Ernegirl

QAnon - the other Pandemic

Ernegirl

Speaking for myself, I've seen some of my family and friends slide into conspiracy quagmires this year. 

This feature is a great insight into the rise of online conspiracy theories against the backdrop of Covid and unstable democracies.  A virtual chinese whispers of nonsense and hate.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/07/tech/qanon-europe-cult-intl/index.html

It also helps explain the willful blindness of people being led by dictators and would-be dictators.

"Trump is idolized as the savior, more or less, who is leading the battle against the deep state."

• Like 8

JustMyGirl

Thank you for linking this article. Someone in my family has been drawn into this and it hurts so much to see someone you love be sucked into this vortex. I now fear talking to him because the conversation steers towards this craziness every time. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ernegirl

Gosh, I'm sorry you're in the same boat,  Justmygirl.  So far, my SIL, brother, several friends have fallen down the rabbit hole. It's hard particularly with my brother, because he's (up to now) a very intelligent and sensible person.  Plus his denial, and the choices he makes because of that, impacts on others including our mother. With my SIL, she's literally contained interstate by border closures so my in laws are  safer. 

It's different to the blasé attitudes about social distancing and hygiene I see a lot amongst people that accept the reality of covid. It's literally a conviction that the State is misleading us, the virus is not that bad, the stats on death and health effects are exaggerated.

Still working on countering it without  alienating them, but it's like the realization that your family member or friend has joined a cult.

• Like 3

Riotproof

It must be hard when it’s family. I follow Craig Kelly only because I was trying to understand what these people were thinking. I cannot see anything that helps me understand. 

It really is sooooo culty. 

• Like 1

Romeo Void

I wish our Government had better control over this sort of thing. 

• Like 1

steppy

Yeah this really is the other pandemic. It's really made me think of that bible quote 'Idle hands are the devil's workshop'. Too many people unable to live their normal lives, travelling, watching sport, visiting family, working, all ready to hear of some way out and all worried about the current state of the world. I'm getting why the Romans thought bread and circuses were so important. 

• Like 4

~Bob~
On 08/10/2020 at 10:16 PM, Ernegirl said:

it's like the realization that your family member or friend has joined a cult.

That is exactly what has happened. It’s an online cult. 

I’ve nearly started a thread like this a couple of times, but I couldn’t get my words right. I believe this will become a very significant problem, in fact, it already is.

For those that don’t know much about it, I’ll do a summary!

They start by getting them in with a ‘save the children’ story. They are convinced that there’s a huge cabal of child sex traffickers running the world. The main perpetrators are most Hollywood actors and Democrats. There are some republicans named, but way more from the left wing. 

Before I go too far toward bat sh*t crazy, they start with articles like “Why do we care about a disease that kills 1% of already old people, when 8 million kids go missing every year” Then you click on the article and they talk about the horrific fact that 8 million kids are missing and no one cares. When you google that, it’s 8 million reports of missing children. 99% of which, are found easily. The usual reasons like, running away, parental custody disputes etc. There are a small few who are genuinely abducted by strangers. The amber report system has resulted in (I can’t remember if it’s 40% or 60% of those being returned). Unfortunately, some are murdered and some (the number varies annually, but 100-300) are never found. I should have prefaced, these are American numbers because QAnon (or IQNone as I call it) is geocentric.

Once you believe that, and you’ve clicked on an article, and you click through to more, you’re teaching the algorithm that you are into this. Then your profile matches other people who are susceptible to conspiracy  theories and QAnon propaganda, so the social media algorithms start giving you more of this. They have more articles about Pizzagate, a pizza shop with an underground basement that keeps trafficked children. A man even went there with a gun threatening to kill people if they didn’t let the kids out. He apologised when it was found that their was no basement, yet many of them still believe this pizza shop, which is frequented by celebrities, has the basement. 

It then goes further, that the celebrities order their child using references to pizza and toppings, and the child is delivered. It goes very far, to say that the children are tortured and raped and when they are, they produce adrenaline, which produces adrenochrome. If you eat the child’s flesh, you ingest adrenochrome, and you look very young. (Google adrenochrome before and after, and they show celebrities like Ellen and Celine Dion allegedly before and after they’ve had it)

They also believe that Trump is secretly taking it all down. He’s the saviour. He’s stopping the trafficking and some of the after pictures of celebrities is because they have no access to the adrenochrome. That’s why there’s a huge push to dump Trump, because they want it back, they want him gone so he can’t stop them anymore. 

They also believe in lots of other really out there things. Once you’ve digested and believed ^ you’ll pretty much be up for anything. And by this stage, your social media feed is full of it, because the algorithm was never designed to filter out bat sh*t crazy, it’s designed to keep you using the poker-machine-like platform, so it keeps feeding you things like this.

They believe that the pandemic isn’t real. It’s a plandemic, or scamdemic. Some believe that there are tunnels underground many major cities that are used to move the trafficked children around. In fact, the Melbourne lockdown....it’s to keep you in your house so you don’t see them moving the children through the tunnels....what a great excuse. And this one is true, because I saw it myself, a mother wrote a facebook post explaining that her adult daughter called her crying because she is in the military in SA and was asked to go to Melbourne to help move the children through the tunnels. It was a screenshot of the post shared around....so of course, it must be true.

They tend to be anti vaxxers, even if they weren’t to start with. They think Bill Gates started the plandemic so he could give everyone a ‘vaccine’, which actually has a microchip in it that will track you and it also injects a substance that will sterilise you. If you google that, you find articles explaining it.

It all sounds bat sh*t crazy and it’s easy to laugh it off, except, people are really falling into this. And once they do, they find other like people. And just like a cult, these people warmly embrace them and they have a place where they feel like they belong. Then....when the person starts sharing things, and their friends point out the obvious, they are encouraged to cut off their family and friends because the cult will love them and they are family now. They talk about how they know more, they are enlightened, there will be a great awakening, they are awake, we need to wake up.

I know I’m going to sound a bit crazy here, but I’ve looked into this a lot, and I read an article by a person who got right into this, to see if they could find the source, who Q might be. The main person seems to be a far right wing red neck from Texas, I think, who was the owner of the forums 4chan and 8chan, where “Q” dropped his/her/their clues. The author was an online gaming programmer and said it was like a virtual game and used the same systems. But he went on to say that Russia are involved. What they want more than anything is for civil unrest in America, and this delivers it beautifully. I know that will sound like I’m wearing a tin foil hat, but I give the theory a lot of credit.

I know my reply is long, but if you take one thing from this, if any one of your friends starts posting anything that says “save our children” try to get to them with the truth before they fall down the rabbit hole.

And the sad thing is, they are making the charities that are truly trying to stop child sex trafficking very hard by reporting things that aren’t crimes and taking up a lot of the phone line capacity.

Edited by ~Bob~
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 11
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3

redsocks

Great summary Bob- thank you. No one close to me has succumbed (not that I know about anyway) but good to know about the initial warning signs 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

VigilantePaladin

All of Bob's post have been some episode of the Law and Order franchise. The pizza shop one was a Chinese restaurant and a governor ended up dead.

I've seen the stuff shared. Some people are just so gullible....

• Like 2

Sancti-claws

My DH drinks some of that koolaid, unfortunately.  His church and the connections through there seem to sprout it too.

However I have noticed a few more of the "concerned about child abduction" stories on friends' timelines and it is hard to come in and say "no, don't care about the anonymous children" because of course, who wouldn't - but the slippery slope has been started...

• Like 3

Ernegirl

Bob, thank you for doing the hard yards and really laying out the Yelliwbrick road that's been followed.  

With respect VigilantePaladin, I don't think it's simply gullible people. I think it's precisely because the initial narrative starts off so plausibly, and so realistic, that people are sucked in drop by drop. It's gas lighting. For instance, when I expressed my concern to my brother about the rise in covid cases again in UK and Ireland, he instantly shot me back a graphic with stats on the current proportion of ICU patients in the UK, of which only 1pc were covid related. I doubt the veracity, but the underlying point was Covid is just a front, it's not a real problem.

This delusion is happening across all social strata. Just recently the presenter Kirstie Allsop got into a twitter spat with the author Michael Rosen, over the seriousness of the covid threat to health. Michael Rosen ("We're going on a Bear Hunt" author) spent weeks in ICU after contracting Covid, and has been rendered partially blind and deaf as a result IIRC.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/sep/30/michael-rosen-on-his-covid-19-coma-it-felt-like-a-pre-death-a-nothingness

It is revolting to me  that this form of  trolling by people with a malign political agenda is seriously undermining social cohesion, family cohesion and mental health at a time when we have real problems to deal with ☹️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

~Bob~
28 minutes ago, Sancti-claws said:

However I have noticed a few more of the "concerned about child abduction" stories on friends' timelines and it is hard to come in and say "no, don't care about the anonymous children" because of course, who wouldn't - but the slippery slope has been started...

It’s perfect, isn’t it. It’s no accident that they start with ‘save the children’, because if you don’t agree with it, you’re an a**hole. 

If I see anyone posting the 8 million children story, I google it, find the real stats and share it and tell them as kindly as I can, that one child being trafficked is way too much, but that the 8 million number isn’t accurate, it’s in the hundreds that go missing (which is still too many) but far less than the 8 million.

• Like 2

gruidae

Edited by gruidae
going into hiding
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

AnythingGoes
10 hours ago, ~Bob~ said:

Some believe that there are tunnels underground many major cities that are used to move the trafficked children around. In fact, the Melbourne lockdown....it’s to keep you in your house so you don’t see them moving the children through the tunnels....what a great excuse. And this one is true, because I saw it myself, a mother wrote a facebook post explaining that her adult daughter called her crying because she is in the military in SA and was asked to go to Melbourne to help move the children through the tunnels. It was a screenshot of the post shared around....so of course, it must be true.

See the problem with the QAnon people is that they believe in this massive conspiracy theory which is freely talked about on facebook and you tube. Clearly that is just a smoke screen for the actual real truth -  which is that lockdown in Melbourne was so long because our tunnel systems are more extensive than the other cities and it is taking longer to clear out the alien hybrids from them.

Try finding that on facebook and youtube QAnon sheeples.

• Haha 5

Riotproof

They all think climate change is a big conspiracy too. 

• Like 3

Ernegirl

Actually when you think about it, a lot of it is cherry picked from US pop culture. The lizard thing was a plot line in a Dean R Kootz novel I read as a teenager. The Law and Order plotlines too.

I wish Sasha Baron Cohen would do a mockumentary on the whole business to show up the absurdity and expose the charlatans.

• Like 6

Crombek

I think they'd still believe it @Ernegirl. They *want* it to be true, that's what is so scary. 

The one person I know that's fully into it seems like one of those who are on a never ending self improvement quest. List of "qualifications" a mile long, paid tens of thousands of dollars to attend a Tony Robbins circle jerk in another country, and believes in angelic healing, but also in forex trading.

Anyone presenting her with evidence contrary to her woke opinion is simply a toxic emotional vampire that she will not allow to drain her empathic energy anymore. And is cut from her life simple as that. 

• Sad 2

Lunafreya

I think it’s Save Our Children, Save the Children is a legitimate charity 

~Bob~
1 hour ago, Lunafreya said:

I think it’s Save Our Children, Save the Children is a legitimate charity 

Yes, it is, but QAnon have taken over #SaveTheChildren too and have a facebook group with the same name https://www.facebook.com/groups/825679887838949/?ref=share

• Sad 2

steppy

Yes and the adrenochrome nonsense is based on anti-Semitic beliefs that have hung around for centuries with a dash of Clockwork Orange and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's just utter nonsense, but those cultural references make it look like it 'might' be true, which is enough for anyone who is looking for a reason to hate whoever they are scared of. 

And we all see the save the children and pedophile stuff for what it is. Everyone uses children as a justification if they possibly can, from people who want to fence pools, monitor the internet, ban abortions, preserve the future or get you to believe intellectuals should be killed. As soon as someone says 'what about the children' I'm suspicious. It's so easy to use, whether you care about the children or not. If you can make someone believe they're doing something virtuous, you can get them to look the other way when an undesirable is led to the train. 

Like Miranda Devine the other day - wah my mate's are losing money, you selfish old folk. What about the children. We all know children are worth more than you so just die already. Of course, she couldn't give two stuffs about children, or she'd be behind increases to social welfare etc. But this appeal allows other people with their own agendas to be ready to sacrifice old people for the good of dear sweet innocent children. Doesn't sound so good when you say 'kill the old, I'm losing money'. 

Edited by steppy
  • Like 8

purplekitty

A lot of the spread of this can be laid at the feet of Zuckerberg and FB.

He has promoted and allowed many antisocial networks to thrive with FB algorithms.

The antivaxxers spread like a virus on FB before QAnon and now we see so many separate conspiracy theories and theorists coalescing together into the one huge, throbbing pustule that's QAnon. 

It also means that FB needs Trump and other right wing numpties to remain in power because the left have talked about reigning in the malignancy and influence of social media companies.

A never ending vicious circle.

• Like 6

nori_roll
7 hours ago, gruidae said:

There are Brazilian Pentecostals (Universal Church of the Kingdom of God) that have recently shown up wreaking havoc in my community- tearing families apart, kids with disabilities being put through "deliverance" sessions from demons and other high strangeness They're preying very heavily on Pacific Islander and Sudanese families. The members of their church all suddenly get into this QAnon stuff as soon as they join. So there seems to be a Pentecostal link that's international.

Scary to think our Prime Minister is a Pentecostal.  Shivers.

• Like 2

Bethlehem Babe

This is why I honestly believe Scott Morrison is possibly the most dangerous politician going around. 
Smart and smarmy enough to get liked by going to the footy, too close to this stuff and corruption. 

• Like 8