chillipeppers

Not getting anywhere 3 weeks later

chillipeppers

I have been going to the gym for 3 weeks now and I have been doing 20 minutes of cardio and 10 minutes of weights. I am watching what I eat but I have not lost even 1 kilo. 

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I am 160cm, I weigh 89kgs and most of my fat is around my back and belly.

help please!!

unicycle

That sounds very frustrating. Could it be that you are doing enough to stop gaining weight, but not quite enough to actually lose weight?

I need 80 minutes of cardio ( brisk walking) each day to successfully maintain weight. 

Edited by unicycle
  • Like 1

Dianalynch

I only lose weight when I count the kilojoules of what I eat, including measuring / weighing the food to ensure accuracy. I am always surprised by how far my portion sizes have crept up. Could be worth trying for a while? 

exercise while very good for us in so many ways is not that effective as a weight loss strategy. 

• Like 3

chillipeppers
12 minutes ago, unicycle said:

That sounds very frustrating. Could it be that you are doing enough to stop gaining weight, but not quite enough to actually lose weight?

I need 80 minutes of cardio ( brisk walking) each day to successfully maintain weight. 

Should I increase cardio times?

chillipeppers
9 minutes ago, Dianalynch said:

I only lose weight when I count the kilojoules of what I eat, including measuring / weighing the food to ensure accuracy. I am always surprised by how far my portion sizes have crept up. Could be worth trying for a while? 

exercise while very good for us in so many ways is not that effective as a weight loss strategy. 

I’m trying to avoid calorie counting because I don’t think it’s something I can continue to do long term but I think I may need to because I’m not getting anywhere

~Jolly_F~

What are you doing food wise? 

Most of it is all about what you eat. 

• Like 3

unicycle

I don't know? It is easier to lose weight by eating less and increasing cardio times might make you hungrier. For the long-term, increased muscle mass means you can eat more food. I know for me, that I need to keep up my muscles, eat small portions and exercise a lot. 

Winter frost

Alas weight is 80% diet.

Exercise is helpful but you also need to keep in mind muscle weighs more than fat. So if you had burnt off fat it may have converted to muscle. Rather than focus on weight a better test is to see if your waist or hips have shrunk at all. Are your undies any looser? 

• Like 2

timtam92

Just because you are not seeing a drop on the scales, does not mean you are doing anything wrong. It takes time. Maybe just reduce your portions a bit. 

I don’t agree with any form of diet, calorie counting, using scales etc as you become obsessed and 98% of diets fail. It took time to put the weight on, it will take time to come off.

focus on getting stronger, fitter and feeling good rather than the numbers.

• Like 4

rosie28

I’d look at your diet- they do say it’s impossible to out train a less than ideal diet. 20 minutes of cardio is a fairly light load though it depends on what you’re doing, but it’s less than the generally recommended 30 minutes of moderate activity per day. I burn around 200 calories in 20 minutes, which is roughly 3/4 of a cheese sandwich, for reference. No need to get obsessed about counting calories, but it’s worth knowing the impact of your exercise. A kilo of fat is 7,700 calories from memory. I don’t like any “diets” but adhere to a general “don’t eat too much crap” plan.

Edited by rosie28

born.a.girl
Just now, chillipeppers said:

I’m trying to avoid calorie counting because I don’t think it’s something I can continue to do long term but I think I may need to because I’m not getting anywhere

You don't necessarily need to do it long term, but you do need to do it for a day or two, honestly, to find out exactly how many calories you're eating.

It may be as simple as that, or it may not be, it's just one avenue, but not one you can skip if you want to understand the whole shebang.

I can eat more when I do cardio, but if I had a dollar for the times I've read about people saying 'I couldn't exercise so of course I put on weight', means that you can only eat as much as your body's burning.  In modern society we've long since lost the ability to eat to need - it's far more based around social stuff.  

Cardio is fabulous for a thousand reasons, but if you're in Melbourne at the moment, give yourself a break and remind yourself we'll get back to normal at some point.

• Like 3

~Jolly_F~
11 minutes ago, chillipeppers said:

You don’t have to do it long term, just a couple of weeks to see what you are consuming... it’s always shocks the crap out of me the amount of calories I can consume even when I think I am making “good choices”. 

• Like 6

chillipeppers

Hmm ok.. I’ll start calorie counting to see if I need to modify food intake. I hate doing this but it must be where I am going wrong.

• Like 1

born.a.girl
2 minutes ago, ~Jolly_F~ said:

You don’t have to do it long term, just a couple of weeks to see what you are consuming... it’s always shocks the crap out of me the amount of calories I can consume even when I think I am making “good choices”. 

Same, and it;s so damned easy now. My weight was mostly o.k., but when I gave up smoking in the 80s I decided to allow myself to put on a stone (no idea in kilos), then deal with it, at which point I'd hopefully lost the worst of the cig cravings.

We had to buy books and rely on stuff in magazines ('One serving of lasagne = ???). Seriously? 

I discover by counting calories that there are things I'm not prepared to forego: my three very large mugs of white tea in the morning. 

And things I am: chips, roast potatoes, much as I love them, I can have a tiny amount.

The next person would do the opposite.

• Like 1

born.a.girl
1 minute ago, chillipeppers said:

Hmm ok.. I’ll start calorie counting to see if I need to modify food intake. I hate doing this but it must be where I am going wrong.

You might not be.

It's just to see if there are things in there that have a surprising amount of calories. 

Oil for example. Far less than one cup is my total calorie burning for a day. (Age has a lot to answer for.)

I mentioned this to someone who wanted to lose fat and she said 'but it's so healthy ...' .  You can easily eat double your calorie burning in healthy food in a day.

• Like 2

chillipeppers
29 minutes ago, ~Jolly_F~ said:

What are you doing food wise? 

Most of it is all about what you eat. 

I think I may be having to much milk. Apart from that it’s 3 meals a day and small portions. Nothing fatty, all cooked at home. Eg. roast chicken with veges

chillipeppers
40 minutes ago, rosie28 said:

20 minutes of cardio is a fairly light load though

Yep I was thinking this also. I’ll aim for 30 minutes tomorrow and see how I go.

• Like 1

Dianalynch
58 minutes ago, chillipeppers said:

I know what you mean...I generally only do the weighing/measuring for a week to get portions back under control, but I do roughly count kilojoules every day, otherwise I find it very easy to fool myself that what I’m eating is okay. Good luck with it all, it’s difficult 

• Like 1

born.a.girl
30 minutes ago, chillipeppers said:

I think I may be having to much milk. Apart from that it’s 3 meals a day and small portions. Nothing fatty, all cooked at home. Eg. roast chicken with veges

If I ate three meals a day I'd put on weight.

Most of us live such sedentary lives that the 'average woman 2000 calories' is absolutely irrelevant to us. 

How are you having your milk?

• Like 1

born.a.girl
2 minutes ago, Dianalynch said:

I know what you mean...I generally only do the weighing/measuring for a week to get portions back under control, but I do roughly count kilojoules every day, otherwise I find it very easy to fool myself that what I’m eating is okay. Good luck with it all, it’s difficult 

Or 'I'll take it out of tomorrow' and before you know it you're up to next week. 🤣

Although I didn't find the food great, I did find getting deliveries from one of those places that do calorie count stuff useful.  It taught me that I'm good at cheating.  It might not have been that much, but it was enough that I wasn't in deficit.

• Like 1

Dianalynch
4 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

Or 'I'll take it out of tomorrow' and before you know it you're up to next week. 🤣

Although I didn't find the food great, I did find getting deliveries from one of those places that do calorie count stuff useful.  It taught me that I'm good at cheating.  It might not have been that much, but it was enough that I wasn't in deficit.

Same here....I can only eat 6000 kilojoules a day if I want to lose weight, sadly it’s not a lot of food, and it needs to include the soy milk in my many cups of tea (which I will not give up...) 

• Like 1

chillipeppers
11 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

How are you having your milk?

I have it with coffee. Skim milk flat white. I have 3 a day and I know it’s way too much. I’m starting to think I don’t move around enough for the 3 meals a day. Oh gosh I need to rethink what I am doing.

chicken_bits

I've discovered as I've got older, that it's not just about the calories, it's about the type of foods that you eat. And it's different for each person. E.g. For me, I need to eat more protein than carbs otherwise I gain weight. Others can eat carbs and it's not a problem. And I'm not just talking about simple carbs, I'm talking about complex carbs too.

It may be worth trying one thing for a few weeks and if it doesn't work, try something different to see what works for you.

• Like 3

born.a.girl
Just now, chillipeppers said:

I have it with coffee. Skim milk flat white. I have 3 a day and I know it’s way too much. I’m starting to think I don’t move around enough for the 3 meals a day. Oh gosh I need to rethink what I am doing.

That's a lot less than me, but the three 400ml mugs of white tea that I have, PLUS the latte, and really important parts of my day.

(Side note, I wake more dehydrated than most people, I can often pee more than a litre in the morning.)

This is where the calorie counting is invaluable.  I vaguely allow about 200 calories a day for the milk in my tea, and i ain't giving that up for anybody.  If it's that or chips, I'll take the tea.

When you do the calorie counting you can look at it and decide which bits are most important to YOU.  Then work on the rest.

(Absolutely acknowledging that calorie counting has significant drawbacks, but it's good to see exactly how many you're consuming.)

• Like 2

ckmelb

If you don't want to calorie count, you can try just avoiding processed things and only having small portions of good quality dairy and carbs. The simplest way to do it might be to say  - instead of 3 coffees with milk I will have 1 with milk. And instead of my normal serve of white rice, I'll take half the amount of brown rice.

If everything else is as you say - home cooked meat & veg style, reducing the dairy and carbs might be enough (and substituting with better quality)