EPZ

Have you changed Primary schools?

EPZ

Toying with the idea changing school for year 6 - where secondary will be anyway.  Has anyone done this and did it work out OK?

Reasons are not due to friendship issues or difficulties.  

Lesley225

I have to change schools in 6th class and it was awful - part way through.  I had been a prefect, with people all my school life.

I made no new friends till we all went to high school.

• Like 2

22Fruitmincepies

My brother moved to his future high school a year early, for the last tear of primary school. It was a great move, and he made friends he kept throughout high school. But he was escaping a nasty bully. 

• Like 1

Pooks_

I moved DS because I wasn’t happy with the way his school manager bullying and their low expectations of student achievement, resulting in him getting no attention as he slipped further behind. It was very hard on him emotionally and socially, we both shed a lot of tears, but ultimately it was the right choice, he is in a much more positive and supportive environment and I don’t regret it. 

• Like 4

barrington

We changed DS in grade 4 to the school he would do senior at.  It was a great move and he thrived at the right school environment.

Lesley225

My argument is only against moving in 6th class without a bullying reason etc.

AllyK81

I intend to move DD to her high school (K-12 school where she is doing kinder this year) in Grade 5. DS goes into year 7 that year and I think it is easier to transition before what is generally a larger intake in Y7.

Fluffy Potatoes

Ds1 just started at his 3rd Primary school yesterday. He’s in year 2. 
First school we left at the end of kindergarten due to interstate relocation. 
Second school we left due to bullying and issues with school leadership. We should have moved him at the end of his first term there, it was obvious from the get go it wasn’t the right fit for him. 

Due to the nature of DH’s job we move frequently and he will more than likely have at least 1 more primary school in his future.

dadwasathome

I know quite a few kids who changed school in year 5, to either set up high school places at private schools, or to attend opportunity classes at other primary schools. Most seem to have done quite OK.

I don't know any who switched in year 6.

DS17 switched for an OC place, and many of his class went on to the same high school. He's still friends with them.

• Like 1

Jaffa donuts

We moved interstate so DD had to change schools for year 6. We moved just before the end of the year so she could more or less finish the year with her old cohort, but also get a week at her new school so she didn't have the long summer holidays to stress about it.

It sucked because she had a great group of friends and missed out on the opportunity to run for captain and experience being  a year sixer among a school group she had always belonged to BUT, she instantly made friends, was voted in as class Representative only a few weeks into first term and had a great year. 

However, starting high school this year, even though she went to the local high school so with the majority of her classmates, she has still made friends with new kids from other schools, so I wouldn't say that moving in order to make contacts to go to high school with is necessary. 

All depends on the kid though.

MsLaurie

Many years ago now, but my brother went to a different school for a repeated year six. We had moved house, and given he needed the extra year it was decided that should be local and give him a chance to know some kids close to high school.

He had a rough time initially, but got there by mid-year. One of the kids he met that year was recently his groomsman so obviously that worked out! 

Meepy

I changed primary schools five times due to family moves.   I also had three high school changes.  My sister and I are determined that our kids will go to the same school for primary and the same one for high school.  I have no deep connection to anyone I went to school with.  

• Like 1

Lesley225

Year 7 is a great mix up and chance to find your new place.

Julie3Girls

I changed schools half way through yr6. Hated it. Missed out on doing all the end of primary school stuff with my friends that I’d had all of primary school. Being fairly introverted, I didn’t make friends easily, so I spent year 6 with kids I didn’t really know. Can be hard to break into solid friendship groups in yr 6.  I went along to end of primary school stuff, and basically just felt completely out of place.   Starting high school the next year, the kids I was in primary with, weren’t really friends but i wasn’t “new” either, so kind of weird.

That said, I think it is pretty kid dependent. Some will manage better than other, some kids can walk into a room of strangers at any time, and instantly have friends. Unfortunately , I’m not one of them. I’ve never had much success with friends, either as a kid or an adult, 

Edited by Julie3Girls
  • Like 1

~Jolly_F~

Mine and my kids moves have been because of significant relocations.

I moved a couple of times during primary school - one move was in grade 6 in the last term. Its was ok, cant say I loved or hated it, it was what it was. 

My kids have moved three times and we are about to move again. A couple in high school and one in late primary. One of the moves was at the end of grade 5 for one of them, I think it worked out well. She made herself a great group of friends to move into high school with. 

I have read some people who say that once your kids are at school, you are stuck in the area for their entire school life but I dont buy into that. I am not saying all kids will be ok with moving but I think a large majority will be fine - definitely kid and family dependant.

What does your kid think? Probably worth having a discussion with due to their age. 

• Like 3

Tinky Winky Woo

Yes we have changed schools and it was the best decision.  My biggest regret was not making the change sooner

• Like 1

Chicken Pie
30 minutes ago, Tinky Winky Woo said:

Yes we have changed schools and it was the best decision.  My biggest regret was not making the change sooner

Same

marple

I'm about to move my Year 2 as we are moving area. I hope it will be ok. Fingers crossed

• Like 1

got my tinsel on
2 minutes ago, marple said:

I'm about to move my Year 2 as we are moving area. I hope it will be ok. Fingers crossed

It was a very long time ago, I moved schools at start of year 2 (from Catholic to public due to mum's inability to afford the fees).

I can remember how scared I was but I made wonderful friends immediately and we're still very close friends 53 years later.  I'm so happy that mum made that decision.

• Like 2

MadMarchMasterchef

We may be forced to do this to help get DD into the nearby highschool which is walking distance, instead of one which she will need to catch 2 buses alone at age 11 to attend.   There are other reasons besides the travel issue that the zoned school is very unsuitable.   I dont think DD will want to leave her friends, although she does make friends fairly easily. 

Kreme

Changing primary schools is one thing, changing in year 6 is another. My kids changed in year 3 &2 respectively. It was hard at first but by term 3 they were really enjoying it.

My friend still hasn’t forgiven her mother for moving her to a private school in year 6. She was ostracised by all the girls who’d been there since kindy and didn’t make any friends until the new year 7 cohort arrived. Plus she missed all the rites of passage with her old friends that she’d been looking forward to.

2 of DS’s mates also moved for year 6 after pressure by the Catholic 5-12 school that there might not be a place for them in yr 7. One boy was fine as he’s a popular, sporty kid. The other one basically cried for a year. I wouldn’t do it unless it was absolutely essential. 

• Like 1

Gumbette

We were going to do the same thing for DS, move him in y5 to a private school.  Thanks Kreme for the heads up.  Will re-think our plans.

Edited by Gumbette

SplashingRainbows

I would move for the start of y5. Not for the start of or in y6 though. 

my son started at a new school this year in y4. It’s gone very well. 

Julie3Girls

Start of yr5 is a little different ... that little bit of extra time, and it’s often an intake year for some private schools, so unlikely to be only new kid.

• Like 3

Kreme
2 hours ago, Gumbette said:

We were going to do the same thing for DS, move him in y5 to a private school.  Thank Kreme for the heads up.  Will re-think our plans.

Year 5 is different as it’s an intake year, so the private schools are often bringing in an entire class of kids. Being the odd one out starting in year 6 is much harder. 

• Like 1