increases risk of other interventions (which i was very glad to avoid 3 times) That's all the stuff i can remember from my experiences. It can certainly feel over the top and medicalized, but it doesn't have to translate to the actual birth you have. It's good to get it on your head that it's possible so it doesn't throw you if it does happen, but try not to think it's inevitable because it's not xx

Daffy2016

Thanks @Kallie88. I had GD with my first so I’m okay with extra monitoring and tests - I’m actually a better safe than sorry person! I think I’m finding it hard because for my first it wasn’t considered a huge risk - I was in a midwife continuity of care program, saw an OB twice who was happy to leave things up to my midwife etc. This time it feels very different and disconnected.

Ive just made an appointment with my Gp to talk things through and see what they suggest, either from a physical or mental health perspective.

• Like 4