seayork2002

Cairns area or Darwin (after covid)

seayork2002

No we are not booking yet but starting to talk about the fact we are 99% not going to be able to go to UK in 2021 due to covid, we are thinking either Cairns/Port Douglas for 10 days or Darwin (doing a Kakadu day trip)

It will have to be on one of the school holidays (NSW public) and even though it is just the 3 of us we would like accommodation that is more than a normal hotel room but not 5 star either

Is anyone bored enough to plan our trip for me (well not the exact whole thing lol!)

Tiara15

If you pick Cairns then I highly recommend you stay at Palm Cove, rent a car while you are there and do day trips to Atherton tablelands and Port Douglas. There is so much to do if you base yourself in Cairns.

Here's a link to plan your itinerary on the QLD tourism website: https://www.queensland.com/au/en/plan-your-holiday/itineraries.html

• Like 2

PocketIcikleflakes

I'd go back to Darwin in a shot. There's plenty to do in the city and so many trips to take further afield.

I can't remember where we stayed but I think you're looking for something fancier than that anyway.

We were there for about ten days and I'd happily have stayed for an extra week.

We were there in January so were limited on who we could book trips with, a lot was closed, so I can't really recommend companies. All I can say is that I loved it there.

UndergroundKelpie

I went to Cairns in August for 3 weeks solo this year. I'm from SA. I had a blast. There was lots of Aussies doing all the activities like Scuba Diving. Plus everything was heavily discounted. I stayed at a backpackers and had the whole dorm to myself. The only other people there were residents. I would definitely go back.

• Like 1

Let-it-go

We’ve done both in the last 12 months.  Loved loved both, if I had to choose, maybe Darwin but only because of the July weather!  Both fabulous though.

Darwin - I’d go an apartment down by the marina, we had an apartment just up the hill which was brilliant (and cheaper than the above) but we walked down to the marina a lot.  On our final night we stayed in Hilton on the other side of CBD and I wouldn’t choose to stay in that location again.

Our Darwin highlight was 2 days in Litchfield. This is such a beautiful place and I could have spent days here, walking, swimming and just exploring the beautiful spots.  We stayed in a caravan park just outside the park and drove in.  Don’t just dismiss Litchfield in a day, you’ll only see the super crowded spots, add an extra day or 2 and you can enjoy it so much more and find spots on your own.  Loved the food in Darwin and our sunset cruise on a catamaran was a highlight.  I went to Kakadu many years ago and it was amazing.  I can’t really imagine doing Kakadu in a day but I’m a person that will always choose the National Park over the city so I’d spend at least 2 and stay a night, loop back up through Litchfield.  

Cairns - we did 4 days in Palm Cove and 4 days exploring the Daintree.  The 4 days in the Daintree was a day longer than you really need but gosh it’s an amazing place.  Definitely set aside 2 days to drive to Cape Tribulation and back with an overnight in Cape Trib.  You’ll pretty much see and do everything there is to do, the reef trip from Cape Trib is the best reef trip you’ll ever do in Oz, it was an amazing morning.  The crocodile tours on the river are worthwhile.  Set aside time to walk the beaches especially Cow Bay.

We thought Port Douglas was a bit of a dump tbh and couldn’t understand the fuss.  Sadly we didn’t get to do the main attractions like the sky rail and Mossman Gorge as it was post Covid and they weren’t open yet.  I wasn’t fussed about the sky rail and hate markets so that whole trip wasn’t a big deal to me but I was gutted to miss Mosman Gorge.  We loved Palm Cove, so relaxing, easy, I did yoga on the foreshore most mornings, kids hung at our resort pool, we ate beautiful seafood....all that stuff.  It was lovely wind down after stressful months but 4 days was enough.

I hope that’s helpful.  For context, we are obviously very outdoorsy so loved both of these locations for that.  Both were July, Darwin wins for weather, beautiful and hot but Cairns was a bit chilly and windy so I didn’t soak up the sun as much as I’d hoped.  So maybe Darwin wins by a nose 😂.

Both expensive and busy at peak season.  Cairns area was a total bargain as it was early post Covid but I don’t see those prices happening again!  You definitely have to book in advance, accommodation in both Daintree and Litchfield was quite limited.

Hope that helps!!

Edited by Let-it-go
  • Like 1

rosie28

I love both, though Palm Cove or Port Douglas rather than Cairns. We stayed at Sanctuary Palm Cove last time and found it much better than Peppers. Perfect huge apartment.

• Like 1

Tiger Print

I'd recommend more than a day in Kakadu, it's huge and beautiful.  Darwin is busy at the moment with many holiday makers - it's a lovely vibe.

• Like 2

Let-it-go
2 minutes ago, Tiger Print said:

I'd recommend more than a day in Kakadu, it's huge and beautiful.  Darwin is busy at the moment with many holiday makers - it's a lovely vibe.

I just amended my post to say the same thing!  

• Like 1

Meepy

If you want to do a croc cruise, they are much better in Kakadu or Adelaide River than the Daintree river.

• Like 1

lozoodle

Port Douglas! Honestly my favourite place in the whole world and I would give anything to spend all my days there ❤️

• Like 1

Let-it-go
9 hours ago, Meepy said:

If you want to do a croc cruise, they are much better in Kakadu or Adelaide River than the Daintree river.

We saw more crocs on Daintree River but the Kakadu one was way more beautiful and more interesting scenery.  I did a sunrise bird watching boat trip on Daintree River and that was just beautiful, there was all this mist over the river and we went further upstream and into side creeks which was more interesting than where the main 1hr croc tours go.

Romeo Void

Stop it you guys, this all sounds too tempting LOL!!

Let-it-go

TBH OP, there is no wrong answer in these 2 choices.  Both are fabulous.  Plan to do the other one the following year.  I’d go back to both in a heartbeat especially Darwin and we keep saying that in a perfect world we’d rent an apartment on the marina for the a month in July/August every year to escape winter.

• Like 2

Redchick2

Another one chiming in to say definitely more than a day trip to Kakadu. And while you are in the NT, Nitmiluk (Katherine) Gorge is incredible but will require an overnight trip.