OceanTwentyFour

Period Underwear

OceanTwentyFour

DD is 9 and already has some pubic hair and breast buds so from what I’ve read her period is approximately 2 years away. I was thinking period underwear might be good for her and was wondering what brand your tween/teen wears and how effective they are? Do they need to be changed several times a day? Can they be worn while swimming?

Thanks 

Kiwi Bicycle

There are lots of new players in the market, Modibodi, Bonds, Toms Organics, Luna loves etc.

Most hold 2 tampons worth ( some more), so depending on how heavy a flow you could get away wearing for one day, or start with a pad and remove later in the day or change to a second pair midday.

No they cannot be worn while swimming. You need to buy period swimmers or period swimmer bottoms to wear under their usual swimsuit

.Jerry.

DD had Thinx (from the US).  They were expensive, but excellent.  Amazing quality, felt "normal", cleaned easily and were very absorbent and effective.

She grew out of those, now I bought some of the under $20 ones from Woollies.  They feel much "cheaper" and plastic-y, but hopefully they will work should DD need them.

Period undies are a game changer for tweens/teens.  I highly recommend them.

Dianalynch

The bonds ones were on sale recently, I bought a couple to try out myself as dd will be needing some eventually, they’re excellent, very effective, the heavy flow ones really do the job. They wouldn’t need to change at school. So much more dignified for young girls compared to what we went through. 

• Like 2

peachkoala

My DD2 just got her period tonight at age 11. 😮 poor girl was unprepared for it as she has always refused to talk about it. Lots of tears and I am giving her the day off school tomorrow. All this time in lockdown and it decided to arrive day 2 of her return to school!

we have had a big talk. She has asked for period underwear. So I have just ordered a pack of 7 from modibodi in their teen range. She chose the colour so hopefully it will work well. 

if that works well I will get some period swimwear. 

• Sad 2

Murderino

I bought Thinx teen range for my then 9yo DD as she was showing some signs but no period yet at 11yo.  I got myself Thinx at the same time.

I have since got myself Bonds and Tom Organics.

All three brands are good for me but the Tom brand come in one cut and it's very high waisted - what we would have called granny undies or bogger joggers when I was a teen.

Chicken Pie

We have both modibodi and Thinx - DD prefers the feel of Thinx but they both great

i reckon a period is not far off and that makes her feel “safe”

-Belinda-

Bonds were on special when DD got hers (only a year after puberty onset BTW) and prefers the cotton style to Love Luna (satin-like, so polyester?) 

If she sticks with them then I'll order Thinx and ModiBodi with more understanding of what she size/thickness she'll need.

Zeppelina
50 minutes ago, Murderino said:

I bought Thinx teen range for my then 9yo DD as she was showing some signs but no period yet at 11yo.  I got myself Thinx at the same time.

I have since got myself Bonds and Tom Organics.

All three brands are good for me but the Tom brand come in one cut and it's very high waisted - what we would have called granny undies or bogger joggers when I was a teen.

Thanks for the heads up on Tom Organics - I wasn't aware of them, and I actually love high-waisted undies so I've just ordered myself a couple of pairs :lol:

• Like 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne

DD1 likes her Luna Love and the Modibodi period pants over her Thinx period pants. At the moment, she goes through 2 pairs before bedtime on her first day of her period,  then a new pair for bed that night (the modibodi has an overnight/heavy period pant that she uses for then). After that, she wear 2 pants per day. It's taken around 9-12 months for her period to stabalise (so far) - it was reasonably light/short in the beginning. Now it seems like a more "typical period", although still short (4 days). I think she has about 6-7 period pants.

I use the modibodi period pants. I like the high-wasit bikini undies. DD prefers the boyleg, boyshort styles.

Murderino
1 hour ago, Zeppelina said:

Thanks for the heads up on Tom Organics - I wasn't aware of them, and I actually love high-waisted undies so I've just ordered myself a couple of pairs :lol:

I quite like them and am getting another when I shop this week.

• Like 1

barrington

DD1 is 14 and yet to get her period.  But she wears modibodi for discharge and really likes them.

OceanTwentyFour

Thank you for the replies. I have just ordered some from LunaLove for myself to try and will definitely be getting DD some when the time comes. 

Rilee's~Mama

Last night DD asked me to get her "oh about a hundred pairs" of period undies!! I'll grab some from Woolies today for her to try, then order some.

How do you go with washing them? Rinse then in the machine? I don't wash every day, maybe every second day, so I'm guessing enough for maybe 3 days, to give the freshly washed ones a day to dry?

.Jerry.

Big W has heaps of modi bodi styles. 

I just rinse them in cold water then wash. Easy. 
just don’t tumble dry. 

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

Just beware they do take a bit longer to line dry than normal underwear. I find it takes a day and half to dry unless it over 25 degrees and bright sunlight.

• Like 2