Karlooney77

Lletz Procedure

Karlooney77

Have my lletz book in for 2 weeks time. Quite nervous about it, I have so many questions but no one to ask. Sucks doing this during a pandemic.

I've been reading up on the procedure but the internet is a fickle thing and there's so many variety from different people and doctors and just wish the hospital would tell me exactly what's going to happen so I can fully prepare myself. But they said they'll call with details a couple days before the actual surgery. So far all I know is the date and hospital.  That's it.

So here I am stewing for the next week and a half thinking of all the possibilities that could happen.

Green Sage

I’ve had one. What are your questions?

It was a general anaesthetic, I fell asleep, woke up feeling amazing, and that was it. No cramping,  hardly any sporting. Nothing. It was easiest surgery I’ve ever had.

And a successful one too, all follow up Pap smears have been fine.

i believe the impact of the Lletz does depend on how bad the cell changes are. My Dr said he barely took away a millimetre or two of skin. And he specifically told me before hand not to google it, because it’s a much smaller skin removal than they used to do, so there is a lot of scary stuff on the internet. According to my Dr, anyway.

ive since had 2 kids too. First was IVF, second was natural. No idea if the lletz contributed to the infertility. Highly unlikely though. And I had no troubles in either pregnancy with cervix length or anything. 

• Like 1

Karlooney77

Thats good to hear. Ive read stories where theres alot of pain and bleeding. But I think every procedure is different depending on the circumstances.

I just wanna know small things i know most people cant answer cause each case is different, like pain and stuff. Also what happens with my undies, do i wear them in and they take it off or do they ask me to take it off from the start.

Also after-care stuff, I'm supposed to get my period a couple days after my procedure, is it true that I cant use tampons for 4-6 weeks after, and how its going to affect my period. Also read no sex for 4-6 weeks but is it the same for self-love. Or just avoid anything down there action.

Plus I've haven't told any of my family about having the procedure because they'll just panic and send me into an anxiety attack so I dont really have anyone to support me through this except a friend whose gonna pick me up from the hospital. But freaking out whats gonna happen after the surgery and I get home (still live with parents) and they suspect anything. Stupid covid or else I wouldve stayed at friends house that night until i feel a lil better (incase im drousy or in pain or anything)

Thanks.

Fossy

I had this done a few years ago now, like PP I had no pain and minimal bleeding, the dr said to wear a panty liner for a few days but it was never dirty.

have you had anaesthetic before? That might give you an idea of how you feel, it’s very light sedation For lletz. I was in and out in 3 hours and we went camera shopping on the way home. Maybe just tell your family you have a headache or something and spend the arvo in your room resting/watching tv if you feel a bit knocked about. 

hospital wise I wore undies in, they (I assume!) took them off , did the procedure then put them back on with a liner. I was told no tampons for my next period but was ok to have sex after I saw the doc one week post op.

Good luck. If you’re feeling anxious maybe email your gyno and ask any questions, that way you’ll get your Dr specific instructions too. 

• Like 1

nom_de_plume

I booked it for a Fri. I was in and out in a few hours. They went through all the paperwork, inserted a cannula and I walked into the operating theatre. I'm pretty sure I was wearing undies. They gave me the anaesthetic and next thing I knew I was sitting in a chair in recovery.

Mum picked me up and we stopped at a cafe for lunch as I was starving. Then I went home and napped all afternoon because I was tired from the anaesthetic. I had no pain, cramping or bleeding, but I did feel a bit heavy? Is probably the only way I can describe it.

Something that wasn't explained to me is you can become more fertile immediately after the procedure. DD was conceived the first time we did the deed after I had my surgery.

I was told no tampons or sex for 4 weeks due to risk of infection as there's a wound. I think we had sex around the 3-4 week mark.

You're also supposed to have more frequent pap smears afterwards, but that was delayed because I was pregnant. Once I got my period back I had them every 6 months for 18 months and then yearly thereafter.

Karlooney77

Well Ive never been under anaesthesia before so i guess ill find out on the day how I'll feel afterwards. I actually like being in the hospital but never had a surgery or procedure done before. So maybe that'll change my view of things. 

Does it feel/seem like you're going into surgery,  cause I just keep thinking it's just a small outpatient procedure but is it all done in a actual operating room with doctors nurses? Will i need an IV drip needle.

Also what type of prepwork I need for that area, do I need to shave or trim (i usually keep it shaved but its not fully shaved) or even a Brazilian?

Then I think what do I need to bring with me, spare undies? A book if there's a wait? What do i do with my stuff during the procedure. Is it just dump all my things in a bag and leave it by the bed? Will i be in a private hospital room or in a public room with just sheets for privacy between patient beds. 

Also if it does turn out im one of those people who does get alot of pain and bleeding would they give me any pain relievers for that or just regular paracetamol 

Sugarplum Poobah
4 minutes ago, Karlooney77 said:

Well Ive never been under anaesthesia before so i guess ill find out on the day how I'll feel afterwards. I actually like being in the hospital but never had a surgery or procedure done before. So maybe that'll change my view of things. 

Does it feel/seem like you're going into surgery,  cause I just keep thinking it's just a small outpatient procedure but is it all done in a actual operating room with doctors nurses? Will i need an IV drip needle.

Also what type of prepwork I need for that area, do I need to shave or trim (i usually keep it shaved but its not fully shaved) or even a Brazilian?

Then I think what do I need to bring with me, spare undies? A book if there's a wait? What do i do with my stuff during the procedure. Is it just dump all my things in a bag and leave it by the bed? Will i be in a private hospital room or in a public room with just sheets for privacy between patient beds. 

Also if it does turn out im one of those people who does get alot of pain and bleeding would they give me any pain relievers for that or just regular paracetamol 

I've had a lletz done -- if it's under general then it's in an operating theatre. I had mine done at the Women's. There are no rooms as such for day procedures like this, beforehand you'll be in a waiting room with other quiet, slightly nervous women and you'll probably recover in a recliner chair rather than a bed. They should give you a bag hold your stuff, take as little as possible. No valuables other than your phone.

You definitely don't need to do any "prep" work. And I didn't have any pain from the procedure at all.

And honestly, if you've had a general it's better to let your parents know so they can keep an eye on you for the first 24 hours afterwards.

• Like 2

nom_de_plume

Yes, it's done in an operating theatre. I don't know who was all in there but there was the surgeon, anaesthetist and maybe one or two nurses? It's a very quick procedure. Only takes about 30mins.

You will have a cannula for the anaesthetic. It's usually inserted in the back of your hand or inside of your elbow. If you're feeling anxious they can give you a sedative before the anaesthetic, either via the cannula or some pills. My anaesthetist injected the anaesthetic straight into the cannula, but some may use gas first. I hate the gas, so my preference is always for the anaesthetic to be injected. They will usually chat to you and have music on in the background and it feels like falling asleep. You shouldn't need a drip.

They will probably give you a special soap to wash with on the morning of the procedure. Otherwise no 'prepwork' is necessary. They've seen it all before.

I would bring spare undies and a book. Wear comfy clothes that are easy to get dressed in and slip on shoes. You usually feel a bit woozy/drunk after an anaesthetic so it can be fun trying to get dressed afterwards! Don't bring valuables to the hospital. Irrespective of whether you're going private or public, they just get stored in a bag while you're in theatre. I went public. It was done in the day procedure unit. There were 3 big recliner chairs with curtains between in the holding bay, which is where they take you immediately before, and the same in recovery, which is where they take you afterwards. I think I was at the hospital for a grand total of 2.5 hours.

If you do have pain or bleeding they will absolutely give you medication and pain relief (whatever is appropriate for your level of pain). I can't remember exactly what they were but I'm pretty sure I had to take antibiotics for 5 days afterwards in case of infection.

little lion

If you’re having it done by a private gynaecologist, can you phone their rooms to ask to speak to their nurse regarding some questions about the procedure day? It sounds like you need a bit of reassurance by knowing what to expect. 

As mentioned by another person, I agree it is safer to let your parents know you’ve had an anaesthetic and procedure. A condition of same day discharge is usually that you not be alone that night and have a responsible adult around in case you need help. If you’re embarrassed, could you explain that it is a routine thing like inserting a Mirena? Sometimes those are done under GA too.

coastlife

I've had it and the Dr went with the smallest margin he could as I hadn't yet had children and wanted to (have had a child since) .    Bit of crampy and bleeding afterwards and some weird bits of what was removed came out later.  needed someone to pick me up and look after me for the night as was done under GA.

Green Sage
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Karlooney77 said:

ah, well, if you have never had an operation before, here are some basics:

You arrive in your normal clothes, something comfortable.  Bring a bag with some pads, just in case. Bring all your paperwork.  You will sign 100 forms, and then they take you to day surgery. There may be several waiting areas, an initial one, where your support person can stay, then a pre-op one where youre by yourself.

When theyre ready, they will get you to basically strip naked and put a gown on.  Some places let you keep your underwear on, but most prefer you naked.  This is not due to where the opetation is, but more for the general anesthetic.  You may have stick-on heart monitors, they may want access to you in case of a (very rare) bad reaction.  They just like you as a naked lump of meat, LOL.  they give you a bag for your clothes, or they will have soemwhere specific for you to put them.  dont worry, they dont lose your stuff.

Once you are gowned up you will probably wait somewhere, by yourself, in a bed, or comfy chair, until they are ready for you. This bit is soooo boring, and some places dont let you keep your phone on.  Ask for a blanket, its always freezing, dont know why, but just ask for the heated blankets, theyre so cosy.

Then you get wheeled in, or walk into theatre, and transferred to the operating table. There will be your Dr, the anaethetist, and a nurse. They should all have introduced themselves to you pre-surgery at some stage.

Then they put in an IV and put you to sleep.

Next thing you know, you wake up in recovery, in a bed. A nurse will check you, and you wait there a certain amount of time until they are confortable that youre ok, then you can go.  They will call your support person to come pick you up when youre ready, or they may let you call them, depends how you are.  You get dressed when youre ready, they will give you a pad if required, or use your own.  They will give you medications if required, or a script.

Then you go home.

All hospitals work a little bit diferently, but its all a variation on a theme. Thats the basics of day surgery, anyway (Ive had 4, only one was a lletz though)

Edit to add: you dont need to shave, if they need anything shaved they will do it during the surgery, or pre surgery, but you shouldnt need to for a lletz.

Also: day surgery is never a private room.  You will be waiting and recovering in a room with several other people.  they close the curtains.

Edited by Green Sage
  • Like 1

Karlooney77

My parents will be in the house if anything feels unusual after,  so i can always call out for them if i need help but they also tend to make my heart rate sky rocket and blood pressure rise so minimal contact will be better. Ive got a friend if mine who knows whats happening and will be driving me home after. 

Plus i actually like staying in the hospital, I find it calming and relaxing but I'm the type of person who packs their suitcase a month before a holiday, I just like to be prepared. 

Just thinking of colposcopys and how uncomfortable is it but at least now ill be unconscious for this.