teaspoon

tell me about your 16 year old son's part time job

Silverstreak

I was 19, not 16, but I got my first job working checkout at a big supermarket and there were plenty of younger people working there.

I found the training good, there's always work available and there's generally work in your suburb (or close to, depending on where you live.) My earlier work experience meant it was easy for me to get a job there years later at a different store when I was a uni student and that stint has led to other jobs as well.

Babetty

16 DD of friends of ours just got her first job at TK Maxx. It was right place, right time - she walked in with her resume, asked to speak to manager and giave the manager her resume. An hour later (while driving to the next set of shops to hand out even more resumes) she got a phone call asking her to come in for an interview the next day.

14 DS of other friends just started at a local pool shop - with the weather warming up, they're getting busier.

I've heard the in-person resume delivery and speaking to the manager is far more effective for junior jobs than online forms and emails.

MadMarchMasterchef

My friend's teenage son installs TV aerials when on uni holidays. 

suzyr

My sixteen daughter started  at Subway when she was 15...a healthy fast food.  She is loving the money.  Your son may find it difficult to get his first part time job in anything else but fast food...good luck.  Fast food seems to be a good one for a first job.