teaspoon

tell me about your 16 year old son's part time job

teaspoon

DS needs some sort of part time work.

He's adamant he doesn't want to work in the fast food industry.... what work has your teen had?

seayork2002

Not yet but DS13 says he wants to work in a garden nursery, he will also have  volunteer opportunity if he wants it but of course this won't be paid

SeaPrincess

Mine referees for his sport. The hourly rate is excellent, but not many hours actually worked.

Cinema is a good one. I know some boys who work retail - one is often on the door at Kmart checking bags.

• Like 1

blimkybill

My nephew works in after school care. His local OSHC provider employs a few young unqualified people as part of their team.

Apart from that, garden labouring in your area can work. 

amdirel

DS1 teaches taekwondo weekly, and does labouring/handyman work with his scout leader in school holidays. Works for him as it's casual and flexible, so he can easily not work if he has exams or a social event.

DD has applied for your 'typical' jobs, all retail, and has had no success because her availability is not huge. But she will keep trying. She doesn't want to do fast food either.

rosie28

I don’t have a 16yo yet but teens we know work at a chocolate shop, woolies, a bakery, teaching karate and at a milk bar. 

I worked at a bakery as a kid, great job though I’ll be a great snob for life. I also babysat quite a bit. DH worked at a cinema, Macao’s and then a service station and bottle shop once he was 18. My brother worked at a cafe in the kitchen and waiting tables.

hills mum bec

When my DS was 16yo his part time job was cleaning the meat unit at the local supermarket.  He loved that job, it was 2 hours every afternoon after school but it was flexible time, so long as he started some time between 3.30pm (when the butchers finished) and 7pm, he worked his two hours and went home.

DD is 16 and she works at the local supermarket in the service deli.

• Like 1

Karlee99

My son had an apprenticeship at 16 but while still at school he worked afternoons for our business cleaning the shed or getting trucks loaded for the next day and Saturdays for a local engineering company cleaning their workshop. Also did odd jobs for a local motorbike shop on random days loading shelves or whatever they needed done.

DD had a job at a kebab shop at 14, which was in walking distance of school and progressed to Kmart a year or so later, which at the time was her dream job.

Edited by Karlee99
Spelling

CrankyM

Friend's kids do the following:

Referee for various sports (does require some training)

Retail (Red dot, target, Woolworths)

Cinema (when it still existed)

Gardening/mowing lawns

One did lifeguarding at the pool

Oh and working the kiosk/desk at the pool

barrington

I also have a 16yr old looking for work.  He has applied to 20+ christmas casual roles in the past few weeks with no responses yet.

The very vast majority of his friends who have jobs, have them due to who they or their parents know.

• Sad 1

nom_de_plume

At 16 I worked at the local Woolworths. My brother umpired and coached sport for juniors.

Ferelsmegz

Lol - pretty sure its PS4.. however I have lost it with him this week and made him apply for fast food jobs - which he has done without fuss.

marple

Mine have done various - electronics store; tutoring in academics, music tutoring; sports store; sports refing and coaching. 

BusbyWilkes

In some  social groups, kids might get jobs through family contacts. 
However, in our experience, this is not the case. Applying for job vacancies, dropping cvs in and chatting with small business owners and not being too fussy about the first job have all helped the kids we know, including our own. They do come from a place of relative privilege, where they have families who can help them to write a cv etc.

• Like 2

cstar

My DS when he was 16 worked for coles fixing up the shelves for a while.

Now he is 19 he is tutoring.

My DD14 is adamant she is going to work at Bakers Delight.

Let-it-go

For those who’s kids don’t want to work in fast food, Subway isn’t too bad.  No fat fryer or cooking.  I did that.

• Like 2

Karlee99
31 minutes ago, BusbyWilkes said:

However, in our experience, this is not the case. Applying for job vacancies, dropping cvs in and chatting with small business owners and not being too fussy about the first job have all helped the kids we know, including our own. 

Same - our older kids have both worked within our business and family businesses, but it was more that it helped us out too. Their official " first paid working jobs" have come from approaching businesses and asking

rosie28
16 minutes ago, Karlee99 said:

Same - our older kids have both worked within our business and family businesses, but it was more that it helped us out too. Their official " first paid working jobs" have come from approaching businesses and asking

DH has his own company and so do many of our friends so I can imagine our kids working in some of those businesses as they get older. Always good for them to go out and find their own work too though, it’s a life skill! I’d prefer our kids do the latter if possible but we shall see.

Edited by rosie28

Jenflea

A friend's sons work at the local IGA. 

Dianalynch

At that age I worked at a big w, large department stores are pretty good workplaces. 

littlepickle

My nearly 16 year old has had a really positive experience at a family owned McDonald’s. They tend to give the younger kids (14- finishing school) only 1-2 shifts a week which fits in well with school, sport and weekend social commitments. Bulk of the staff seem to be uni students / early 20’s who have been with them since they started.

all the kids we know at 16 work in fast food... it’s brilliant at teaching a multitude of skills and is often a good foundation for the next job. Not sure why so many parents / teenagers are against the idea

• Like 1

BECZ

At 16, my nephew ran birthday parties at the local aquatic centre.  He now does mainly lifeguard duties at the same centre, but still the occasional party.

My niece (almost 15) applied at a few places about a month ago and was doing training a few days later at Macca’s.  Anybody I knew who worked at Macca’s and the like, enjoyed going to work at that age.

I did lots of babysitting when I was that age.  Mainly for accountants, who were all very social and payed me well.  I very rarely got a weekend off, so didn’t need to look for other part time work.

BECZ

OP, is there a driving range (golf) or similar nearby?

They are always looking for people to collect the balls.  

I reckon your DS will be more than happy to work in fast food after a few shifts there.

TND

One son works at Bunnings.  He also umpires footy.   The other works at KFC.   

Bunnings is fantastic, with a generous pay rate for juniors.   Both boys enjoy going to work.  Most of their friends work but it does take effort to get a job.   The DS working at KFC applied at every big fast food restaurant within 10kms (lots where we live).  Other son applied at heaps of retail and got lucky with Bunnings.     Biggest thing we have found is make yourself very available when applying and then after you get the job let them know unavailability.  

• Like 1

teaspoon

Thanks everyone -  I hadn't thought about stores like JB HiFi (he's a bit of a tech whiz).

I'm going to print this page for him!