chillipeppers

Not getting anywhere 3 weeks later

MadMarchMasterchef

Personally I do lose weight from cardio if I do an hour or so a day, but I wouldnt from 20 minutes.   And even at an hour of fairly intense cardio a day I would only lose about a kilo in 3 weeks.   

But its also worth considering you could be replacing fat with muscle, which is a good thing.  What is your body shape doing? 

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef
1 hour ago, timtam92 said:

Just because you are not seeing a drop on the scales, does not mean you are doing anything wrong. It takes time. Maybe just reduce your portions a bit. 

I don’t agree with any form of diet, calorie counting, using scales etc as you become obsessed and 98% of diets fail. It took time to put the weight on, it will take time to come off.

focus on getting stronger, fitter and feeling good rather than the numbers.

I agree, the benefits of exercise are more than just weight loss. 

11 minutes ago, chicken_bits said:

I've discovered as I've got older, that it's not just about the calories, it's about the type of foods that you eat. And it's different for each person. E.g. For me, I need to eat more protein than carbs otherwise I gain weight. Others can eat carbs and it's not a problem. And I'm not just talking about simple carbs, I'm talking about complex carbs too.

It may be worth trying one thing for a few weeks and if it doesn't work, try something different to see what works for you.

Same!  I posted on another thread Im needing to eat more protein as opposed to carbs to not feel hungry.  I was relating it to lack of sleep but you might be right that there is a connection with getting older! 

winterbabies

Yes milk is a killer... when I went back to work after mat leave and I had a coffee a day that I wouldn’t ordinarily have. It was enough for me to put on a couple of kilos over a year.

I have been working out a lot for the last 8 weeks, 3 weights sessions (45mins and including push-ups, Burpees and other awful heart raising exercises) and at least two cardio sessions a week. No weight loss whatsoever until I started calorie counting. I had no idea - because I am short the amount I can eat in order to lose weight is not much at all. Basically two meals a day and a couple of cups of tea with a tiny amount of milk! Looking back now the amount I was happily eating was FAR too much. If I hadn’t researched and calorie counted I would never have known. 
Building muscle though will increase the calories I burn, and once at target weight I can probably add breakfast back in so long as I keep it up with the exercise! 
I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck. 

edit for spelling 

Edited by winterbabies
Spelling
  • Like 2

Lunagirl
1 hour ago, chillipeppers said:

I think I may be having to much milk. Apart from that it’s 3 meals a day and small portions. Nothing fatty, all cooked at home. Eg. roast chicken with veges

Not all vegies are created equally either. A meal of roast chicken, potatoes, pumpkin and carrots is going to give you more carbs than chicken with broccoli, cauliflower and beans. 

And please don't say you're doing it wrong. You've started an exercise program and have kept it up for three weeks. That's great! Anecdotally, that's how long it takes to form a new habit, so you're well on your way. Think of what you're going through now as a data gathering stage. You're figuring out what works and what doesn't and can make adjustments based on that. 

• Like 4

purpleblaze

If you're on insta have a look at danprice_fitness - really good solid nutrition and workout advice without overcomplicating it.  One of my favourite posts of his is "You're not losing weight because you're inconsistent with your calorie intake throughout the week and averaging at calorie maintenance".

As pp's have said count your calories for a week and total it up, it's an eye opener.  Know what your target should be (I was amazed when I redid mine).  Getting this right is where you get the best bang for buck.

In terms of exercise it's hard to know how much you're doing in terms of frequency, but at first glance it's ok but intensity plays a big role too.  20 min walking on the treadmill is different to a 20 min HIIT class.  

I reckon get your food sorted and the exercise will be a bonus.

timtam92
1 hour ago, chillipeppers said:

Hmm ok.. I’ll start calorie counting to see if I need to modify food intake. I hate doing this but it must be where I am going wrong.

I don’t think you need to. It’s clearly going to make you feel worse.

chillipeppers
17 minutes ago, timtam92 said:

I don’t think you need to. It’s clearly going to make you feel worse.

It may make me feel worse but I want to get it right, I’m determined to lose this excess weight which is making me feel much worse.

22Fruitmincepies

A friend did the Michelle Bridges program, without the exercise, and lost heaps of weight. The program wasn’t important, it was that she retrained herself as to portion sizes. She thought her portions were fine, but she was eating way too much. 

• Like 1

chillipeppers

My husband thinks I’m eating too much. He said my portion sizes are too big. I’m getting the scales out tomorrow.

• Like 1

timtam92
6 minutes ago, chillipeppers said:

It may make me feel worse but I want to get it right, I’m determined to lose this excess weight which is making me feel much worse.

But you can without feeling bad in the process.

diets and calorie counting cause so much damage and most likely you will end up putting the weight back on and more.  Just take your time and it’s more likely to work. If calorie counting worked, why does everyone give up and go the opposite. 

timtam92
1 minute ago, chillipeppers said:

My husband thinks I’m eating too much. He said my portion sizes are too big. I’m getting the scales out tomorrow.

Or use a smaller plate - trucks your brain into thinking you are eating more.

NeedSleepNow
3 minutes ago, chillipeppers said:

Hopefully weighing everything for a couple of days helps give you some clarity! I found the Michelle Bridges program really useful in terms of giving an indication about portion sizes, and it helped me lose weight after baby 1! 
But, after DD2 (baby 3), I couldn’t lose weight no matter what I did. I tried everything over a 12-month period including 16/8, fast 800, F45 challenge, 5/2, virtual starvation diets, excessive exercise. Literally, everything. I read about a poster on here who experienced similar and tried Metformin (for insulin resistance). I asked my GP for it and it helped enormously. I’m not saying that’s your issue, BUT, if it turns out you are eating right and exercising regularly, yet still can’t lose weight, I’d really recommend looking into it further. Gees I wish I’d done it sooner 

• Like 1

chillipeppers
2 minutes ago, NeedSleepNow said:

Metformin

My sister is using this for weight loss and because she is pre diabetic. I will talk to my doctor, if all else fails.

Mae55

I’m only short so it’s easy for the kilos to creep on. I don’t usually snack a lot but my problem is portion sizes. I just ate risotto and ate nearly as much as my husband who does 2 hours+ of training a day. When I’m playing sport, going to the gym and doing an on my feet job I can get away with that and it just makes my stable weight a bit higher than I’d prefer. To drop to my preferred healthy weight I need to reduce portion sizes - it takes a while and then I adjust. 

I have not been exercising and working from home and I’ve put on much more weight. A week or two of logging what I eat just reminds me to pay attention to what I eat and serving sizes. 

You are not doing anything wrong, it’s just our perceptions of portion sizes get skewed over time and we eat more calorie dense food in larger portion sizes than we need for our metabolism and amount of activity. 

FeralRebelWClaws
53 minutes ago, NeedSleepNow said:

Hopefully weighing everything for a couple of days helps give you some clarity! I found the Michelle Bridges program really useful in terms of giving an indication about portion sizes, and it helped me lose weight after baby 1! 
But, after DD2 (baby 3), I couldn’t lose weight no matter what I did. I tried everything over a 12-month period including 16/8, fast 800, F45 challenge, 5/2, virtual starvation diets, excessive exercise. Literally, everything. I read about a poster on here who experienced similar and tried Metformin (for insulin resistance). I asked my GP for it and it helped enormously. I’m not saying that’s your issue, BUT, if it turns out you are eating right and exercising regularly, yet still can’t lose weight, I’d really recommend looking into it further. Gees I wish I’d done it sooner 

ohhh you've just made me twig and wonder if that is my issue. The only time in my adult life that I've managed to lose weight, regardless of what I ate, was when I was pregnant and gestational diabetic and was on metformin and insulin. I thought it was the hormones, but maybe it's because I was on Metformin? I literally just keep putting more and more weight on. I ate the same as my size 8 step daughter, or size 12 mother. Actually I eat much better because I eat less carbs and crap and more leafy greens than them! I considered weight loss surgery, but it doesn't seem worth it when I don't seem to be eating that much?

NeedSleepNow
19 minutes ago, FeralRebelWClaws said:

ohhh you've just made me twig and wonder if that is my issue. The only time in my adult life that I've managed to lose weight, regardless of what I ate, was when I was pregnant and gestational diabetic and was on metformin and insulin. I thought it was the hormones, but maybe it's because I was on Metformin? I literally just keep putting more and more weight on. I ate the same as my size 8 step daughter, or size 12 mother. Actually I eat much better because I eat less carbs and crap and more leafy greens than them! I considered weight loss surgery, but it doesn't seem worth it when I don't seem to be eating that much?

It could definitely be worth giving it a try! I actually didn’t lose any weight for the first 4-months I was on it (which is apparently common) BUT I stopped gaining weight every time I walked into the kitchen, and after a few months my weight started coming down naturally. I was still eating well, but very normally. No more intermittent fasting or keto, or any other diet plan. I ended up losing approximately 15kg in 13 months on it, with no effort. I came off it to fall pregnant and have gained about 4kg back, but now I’ve lost the pregnancy I’ll go back on it, as we won’t be ttc again. I think insulin resistance is a very common reason people can’t lose weight, and keto etc just isn’t enough for everyone!

lozoodle

Its so frustrating, you just need to make sure you're in a calorie deficit. All the exercise in the world wont help if you're eating more / same as what you are burning. I would recommend going onto a website and working out your BMR and then finding what your goal should be to be in a deficit and then try something like my fitness pal which is free. It'll help a lot :)

You don't have to calorie count long term if its not for you, but it sort of helps get your head around it all so you can eat a bit more intuitively later. 

Its so frustrating I know. I exercise sooo much but I'm just going up up up at the moment because my eating isn't in line. 

• Like 3

unicycle
2 hours ago, chillipeppers said:

I have been eating my meals from a bread and butter plate for years. It helps keep the portions right for me. Now I am menopausal I only eat two meals a day most days. 

Redchick2
9 hours ago, Dianalynch said:

Same here....I can only eat 6000 kilojoules a day if I want to lose weight, sadly it’s not a lot of food, and it needs to include the soy milk in my many cups of tea (which I will not give up...) 

I’ve always hated the thought of kJ counting but I started it a month or so ago and it has really helped me think about what I am eating. 

I am on 6000kj too and kJ counting has helped me work out food substitutes (eg salad rather than sandwich) so that I still feel I am having a decent amount of food. I have reduced the size of my brekky and that has cut out a lot of kJ without making me too hungry. That said I don’t count the splash of full fat milk I put in my many cups of tea but I would count a latte because it is pretty much all milk. 

• Like 1