Sign in to follow this  
nasty buddha

portable DVD players for car trips vs another solution?

nasty buddha

Hi EB, 

Thinking of getting a dual screen portable DVD for car trips as doing lots of longer trips with two smaller kids over the next 12 months and it will help keep kids entertained.

Does any one have recommendations? Or perhaps have a better solution? Should I just use my phone or buy a tablet? 

Technology becomes so redundant so easily - trying not to waste money and waste resources, so any opinions or experiences may help me make a decision.

Thank you 

dadwasathome

I would have thought a DVD player was already redundant, depending on what DVDs you own. In this day and age, tablets seem a much more future proofed opioin.

• Like 4

overlytired

I'd agree the portable DVD players are redundant. They are also not very sturdy and you may be better off buying inexpensive tablets.

• Like 1

Green Sage

Just use an iPad. We have two old iPads the kids use in the car. One is really old, barely works, but streams video fine. 
You can download Netflix shows onto your device before you leave, and then watch them offline. They don’t last long, but long enough for a car trip. I download a dozen episodes of their favourite shows, And the kids watch those. Or you can let them hot spot from your phone.

you can also just load videos directly on to the device, if you have the files, but I find Netflix so much easier. 

add in a few kid-friendly games and it keeps the kids quiet for hours! 
If they’re old enough, get them some good headphones too so you don’t have to listen to the noise.

• Like 1

dadwasathome
1 minute ago, Green Sage said:

Just use an iPad. We have two old iPads the kids use in the car. One is really old, barely works, but streams video fine.

I remember loading videos onto a reasonably high capacity iPad to keep a 5yo occupied on a trip.

That 5yo turns 13 in December and still uses exactly the same ipad to watch videos.

• Like 3

nasty buddha

ipads sound like better longevity. I can see once older, they might like music and games on the ipad too. Headphones sounds like a good option once older.

Excuse my ignorance, how do I put videos onto an ipad? I can sorta guess the netflix idea - as that would be streaming it. Good to hear it saves it for offline viewing when in a car. I don't have enough data on my phone to tether it / hotspot. Are there also other ways - so do I connect an ipad to my computer and transfer files? do I download stuff from apple?  (Sorry I'm not tech savy in this particular area, so if anyone can help spell it out for me or point me in the right direction that would be nice).

123Tree

If do either iPad or DVD player get a headphone jack split thing that means they can both plug their head phones in and listen.  It helps if they are in a waiting room or the car and are watching together.  Otherwise they want it up really loud so they can both hear.

We had a portable DVD player and to be honest it was much easier because the kids just watched the video they had picked before we left home. There was no arguing about games or having to supervise YouTube (for dodgy content). Plus you could probably get a second hand DVD play very cheaply off ebay.  But having said that we were in your stage a fair few years ago and DVD's are less common.

• Like 1

dadwasathome
9 minutes ago, nasty buddha said:

Excuse my ignorance, how do I put videos onto an ipad? I can sorta guess the netflix idea - as that would be streaming it. Good to hear it saves it for offline viewing when in a car.

Sorry, I don't know that I've done it since I did for that (then) 5yo. A quick google shows a few way - it also depdnds on how you currently have your videos stored.

• Like 1

overlytired
54 minutes ago, nasty buddha said:

ipads sound like better longevity. I can see once older, they might like music and games on the ipad too. Headphones sounds like a good option once older.

Excuse my ignorance, how do I put videos onto an ipad? I can sorta guess the netflix idea - as that would be streaming it. Good to hear it saves it for offline viewing when in a car. I don't have enough data on my phone to tether it / hotspot. Are there also other ways - so do I connect an ipad to my computer and transfer files? do I download stuff from apple?  (Sorry I'm not tech savy in this particular area, so if anyone can help spell it out for me or point me in the right direction that would be nice).

It doesn't save automatically; you have to go in and download the individual episodes / movies.

• Like 3

nasty buddha
3 minutes ago, overlytired said:

It doesn't save automatically; you have to go in and download the individual episodes / movies.

thanks for letting me know

Green Sage
52 minutes ago, nasty buddha said:

Honestly, don’t bother transferring files. If you haven’t done it before. It can be tricky and not all files work.

just pick your favourite streaming app and download some files for offline use. And maybe buy one or two movies off iTunes as a backup for when the streaming ones expire. It’s so much easier.

i just had a look and you can rent a movie off iTunes for $2.99, or buy it for $9.99. It downloads straight to your device. No need to worry about file compatibility, etc. Android has an equivalent through the google play store I think.

if your tablet device takes a sim card, there are some cheap pre paid data only sims you can get and then the kids can stream ABC kids and the TV Freeview channels etc. It can be cheaper than signing up to a paid streaming service. Might be worth considering. The ABC kids app is great cause it’s just kids stuff. Nothing inappropriate. But you can’t download stuff for offline like with Netflix.

• Like 2

*Andi*
Posted (edited)

My kids have cheap Samsung Galaxy tablets, with good cases. My galaxy is more expensive, with more room on it. They work beautifully and were very handy for home learning! 

If you don't get data ones (we don't) then you won't need to worry about them accessing inappropriate videos etc, unless they use them at home. We download the shows from Netflix and Stan and they watch those with headphones. We haven't used them in the car, just if I have an appointment or something, but would be the same. 

Some apps don't require data to use too. 

Edited by *Andi*
  • Like 3

rosie28

I think DVD players are redundant, we haven’t had one for over 10 years. We have iPads for long car trips or flights (and now, for home learning).

• Like 1

nasty buddha
47 minutes ago, Green Sage said:

Honestly, don’t bother transferring files. If you haven’t done it before. It can be tricky and not all files work.

just pick your favourite streaming app and download some files for offline use. And maybe buy one or two movies off iTunes as a backup for when the streaming ones expire. It’s so much easier.

i just had a look and you can rent a movie off iTunes for $2.99, or buy it for $9.99. It downloads straight to your device. No need to worry about file compatibility, etc. Android has an equivalent through the google play store I think.

if your tablet device takes a sim card, there are some cheap pre paid data only sims you can get and then the kids can stream ABC kids and the TV Freeview channels etc. It can be cheaper than signing up to a paid streaming service. Might be worth considering. The ABC kids app is great cause it’s just kids stuff. Nothing inappropriate. But you can’t download stuff for offline like with Netflix.

thank you. I'm starting to work it out now. 

It's a shame the streaming expires.  Apparently a few days for netflix? 

MarchyMama
Posted (edited)

We have had 2x dvd players for a few years - I prefer them to the iPad for a long trip because there's no BS when their games don't work because there's no internet. 

We get all our DVDs from op shops, and the girls donate back ones that they're sick of, and can choose whichever ones they want. Most op shops have a decent selection and are usually less than $2 a disc. In a few places we've bought the old ones in to donate (especially in small towns) and the volunteers have let the girls swap them over for new ones when they tell them what they're up to.

Re: Netflix downloads I think they last about 2 weeks? and if you've got a decent data plan on your phone you can use it as a hotspot for the iPads to download different stuff. 

Edited by MarchyMama
  • Like 1

lizzybirdsworth

We prefer the DVD player. We have hundreds of DVDs plus some on USB or sd cards that go into the laser brand DVD player we have from big w. 
the kids argue over the iPads/ watch 2 different shows without their headphones because they hurt their ears after a period of time. 

• Like 1

dadwasathome
8 minutes ago, lizzybirdsworth said:

We prefer the DVD player. We have hundreds of DVDs plus some on USB or sd cards that go into the laser brand DVD player we have from big w. 
the kids argue over the iPads/ watch 2 different shows without their headphones because they hurt their ears after a period of time. 

It wasn't clear to me whether the OP had DVDs to feed a player. If they have lots it may be worthwhile, but it's not worth buying a redundant format. It's been over 10 years since I went through the hassle of putting stuff on DVD for a long road trips (young kids so episodes of favourite TV shows were better than movies)

SarahBelle48

We have a portable DVD player with dual screens and it works great for our kids. It came with a thing to put it on the headrest and also has a remote so we can control it from the front. I actually find it is better that they can just watch one disc (movie or wiggles etc) and then we can say no more until the next stop. We got them to choose 15 or so DVD's before we left so we put those discs into a holder rather than having 20 DVD cases. I bought it from Big W for about $100ish a few years ago and its still going strong. It plugs into the car power as well so it never runs out of power.