Sign in to follow this  
Steph19

Deoderant at 7?

Steph19

My 7 yo DD has started getting smelly armpits. Its not super obvious to others but I can smell the BO on her uniform mainly. 

Shes tiny for her age and actually developmentally delayed. Is this a sign of early puberty or can it happen randomly?

All the girls in my family got their period at 12 so not particularly early. She does have a genetic condition and now I'm worried that could be a factor. 

OR is it nothing to worry about and should I just get a gentle deodorant? I use a natural cream one so it would be like rubbing a cream under her arms? Thoughts please. She'll be 8 in April.

rosie28

I’d have a chat to your GP (not urgently) just to check there isn’t anything going on. But a natural, general deodorant shouldn’t bother her skin so I’d go with that. 

• Like 1

born.a.girl

It might also be the fabric the uniform is made from.

I mostly use a natural deodorant, but I have some clothing items that I have to wear the stronger stuff with (that's as an adult obviously).

Mitchum have just brought out a bamboo powder one which I'm finding quite good.

• Like 2

Baroness Bubbles

My DD started with the BO at 6. It was as strong as a fully grown sweaty male.

She is now 12 and still shows no signs of getting her period.

In our house, she just learnt to wear deodorant early.

We also have discovered she needs the clinical protection ones as none of the others worked

Steph19
20 minutes ago, Baroness Bubbles said:

My DD started with the BO at 6. It was as strong as a fully grown sweaty male.

She is now 12 and still shows no signs of getting her period.

In our house, she just learnt to wear deodorant early.

We also have discovered she needs the clinical protection ones as none of the others worked

This is so reassuring. With a development delay dealing with periods will be traumatic enough let alone early periods. I'll see what easy to apply ones they have at the  health food store locally. 

Not Escapin Xmas

A friend’s daughter is the same. Nothing else going on. She is using Moogoo deod and finding that works well and is very low chemical.

dopeydoo

My DD started to get noticeably smelly at nearly 7. We got her a natural deodorant from Coles. She is now 9 and has  started showing more signs of puberty so I expect her to have her first period at 10 or 11. So early but not out of the normal range.