The new me

Travel exception- need to travel

The new me

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone here has needed to leave the country and how you went?

DHs mum has been diagnosed with terminal cancer.  She lives in CAnada.

i applied for a travel exemption yesterday but was declined until we can get a letter from her dr with a prognosis, they are in the early stages of figuring that out but we are told she does not have long.

looking at flights emerites is flying but I worry about getting caught out on a connection

air canada only has seats in a few weeks time and they are business class

going through the US feels dangerous 

just don't know what the right thing to do is 

thanks

rosie28

I haven’t personally applied, but it has been discussed in a group I’m in (for lawyers). The consensus seems to be most applications are being rejected, and the ones that are getting through come with a lot of supporting evidence- so the letter from her doctor will be vital, and it will need to be fairly detailed. Where possible only one person should apply (so just your husband, not a whole family group), people seem to be having more success that way, though of course it means a family could be separated for months. 

If possible it might be worth engaging a lawyer to help you, several are doing this kind of work and it would take the pressure off. It’s inexpensive.

I’m so sorry you’re in this position, it must be awful. 

Kreme
Posted (edited)

I’m so sorry to hear about your MIL, beyond difficult in these circumstances. 

I haven’t experienced this personally but an acquaintance has. I would get the travel exemption sorted out first before you buy flights. Things may have changed but with the person I know only the child of the unwell parent was allowed to travel,  their partner and children were not granted an exemption. This was the compromise position after multiple applications for the family were denied. You need to be very persistent and provide a lot of paperwork. 

Good luck and best wishes. 

ETA: apparently the application carries more weight if the child applying for exemption is the only child of the parent or the only one able to provide care and support. So if that is the case definitely include it in the application. 

Edited by Kreme

Prancer is coming

The only advice I would give is be aware that the situation may change rapidly and if you do make it out of Australia, there may be hassles getting back in.

I think it is a really hard situation to be in.  And I think it helps to be clear on why you are going.  Are you going to provide care, Sort out affairs, spend some time as a family or it is death likely and you want to be there at this time?  I think it is only natural to want to be with family at this time and it sucks that it is so hard.  But factoring in potential quarantine at both ends, difficulty getting flights and changing rules, and it may well be impossible to be there in the way you want to.

• Like 2

rosie28
4 minutes ago, Prancer is coming said:

The only advice I would give is be aware that the situation may change rapidly and if you do make it out of Australia, there may be hassles getting back in.

I think it is a really hard situation to be in.  And I think it helps to be clear on why you are going.  Are you going to provide care, Sort out affairs, spend some time as a family or it is death likely and you want to be there at this time?  I think it is only natural to want to be with family at this time and it sucks that it is so hard.  But factoring in potential quarantine at both ends, difficulty getting flights and changing rules, and it may well be impossible to be there in the way you want to.

I agree with all of this, you need to be prepared for him to be stuck in Canada if he gets there. Some people have been trying to get home for months and he would likely not be a priority case coming home. It’s forcing people into impossible situations. 

seayork2002

Your husband may be able to get an exemption but not sure you would?, I have heard it is very difficult to get (sorry if there is more to I am just going from what I have heard)

So yes a solicitor may be a good idea

born.a.girl

This article may be helpful.  It seems that people expecting to return soon are being knocked back at a far higher rate than those going for longer.  Makes sense, given they know people simply can't get back, but that will be resolved at some point.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/revealed-the-secret-to-beating-the-government-s-overseas-travel-ban-20200925-p55zfh.html

The new me

Thank you for your replies.

only DH will be going, I am not a Canadian citizen and would not be allowed in without a permit, also given that it is most likely to need business class tickets (just to get a seat) we could not afford that.

interesting about the return date being further out helping applications, something to think about.  I plan to engage our local poli once we have the letter from her Dr.

he is just going to spend quality time, she is in good care and has her affairs in order

DHs dad died of a sudden heart attack years ago and so he didn't get to say good bye, doesn't want to miss out this time

born.a.girl

Depending on where you are here, and where you want to be in Canada, check out Philippine airlines.  We went with them from Melbourne to Toronto, then returned from Vancouver.

Obviously everything is in another world now, but from appearances it looks as though they're still flying. 

Again, another world, but we went with them because their BC airfares were 2/3 of that of canada Air. 

~Jolly_F~

Your supporting documentation is the key... 

My close relative is coming and going. He is on an 8 and 6 roster. He had supporting documentation from his employer.

The only major issue returning to Australia is getting in due to the arrival limits. 

MsLaurie

Completely different but my friend got an exemption to travel to the UK for a job.

She was strongly advised to go with Emirates or Etihad as they were more reliable about actually leaving on schedule, not randomly cancelling.

• Like 1

blimkybill
1 hour ago, The new me said:

Thank you for your replies.

only DH will be going, I am not a Canadian citizen and would not be allowed in without a permit, also given that it is most likely to need business class tickets (just to get a seat) we could not afford that.

interesting about the return date being further out helping applications, something to think about.  I plan to engage our local poli once we have the letter from her Dr.

he is just going to spend quality time, she is in good care and has her affairs in order

DHs dad died of a sudden heart attack years ago and so he didn't get to say good bye, doesn't want to miss out this time

My SonIL recently went to the US. He didn't need an exemption (had a long term visa) but I thought it was interesting that his flight was very reasonably priced, it ran as scheduled, and the flight was not very full so as pleasant an experience as you could hope for. He flew with JAL via Tokyo. (Of course we have no idea when he may be able to come back but that's another story). 

• Like 1

José

How did things work out OP?

José
On 08/10/2020 at 2:19 PM, rosie28 said:

I haven’t personally applied, but it has been discussed in a group I’m in (for lawyers). The consensus seems to be most applications are being rejected, and the ones that are getting through come with a lot of supporting evidence- so the letter from her doctor will be vital, and it will need to be fairly detailed. Where possible only one person should apply (so just your husband, not a whole family group), people seem to be having more success that way, though of course it means a family could be separated for months. 

If possible it might be worth engaging a lawyer to help you, several are doing this kind of work and it would take the pressure off. It’s inexpensive.

I’m so sorry you’re in this position, it must be awful. 

How would one find a lawyer who can do this work and what do you mean by inexpensive?

• Like 1

overlytired

Given that Air Canada has limited flights to Australia ATM, I would definitely look at another carrier and maybe flying via the US or somewhere in Asia with a direct flight. Depending where in Canada he needs to go, be aware that domestic routes have also been cut drastically (e.g. WestJet has stopped flying to many locations in the Atlantic provinces). Also, since Maritimes have their own bubble,  I'd recommend that being his first port of entry into the country if that's his final destination (otherwise he may have additional days in quarantine).

I'm sorry you're going through this right now, and I hope he gets a chance to spend time with her.

José
4 minutes ago, overlytired said:

Given that Air Canada has limited flights to Australia ATM, 

is air Canada flying to Australia at all at the moment? I thought they weren't. 

overlytired
48 minutes ago, José said:

is air Canada flying to Australia at all at the moment? I thought they weren't. 

Right. For some reason I thought it was limited but you're correct; they're not. Sorry about that.

dadwasathome
1 hour ago, overlytired said:

Right. For some reason I thought it was limited but you're correct; they're not. Sorry about that.

Cargo flights only, every second day into Sydney from Vancouver.

The new me

Hey everyone 

got the drs letter just yesterday so now have to submit it again for exemption. We have been discussing how long he would potentially be gone for etc.

spoke with DHs cousin who works in health care and said the US is so dangerous right now they would not recommend going that route.

air Canada is not flying ATM from Australia.

can fly via Middle East but need a negative covid test prior to departure and worried about connecting flights etc 

will let you all know how we go in the next week

thx 

• Like 1

overlytired

FWIW, I think transiting through the US shouldn't pose any more of a risk than transiting through elsewhere, and I would look for the most direct route to limit exposure.

The new me

Well we go to the exemption 

looking at flights now most likely will go emirates economy on way over, first class return (able to book that seat now) $10K flight cost

gotta have a negative covid test 96hrs before travel (technically not on líst of required countries for transit but if something happens and connection missed then need to enter Dubai so getting it done anyway)

omg so much to organise 

• Like 3

José
14 minutes ago, The new me said:

Well we go to the exemption 

looking at flights now most likely will go emirates economy on way over, first class return (able to book that seat now) $10K flight cost

gotta have a negative covid test 96hrs before travel (technically not on líst of required countries for transit but if something happens and connection missed then need to enter Dubai so getting it done anyway)

omg so much to organise 

Oh wow! That's great.

And then it's 2 weeks quarantine in Canada on arrival? 

BusbyWilkes

Good luck to your DH. Is Cathay Pacific flying to Australia at the moment? That’s who we flew with last year to Canada - was the cheapest at a very expensive time to fly (though not as expensive as now obviously).

The new me

Yes 2 week quarantine in canada

can be at his sisters house, separate basement apartment which is great

overlytired

OP, FWIW, if your DH is heading to Alberta the I would try to fly into Calgary (YYC), where they are now trialing a program that will allow you to bypass quarantine (although a follow-up is needed). So while the program is by invitation only, I would encourage your DH to identify himself as coming into the country to visit a dying relative and ask if he can participate.

https://www.alberta.ca/international-border-pilot-project.aspx

Edited by overlytired
  • Like 2