Sign in to follow this  
EmmaFY

Freaking out about second birth/baby.

EmmaFY

I'm currently 37 weeks pregnant with my second baby and the last couple of days I've just been freaking out. Been totally fine up until now. My first birth experience was smooth, recovery went well, no PPD or anything. DS was a relatively easy baby. But now, I'm just feeling so nervous about the entire thing: Labour, delivery, recovery, having a newborn, dividing my time between two kids, adjusting to a family of 4.... not to mention adding covid on top of it all. It's just like the end of the pregnancy has snuck up on me and I feel totally mentally unprepared for what's about to happen.

Is this normal?! My nervousness is making me feel even more nervous as I keep thinking of going into hospital and not being able to focus properly.

Redchick2

I only had one pregnancy so no personal experience to draw on but I couldn’t read your post without replying. 
being nervous about a big change in your life sounds absolutely normal to me! I also think so many of us have been getting through the year the best that we can but then there is something (that can be obviously big or seemingly small) that is like the last straw. And never underestimate the power of pregnancy hormones! 

I always wondered if a second pregnancy was easier and harder - there is perhaps less of the unknown but you also know how hard it can be (and I think our brains to an extent remember these bits a bit more when we are under stress). 

can you have a chat to your midwife/dr about your  feelings? There could be extra support you need now or after birth? Have you told your partner how you are feeling? 

there are people who can help and things you can do - you’ve got this :bighug:

• Like 2

onetrick

I was the same! I now have a 2.5yo (A) and a 6mo (P) and during the last month or so of pregnancy I started to get really worried about having 2 kids, and my poor DS not being an only child....

I shouldnt have worried. I mean, it's not easy all of the time (feeding at the start was hard, as A would be absolutely amazing until I started feeding P, then do the most rediculous things to get attention!) or perfect, but my boys are infatuated with each other. 

This morning, we had no motivation to get up. I was feeding P and A calls out from his room that he was awake... so in what was not one of out finest moments, DH and I yelled back that he should join us for cuddles. A comes running in to our room demanding cuddles... from P. No one else. 

One thing that we try to do (bloody hard to always remember!!) is to phrase things so that they benefit A... like 'A, you are being noisy. Remember, if you wake up P we cant play with you anymore' rather than 'dont wake up P'.

Covid lockdowns/ closed playgrounds coincided with Ps birth so that was a whole other thing to deal with! Hopefully you wont have to worry about that side of things at least (but you had a covid pregnancy, which I avoided- theres no good scenario here!).

And we have a group on another SM site for mums with newborns during covid... so come and join us there if you want xx

• Like 2

Daffy2016

I’m 32 weeks and I’ve been freaking out since I got two lines on a stick 😂

I’m an only child and I have no idea how to handle two, especially as DD is being very three at the moment. This pregnancy has been a lot harder mentally for me, and I’ve had no help from midwives or my GP, who tell me it’s normal to be tired and down because I’m working full time with a toddler. So I’m just battling through and hoping it will be okay when the baby is here.

I’m planning to focus a lot on self care during my mat leave before birth though!

• Like 2