EPZ

Have you changed Primary schools?

g_uzica

I wouldn't do it in year 6 if there were no major issues at the current school.  As others have mentioned it's harder to break into friendship groups and there is always the last primary school activities which are more enjoyed with friends you've known.

There will always be new children in year 7 so your not usually the only 1 which is more likely in year 6.

This almost happened to DD for year 6, but the new school had no places and we were wait listed for year 7.  We would have moved DD in year 6, if there was a spot but there were issues with bullying, ongoing teacher and school issues, no firm friendship group.  DD has had a great year 6 in her old school which was only happened because she found a new friendship group otherwise it would have been another blah year for her again.

• Like 1

EPZ

Good points, thank you.

Belaire

I moved in the middle of year 6. I hated my new school - it was really big (my previous school had been quite small) and I found it very very hard to make friends. I went to primary school A for 6 months but my parents bought a house and I was zoned for high school B, so not the one that the primary school I went to fed into. So basically those 6 months there trying to make friends were pointless because I then had to go to the high school across town with almost no one from the same primary school.

It was much easier to make new friends in high school, where quite a few people came from different schools without people they knew. I thought having to start a new school in grade 6 was awful. 

• Like 1

CrankyM

I wouldn't change in yr 6. Like others have said you do all those graduating things and activities etc and have to make new friends, who you can't actually guarantee are going to start high school with. If there are other issues then it might be okay, but I definitively wouldn't change half way through yr 6 (not unless it was something like to a fyos-12). Yr 7, well there will always be kids who don't know anyone starting highschool. I was the ONLY person from my primary school who went to my highschool. Mostly because we moved after I started that primary and changed highschool zones (by literally 20m). It was fine. There were a number of kids who didn't know anyone.

Indi
On 15/10/2020 at 7:23 AM, Gumbette said:

We were going to do the same thing for DS, move him in y5 to a private school.  Thanks Kreme for the heads up.  Will re-think our plans.

This may be more the culture of the school.  Year 5 is a larger intake for a lot of independent schools.  It is a rare term at our P-12 independent where the girls don't come home talking about the new kid who started and everyone wants to hang around with the new kids.

Gumbette

DD had a new boy start in y5 last yr and she ended up losing 2 friends who now want to just sit and watch him play handball every day.  Though I’m not sure if it’s because he’s new or because he’s a pretty good looking kid.  I’m assuming it’s the latter...